2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, first of all I'd like to apologize for my inapropriate comment on one of my previous posts, I tend to forget that this is a forum for all ages at times, it won't happen again.
Now, I have a couple of bristle worms crawling around the tank, they are growing, are they a problem or can I keep them, and is it true that they can pack a punch if touched?
Second, I am using gravel substrate, can someone tell me the benefits of live sand vs gravel. What can I do to make live sand, I live in Canada and most places I have asked don't even know what it is. We don't have a lot of tropical areas up here.

Gravel substrate, the particles are merely too large to be a good Bio filtration system. Is this true gravel for like a Freshwater tank or Crushed coral?

The live sand(or a DSB) would allow you to eventually build up whats called a bio filter. This will help with stable water condtions.

Live sand just basically comes with allot of live critters in them while dead sand doesn't. Its good to put in some of both, The live sand will make the "dead" Sand live eventually.

I'd highly recomend to ya a DSB with some live sand mixed in, works much better then gravel.

Jacob

P.S. DSB is usually about 3-5" deep if I do remember correctly.

I'll ask what will probably be Somthing_fishy's next question as it is my question as well.

what is the best way to migrate from a non-DSB tank bed to a DSB? I started my tank with 2-3" of CC with 1" of LS. As you've probably guessed, most of the LS has settled into the CC and I feel i'm not getting all the benefits of a real DSB. So what is the best way to migrate my tank to a true, all sand DSB? I'm running a 55gal (stats in my bio) i'd imagine I could remove a portion of the LS/CC that is there and replace it with some southdown sand and cap it off with more LS. any thoughts?

i'd imagine I could remove a portion of the LS/CC that is there and replace it with some southdown sand and cap it off with more LS.
That would be my recomendation. I would move as much stuff (i.e rock, and any decorations) to one side of the tank, Replace half the substrate, then in a week, do the same thing, moving everything to the other side, then replace that half. when your done with that you can put everything were it was. HTH 0X

The bristle worms will not hurt anything in your tank, if fact they are benificial. However they can sting you, so be careful when you got your hands in the tank.

As far as converting a gravel/crushed coral bed to a dsb, this sticky post should answer all your questions. It is long but there is some great stuff in it. :D

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1494

when i'm removing my existing CC should i try and "sift" it and keep what LS is there? I had a good inch at least of LS in there and I saw LOTS of little critters in it, i can still see some worm tunnels up against the glass. I'd imagine I would want to keep as much of the existing LS and critters as I can. if I just go in and scoop it all out I'll be throwing away a ton of little critters that everyone is working so hard to GET. Any suggestions on how to keep what i have while still removing the CC?

[edit] what about rinsing the CC in tank water as I'm scooping it out?
if i do that and am successful I'll have about an inch of LS on the bottom of the tank after I take everything out. If I then bury it with DS, will the infauna be able to make their way to the top?
[/edit]

Back
Top Bottom