2.5g Nano 12/2/06!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been posting a lot of pics and info about my 2.5g tank lately, so I thought it should have its own thread instead of hijacking other people's. I've become very proud of this tank, and I give all credit (and blame) to AA. :)

This little tank started out as an experiment to test out Walstad's method of keeping a planted tank. The details of the experiment are in another thread, but the slow growth in the tank made aquascaping impossible so the tank was always just a scraggly mess. Here's a pic of the initial setup:
nano.jpg

And the last really, really awful shot of the tank at the end of the experiment phase (10/16/06):
101606.jpg

The tank had to be moved away from its window spot so I got a 13 w lamp for it. It may not surprise you, but light had been a limiting factor thus far. The plants really took off and finally started to look really healthy.
A month and eight days later (11/24), it looked like this:
112406.jpg

Now that my semester is almost over, I spent my extra time trimming, rearranging, and collecting. I got some Java fern "wendelov" and hydrocotyle from An t-iasg. Today, to celebrate the end of classes I bought myself that spectacular purple plant front right (Limnophila aromatica? I knew when I saw it that it would be difficult, but I couldn't pass it up) and a bamboo shrimp that went in another tank. I will probably go back and pick up some more celebratory plants when finals are over. I'll take any excuse :)
My big goal is 1) a well-composed aquascape that is 2) scaled to make it look like a much bigger tank, not counting the betta and the massive ramshorn. Critiques are welcome.
dec206.jpg

Tank stats:
2.5 g
13w CF
Gravel and potting soil subtrate
No filter, ferts, or CO2 (hahaha! :twisted:)

Flora:
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze
Elatine triandra
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Microsorum pteropus "wendelov"
Rotala rotundifolia
Limnophila aromatica

Fauna:
Betta - Cameo
MTS and a very large ramshorn

Edit: Props to An t-iasg, frenchpea2002, and fish_4_all who sent me plants.

If not for the Betta in there it would be difficult to tell what size tank it was. Nice work, great little tank :)

The scale is perfect-makes us wonder where you got a 12-inch betta and a 4-inch snail!

Swap 'em out for some Heterandria formosa and you've got a wee wonderland.

New slogan: "Celebrate with H formosa". Wheeeee!

You may be right, Lisa. They are terribly cute. I will be on the lookout.

Looks great, I agree, no way i'd guess that was a 2.5 except for the betta!

I don't think that's L aromatica, my guess is Ludwigia glandulosa (might be grandulosa, I can't remember). A touchy plant but beautiful. I have L aromatica, I love it, it's gorgeous, but I think it would quickly get too big for a 2.5 (mine reaches the surface in a 55 in a couple of weeks).

You can't tell in the above pic, but the plant has serrated leaves.

limno.jpg

I wish I could pull off a nano that well! I think you are going to have to become a bonzi master to keep that looking good though! ;)

Very cool thread. I would love to see updates of this one, through thick and thin.

You are setting the bar here for the planted 2.5g's... I can only aspire to your greatness!

It's really looking good... now can I get first dibs on that purple plants' cuttings when you have to trim? :lol:

Yep, you're right....I've just not seen a piece of aromatica THAT purple! Good luck with it....you'll be trimming it soon, I promise!

Yeah, it's truly stunning, but it intimidates me a little bit. I hope I can keep it alive and gorgeous. *fingers crossed*

If I manage not to kill it, you get first dibs, Sicklid.

Are you an art student? I see all the supplies in the pics... That explains your skills at balance and layout. You've really got it going on with the right side purple juxtaposing the open area of the left side, which is where my eye goes to first. But then I just can't resist that red/purple on the other side, it forces me to look towards the right.

Truly, a good solid layout IMHO... You did a nice two-thirds/one-third type of design.

Nice yellow Betta, BTW.

And what are those baby plants in the foreground center, almost giving you a carpet?

Sicklid said:
Are you an art student? I see all the supplies in the pics... That explains your skills at balance and layout. You've really got it going on with the purple juxtaposing the open area of the left side, which is where my eye goes to first. But then I just can't resist that red/purple on the other side, it forces me to look towards the left.

Truly, a good solid layout IMHO...

Nice yellow Betta, BTW.

And what are those baby plants in the foreground center, almost giving you a carpet?
I just noticed that to! thats neat as I do black and white sketches (shadding etc. ) of fish/birds/houses etc.

Thank you for all the compliments!

Actually, at one point I was planning on art school, but I had a few bad experiences that turned me off from it :)(). I'm now Pre-Vet. But that art stuff just can't stay locked up, as you can see. I try to draw on what I learned from drawing and painting. It sounds really dorky, but I do kind of think of plants as an art medium. A cool thing I've tried to keep in mind is something I read here. Someone (can't remember who, sorry!) said they divide the tank into fifths, and try to put something interesting to look at in each part. I'm still working on it, but it was very helpful advice.

The baby plants are Elatine triandra. They are supposed to be the easiest foreground plant. If so, I don't want to meet the tough ones.

Blazey, we should start an artwork showoff thread in the Lounge! I'd like to see your work.

I try to draw on what I learned from drawing and painting. It sounds really dorky, but I do kind of think of plants as an art medium.

I have always looked at planted tanks as an art form (on the layout/scaping end of things, anyway)... Takshi Amano is an "artist" IMO. So is Oliver Knott, and others of course!

Blazey, we should start an artwork showoff thread in the Lounge! I'd like to see your work.

Count me in on that too, I am also an artist. You start it off, Mosaic.

One month later!
010207.jpg

Just trimmed. The E. triandra is looking delicious, and the L. aromatica is growing better than I expected, although without as much color as before. The Hydrocotyle has done squat since I got it.

I have a hard time photographing the tank, yet in the same photo session I also get this. Just a little showing off my betta boy. So crisp you could see the hydra on the glass (which I cropped out :)).
betta.jpg

Back
Top Bottom