20 g planted build (newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, proper thread to start off right ;)
e3uny5ur.jpg
Here we are today. Ammonia 0.5, trites 0 trates 5-10. To do list this week: paint background black, add driftwood piece, rework plants, add river rocks (small) and another 5 lbs eco complete, 10 if I can find another 5lb bag. That level is just too low.
y8ategej.jpg
I added some water sprite floating for some dwarf gourami I'm eyeing. Tentative stock list, 3-4 gourami 1 male, 4 skunk Cory, 5 red platy, and 5 danios. All tips/input/words of wisdom appreciated!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks good. I am sure it will look great once you get your background painted and your plants start filling in.

Looks great so far! I love how natural it looks; it's very soothing. Almost makes me wish I'd gone with sand in my tank!

My only suggestion might be to replace the danios with some kind of small tetra. They tend to be a little bit hyperactive and might stress your gouramis out, but you never really know until you try.

Also make sure that the place you get your dwarf gouramis from is reputable - unfortunately a lot of them are of ill health from the get-go due to a very common virus specific to them. Honey gouramis are always a good alternative, too.

Yeah I can see this tank developing well, if you complete the to do list.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys! Yeah, I cannot wait! The wood needs another 5 days soaking, then that will be the day. Hope to get it painted before then.

Thanks Captain. I was actually plugging in tetras on aqadvisor in and out with danios and platy. That calculator is addictive.....

So, when the time comes, who should I add first?

Platies have a very large bio load for their size if you remove them just look how the stocking percentage drops.

My stocking suggestions for this tank would be either a pair of kribs or a pair of apistogramma, a group of corydoras one of the smaller variety like panda and a school of 6 to 8 tetras like serpae for example.

I hadn't even considered kribs or apistogramma. I will research them. Those pandas are cute too. Is there a red species of tetra out there? To replace the platys.
9e5y5usu.jpg
Second hot soak for the dw. It'll look cooler in the tank ;) It sank immediately so hopefully the water is clear in a few days. Omg I'm having so much fun!

A lovely red tetra is the Red Phantom. They look like serpae tetras but are less nippy for the most part.

Yes red phantom is a great call, the panda corys are super cute and they would love your substrate. Kribs and apistogramma are both awesome character dwarf cichlids which are ideal for your tank size. Both need a little cave to feel at home. This can be as simple as three rocks, two as walls and one as a roof or there's some lfs that sell half coconut shells with aquatic moss grown on the outside of the shell which could be pretty cool in a planted tank.

I know nothing about cichlids. The moment I read "advanced aquarist" I moved on down the road. I love the look of them.

Don't let that put you off honestly, a cave as stated earlier no other special requirements for the two species mentioned.

That's it?? I'm a fast learner and I do like them....

ude9esur.jpg
8a3aqyne.jpg
ravu4ere.jpg
Tank rework today. Just finished, little cloudy. I still want some anarcharis for my talls, and frogbit. I'm glad I did the black background. Should make the fish easier to see.

Oh, and I removed the red ludwigia. I don't have the lighting for it and it wasn't happy in the tank :/

Ok need a bit of guidance. now I have my first nitrite spike. First time doing a complete fishless cycle. Today ammonia 0.25 trites 5 trates 10-20. I read the fishless thread, and I'm thinking I need a big wc, like 50%? I'm about a week and a half into the cycle as of right now. Thank you!
te3aryve.jpg

Back
Top Bottom