20 Gallon Stock Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking for ideas/advice on stocking a new 20 gallon tank that is in the midst of cycling. I rather more smaller fish as opposed to fewer large fish. Is "tropical community" a correct term? Colorful friendly fish...some schooling fish, some "loaners"? Thanks in advance for any ideas you have. Maybe a quick schedule of how many fish to start with and how many to add and when.

I think a group of tetras such as neons, a school of cories and a dwarf groumai and you would be good to go. A school is 6 it more. I would add the cories last as the at sensitive, start with the tetras so the DG dosen't claim the whole tank as his. Start with 4 tetras at first the add 2-3 more in a week, the a DG week later at least

Yep, jut make your tank is fully cycled. And be careful not to shock the bb by over loading the system to soon. But I think six in a fully cycled tank would be fine

The above suggestion and advice sounds good. You could do a lot of different stuff with a 20gal. Do you know if it is a 20 High or 20 Long? Both are fine tanks for community fish, longs give you more possibilities.

You could stock a bit of an odd community. First, I suggest replacing the neon tetras with penguin tetras. They catch the eye and just look strange so naturally people look more closely. A dwarf gourami is a beautiful fish, but for this community a pair of pigmy gouramis works just fine. There are several types. I'd add a more overt splash of color with 4-6 male Endlers Livebearers, they will hang with the pigmy gouramis up top most the time. I would go with cory cats for the bottom, but add 2-4 khuli loaches in just for fun. This tank would be flush with flashy fish that all move in very different ways. Kind of like fish on a parking lot all moving different speeds and directions all at once.

Start with the tetras, add the gouramis and Endlers, then the bottom feeders. I'd go slowly, say at least a month.

I bought a 20g for my male betta, got him some tetra friends, and cory friends=)

But yes, you don't want to add too many fish at once, they may be a bit of a bioload on your tank and harmful for your fish.

The above suggestion and advice sounds good. You could do a lot of different stuff with a 20gal. Do you know if it is a 20 High or 20 Long? Both are fine tanks for community fish, longs give you more possibilities.

You could stock a bit of an odd community. First, I suggest replacing the neon tetras with penguin tetras. They catch the eye and just look strange so naturally people look more closely. A dwarf gourami is a beautiful fish, but for this community a pair of pigmy gouramis works just fine. There are several types. I'd add a more overt splash of color with 4-6 male Endlers Livebearers, they will hang with the pigmy gouramis up top most the time. I would go with cory cats for the bottom, but add 2-4 khuli loaches in just for fun. This tank would be flush with flashy fish that all move in very different ways. Kind of like fish on a parking lot all moving different speeds and directions all at once.

Start with the tetras, add the gouramis and Endlers, then the bottom feeders. I'd go slowly, say at least a month.

All good stuff but two things. Its a 20 g high tank and I dont have any live plants so that could change things I think. Thank you again.

Alternative to dwarf flame goutami?

I decided to go with 5 neon tetras and the dwarf flame gourami to start the tank. The tetras are great and I will be adding more but the gourami seems to be hiding all the time. Is this normal behavior or just timid in a new tank. I want a 3 inch or so centerpiece for the tank and I would like another school of fish a bit larger than the neons. Thoughts? Thank you in advance for the advice.

I decided to go with 5 neon tetras and the dwarf flame gourami to start the tank. The tetras are great and I will be adding more but the gourami seems to be hiding all the time. Is this normal behavior or just timid in a new tank. I want a 3 inch or so centerpiece for the tank and I would like another school of fish a bit larger than the neons. Thoughts? Thank you in advance for the advice.

How long have you had the flam DG in the tank for?

Just a couple days. Maybe im being impatient.

I agree with the comment below. As long as you're providing good places for the DG to hide after a little while it'll feel braver in his new home and come out more. Another way to tell if hes okay is to make sure he eats when you feed him. A good appetite is a good sign in my opinion.

As an update four of my five neons died from swim bladder. They had only been at the pet store for a day when I bought them apparently. I replaced them w 4 red eye tetras and once the tank is more established Id like to add back the neons. Id like a few bottom feeders and a couple more red eyes. Obviously fish that will get along w the flame gourami. What about a few shrimp? I have read the red eyes might eat them though. Thanks for all the help.

As an update four of my five neons died from swim bladder. They had only been at the pet store for a day when I bought them apparently. I replaced them w 4 red eye tetras and once the tank is more established Id like to add back the neons. Id like a few bottom feeders and a couple more red eyes. Obviously fish that will get along w the flame gourami. What about a few shrimp? I have read the red eyes might eat them though. Thanks for all the help.

Corys would be a great choice for bottom feeders they get along with practically anything, they're fun to watch and move around a lot and they also are very social amongst themselves.

Corys would be a great choice for bottom feeders they get along with practically anything, they're fun to watch and move around a lot and they also are very social amongst themselves.

What do you think about a few shrimp as well and how many corys? Any particular cory?

What do you think about a few shrimp as well and how many corys? Any particular cory?

If you were to get shrimp with the corys id reccommend reading up on red cherry shrimp. The have color and are pretty hardy. They would definitely need places to hide though because when they molt they are vulnerable. Corys would do fine with them. Since you have a high tank and not a long tank the size of your bottom is something to consider. Corys love to be with no less than 4 to 5 of their own kind. Let other more experienced people on this forum tell you if itd be okay based on your tank. And any type of cory really. In my opinion julii or sterbai corys are my favorite but its up to you:)

Here is my hopeful plan for my stock. I ran it through AQAdvisor and it shows 101% capacity w 140% of filter capacity.

I am adament/committed to water testing and weekly pwcs of 30% or so.

1 Dwarf Flame Gourami - comitted
6 neon tetras - 1 committed (adding 5)
5 red eye tetra - 4 committed (adding 1)
5 julii corys - future adds
2 red cherry shrimp (or ghost) - future add

20 gallon high with fake plants. Lots of tall plants along back, a few small mid plants, mostly open front w a couple statues mixed in.

I would appreciate your feedback/edits

You should have a lower water level for corys. They intake air from the surface to help with their digestion. Just a thought before you get them. I personally love albino corys. =)

You should have a lower water level for corys. They intake air from the surface to help with their digestion.

Thank you Krissycakes. Thats why Im here to get input from the experts. Do you think a different bottom feeder would be a better option?

I have cory cats in a 29 high they are doing well about a month for oldest ... How low should wter be? 1-2 inch? I have an air bubbler in it

Back
Top Bottom