20 Gallon Long Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, all, I'm taking the plunge into saltwater with a 20gal long that I snagged for $5 from a yard sale.

I want to make this a build thread for other newbies like me to follow and hopefully learn from along with get advice from some "old timers". Stick with me, there's more to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Following, im hoping to start a 20 long SW too!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquariuml

I'm assuming it will be a reef since it is in the nano reef section lol. Any ideas for equipment? Will you be drilling the tank or just hob equipment?

I am also starting well im on my 3rd week of cycling my 15 gallon all in one tank
so good luck and enjoy your pet rocks.........lol

the one hint I have learnt is that nothing happens quickly so rather then looking at a empty tank ( except live rock ) I am upgrading all the support systems new led lights, fans, filter systems, pumps, power heads...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to stick with hob equipment and definitely soft corals.

Right now I have 25lbs of Caribsea reef sand and about 30lbs of rock. An AC 50 filter. A Coralife T5 HO light. A pretty hefty powerhead that I'll check the make on.

Water, sand and rocks are in. Pics to come!

The powerhead is an Aqueon 950. It puts in work.

Here is everything in. The rocks are in a pile for now just so I can get my cycle going.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404390605.488624.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out a marine/reef aquascape but I've never done this before. Here's attempt no. 1. Any suggestions are welcome!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404569026.760060.jpg

I actually liked the pile better.:lol: it's looks ok but there is a lack of depth and lack of potential for coral placement. Maybe go for one larger pile with rocks cropping out from it. It just looks a little unnatural right now.

I'll have to agree with you Dallas.. I was so torn on moving the pile around at all!

I'm looking to do a pair of clowns and just some soft corals.. Would the pile suit them well?

They won't care. The issue with a big pile is that you may get dead spots where not much flow occurs

the pile had more of a natural look
wow 950 in a 20L must be a very hard current and most likely blow over about any coral you would put in IMO ,
I had a 20L I used as a breeder I used 2 350's one on both sides 1 on the left side glass towards the front blowing lengthwise and other on the right side glass in the back blowing lengthwise , the one in the front would aim slightly inward and downward
and the back one was about 1/2 way down aiming upward and outward , the tank had some rock but not a lot but it had great flow through out , wasn't to strong or to weak was just perfect IMO
if you get clowns they most likely will rearrange any how , mine always do

I'm about 5 months into my 20L tank and I'm loving the experience. The one mistake I made when building my first scape was that I didn't give much thought to where and how I'd place corals as I collected them. I've had to rearrange a few times and add more rock. Looks like you're off to a good start! Flow can be tricky, I was either blowing my corals off the rocks or not getting enough flow. I finally have a nice balance when I arranged my circ pumps much like described above and my corals are doing well. You can have more stock than 2 clowns if you keep up maintenance. I've kept 4 nice sized fish in mine for months. Good luck!

I think I'll be adding a smaller powerhead to the front for that extra flow.

I also think I'll be working on a good rock pile when I get home from work.

I tested ammonia today and we're looking at 2ppm. I think I'm on my way.

Look through build threads on forums for aquascaping ideas. I've always been a fan of the big island small island look. Here's what I mean.
img_2984937_0_5a1f096a2e6819ae3da4872600e635f1.jpg
[/IMG] Looks like you've got some nice piece so I'm sure you'll be able to get something you like :)

I started out with the separate island look but ended up adding more rock as I added zoas.
Before and after.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404677296.430885.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404677386.158877.jpg

I got some "nano" pieces of life rock after work and I think I finally got it!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404695272.495365.jpg

The camera doesn't get the shadows and space very well.

I love the openness. Maybe arrange so it's not the same height all the way across though.

Love the tank. The fish love having openings in between the rock. If you can position the rock so they form cave like structures that would enable the fish to come out from hiding more. Here is a picture of my 29 gallon I have at work. Good luck.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405612081.953008.jpg

Hey, everyone, I'm back from vacation and after talking the house sitter through water test after water test the tank is cycled.. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate.

I'm planning on getting a little more rock today to vary the height in the back, as suggested, and to make a few more places in front to place corals.

20ppm is pretty low for the end of a cycle, you may want to dose a little ammonia and see how fast it's processed to nitrate

Back
Top Bottom