2 Month old 16G Bowfront Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sad morning. The Koran Angelfish died in the night. I'm not sure why. The water is perfect and there are no aggressive fish in the tank that I would suspect. :confused:

Oh well. The search and research for a new fish begins.

It seemed like it was, but that is the only thing I can think of that may have been wrong. It was a very fun fish, too. Swam all around the reef, and always came out to see you when you came into the room.

I'm thinking of getting a few small green chromis today. They're a pretty fish that is very hardy and fun to watch swim in a school. And since they'll be the last fish into the tank there shouldn't be any aggression problems.

On the bright side, the birds nest coral is looking really good. The polyps are all in full bloom, and it seems to be thriving under my LED's.

The Koran Angelfish needs at least 250 gallon to survive.Your LFS should never have sold it to you without knowing your tank size.I would go and demand my money back.

At this fish's small size I don't think that was a factor. An adult Koran needs a lot of space to live, but a juvenile doesn't. Anyway, a school of 3 green chromis have joined my little reef community and are doing very well. They are very energetic and fun to watch swimming together around the aquarium. And I'm happy to say that now that my azure damselfish is gone the clownfish are beginning to explore the rest of the aquarium a bit more. And the goby has been busy creating a network of caves he has excavated under the rocks.

I'm glad the clowns are finally coming out! You are really overstocking this tank though, you will definitely have to keep up with water changes.

With the live rock the biological filtration has really picked up to where it has been able to handle the bioload really well.

I keep an eye on the water quality, of course, testing weekly for nitrates, phosphates, Calcium and KH, and every few weeks I go ahead and make sure the ammonia and nitrite levels are still at undetectable levels (which they always are). And I always change about 20% of the water every week.

That being said, this is fully stocked and I don't intend to add anything else in the way of fish. Perhaps just a few more ricordeas and I'd like to find an acropora frag or a montipora that I like. For the most part, though, my nano reef is basically complete. Now I just get to enjoy watching it mature. :popcorn:

Lost my diamond watchman goby and coral banded shrimp 3 days ago. Water tests didn’t explain the deaths, wasn’t even dirty or high in nitrates or anything. Changed the water will watch close.

On the bright side, it’s an opportunity to make some changes in the tank. I’m looking at adding at least one bubble-tip anemone (haven’t decided whether to get a green or rose yet). May also think about a new resident fish, and maybe a sand-sifting starfish or a linkia star.

The tank is now 9 months old and thriving. I may need to update with some new pics soon.

Opportunity to get a 36 gallon bow front for a good price. Will be making the switch to the larger tank this weekend, then next week I will be adding more live rock and a bubble-tip anemone. May add a dwarf flame angel after that as well. Will post pics.

Operation Bigger Aquarium Has Begun

Make that a 38 gallon, and not a bow front. They decided that one was twice as much money today as it was last night, so I went with the bigger, cheaper one with straight glass walls. But I have it at home, and over the next few days I’ll be figuring out how to get everything moved into the new tank and up and running. And I’ll be sure to take pics to document the change.

image-2362589207.jpg

10 gallon tank acting as temporary home for my fish and live rock until my filters can clear up the water in the new tank.

Attachments

• image-1533996841.jpg
    image-1533996841.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 125
  • image-968858428.jpg
    image-968858428.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 115
Just a quick update pic of how the new tank is doing. Added a green bubble tip anemone today. Hoping the clowns like it enough to host (fingers crossed).

Attachments

• image-3714056886.jpg
    image-3714056886.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom