2.5 gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanW0007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have a betta in a half gallon tank and I'm pretty bored with it. I saw a 2.5 gallon tank the other day and it seemed to be the perfect size for him (and my shelf). I noticed it came with a versatop and striplight. Then I started wondering if I could create a nice planted tank for him.

I'm guessing the striplight it comes with doesn't put off many watts, so does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do? The striplight is a thin 12 inches, and comes with a standard fluorescent bulb.

Assuming this is even possible, anyone have any suggestions for what types of plants?

Java moss is easy to grow, does not need a lot of light, stays small, and seems like a favorite of bettas.

Anacharis also grows well in low lighting - I used to have some in my 2.5 betta tank. The good thing with anacharis is that you could plant some and leave some floating - your betta should love that.

You could plant crypts and java moss/fern in there. Tiny planted tanks are very cool, and very beneficial to the fish.

I've got anacharis, java moss, and hornwort growing well in a low/sunlight lit 2.5g. My tank (link) isn't well aquascaped or anything, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Your example is better, czcz, since it is the same as the tank size in question, but here's a pic of my 5gal, which I consider a tiny tank, and while the growth is not overwhelming (what a pain if it was!) it is very satisfactory.

normal_s%205gal%20planted.jpg

Your example is better, TG, because its AWESOME :)

Thanks czcz - I hope it will inspire people to plant small tanks, since plenty of people assume you can't.

Wow, thanks everybody. Lots of good info. Those tanks look great, hopefully mine will be something like that.

One last question. I work at a pet store, so I can get mostly everything I need there, except the only substrate we carry is regular gravel. Is the special dirt type mix that much better for planted tanks or can I just go with gravel and have just as much growth?

Regular gravel is fine, or even sand. If you plant crypts they are heavy root feeders so it will help to use a root tab like the one by Seachem.

Back
Top Bottom