20 gal. Community tank with betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a 50 gal. tank for my goldfish and will now have a 20 gallon tank that I was hoping to turn into a community tank, I'm just wondering what other fish I could put in with him. He's a really calm fish but of course I'll be sure he's fine with others.
Anyways ya... what fish/how many could I put with him?

And is a 10 gal. tank good enough for a hospital tank for my goldfish while they're still small?

Male betta, I'm assuming? I've never kept them as a community fish but I've heard that they'll do fine as long as they're kept with fish that can't be mistaken for another male betta. So no fish with long flowing fins or tails or anything like that. I'm sure a betta expert will comment soon though. ;)
Female bettas you can be a little more flexible with but they're still aggressive.

It depends on what kind of goldfish you have and how small they are. I have two comet (bought as feeders) goldfish in a 10 gallon. They're doing just fine and eating like crazy as goldfish do. (HOGS) I'm growing them up a bit to go into an outdoor pond that has a four or five inch goldie in it already.

I've kept bettas in community tanks for a few years now with no issues. Fish with long fins usually don't mix well with bettas. Neither do gouramis.

You could keep a betta in a 20g with a group of small tetras and small bottom fish like cories or khulis.

Are you asking about keeping a betta with a goldfish? I've never kept goldfish, but from what I understand they are a coldwater fish and bettas thrive at 80F so I don't think that would work. I have a 29 gal community with a female betta and that works nicely. I'm scared to try a male in a community though! Barbs are nippy they don't work well with bettas.

We have a female beta in a 10 gal with a pair of swordtails and two cory cats and she does great. The beta and the female sword will play with each other it is so cute lol. We are planning on adding some ghost shrimp in with them to soon.

GoldfishNewbie moved his or her goldfish to a 50g and wants to start a community tank in the 20g.

I have a betta in a 40B with two GBRs that are about as colorful as I've seen. I've never seen the betta approach either of the rams. He likes to go flare at the rainbows instead.

I have kept a betta in the same tank as a school of neon tetras as well as cory catfish...as long as they are not brightly colored fish or have long finnage you should be okay. Otherwise they will attack!

Good coldwater fish that get along with goldfish are White cloud mountain minnows.

Back
Top Bottom