20 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
finally got to actually stocking this thing! heres my current plan. its mainly just a skeleton, and im not sure if im overstocking or not. heres what i have now.

4 julii corys
2 japanese algae eating shrimp
1 clown pleco (just temporary, needed to collect some of his waste)
2 platys

and what's next
2 cherry shrimp
6 bloodfin tetras
1 HDG
1 rainbow shark/angelfish?

so in effect what id like as my final stocking plan is:
4 juliis
2 JAS
2 platys
2 cherrys
6 bloodfins
1 HDG?
1 shark/angel?

mr.waffles1842 said:
finally got to actually stocking this thing! heres my current plan. its mainly just a skeleton, and im not sure if im overstocking or not. heres what i have now.

4 julii corys
2 japanese algae eating shrimp
1 clown pleco (just temporary, needed to collect some of his waste)
2 platys

and what's next
2 cherry shrimp
6 bloodfin tetras
1 HDG
1 rainbow shark/angelfish?

so in effect what id like as my final stocking plan is:
4 juliis
2 JAS
2 platys
2 cherrys
6 bloodfins
1 HDG?
1 shark/angel?

I would say NO to the angel or shark. What's the HDG? A honey dwarf gourami? I would do something like this:
6 juliis
2 JAS
2 platys
2+ cherries
6 blood fins
And 1 HDG, instead of this if you want a more aggressive fish/cichlid try a dwarf cichlid such as a GBR or apistogramma or many others.

yes, a honey dwarf gourami. why not a rainbow shark or angel? overstocking? not compatible? i just really want one. but i have to think of the fish first.

mr.waffles1842 said:
yes, a honey dwarf gourami. why not a rainbow shark or angel? overstocking? not compatible? i just really want one. but i have to think of the fish first.

Tank is just too small. Ive kept single or breeding pairs of angels in 20h by themselves and couldn't imagine adding anything else.

mr.waffles1842 said:

IMO angels should only go in tanks larger than a 35-40. 29 is min but just to be on te safe side I'd stick with a 40 if you want more fish. Rainbow shark because they are territorial and get 6" long! I would say a 50g min. They could also kill all of your fish. I'd stick with the HDG or do a dwarf cichlid.

the reason i want a semi aggresive fish is id like him to run the show and keep everyone in line. its like in my 25 gal, my serpae tetras keep each fish in their territory, especially the tiger barbs. they hang out in the anubias forest, but before the serpaes were attcking everyone. id like an angel or shark. i actualy prefer GBR's but i cant find any.

Like both Aqua and Jeta said, no angel, nO shark. You can order a gbr easily. They are being sold on here actually. They are not uncommon, but not all lfs/chains carry them. You can also get an apisto or Bolivian ram. If you want somebody to run the show, get red eye tetras or something else suitable for your tank. Or just stick with the dg. They can be plenty bossy too.

ok. guess i have to drop the angel/shark idea. :(... but its the fish that matter. hmmm... ordering a GBR... THAT will be super hard to pull off. got to talk to my mom and dad bout that one, and thats a definite NO... maybe for my birthday? plus i dont know how theyd react to a fish in a bag in a box on their doorstep...

CAn anyone tell me where they got theirs? i have 3 stores i go to, 2 of which i prefer over the other. 1 is The Fishman, and the other is PETCO. GBR's arent at either. i think i may have seen some at petsmart when i last went there, but i dont shop for live fish from there anymore. even if i did buy one, id have to treat it and stuff...

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Sunburst Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Note: Rainbow Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Rainbow Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 6 inches.
Warning: Japanese Algae Shrimp may become food for Rainbow Shark.
Warning: Cherry Shrimp may become food for Rainbow Shark
Warning: Angelfish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 6 inches

and it will be over stocked with an angelfish or a shark. they get too big.... just get some gourami or bolivian rams.

If you want someone to run the tank you could skip the HDG and get a regular dwarf gourami. They're actually different species. DGs get bigger and bulkier and are more assertive, even if they are generally docile.
I also echo what everyone else is saying about angels and the rainbow sharks. A 20 is OK for grow out tanks for angels, but definitely not permanent homes.

I would have to agree about that angel and shark but now I think you get the idea :)

I got my rams from a reputable LFS and they have lasted me about a year and four months now.

And the final changes to my plan are done!

1 platy (my other platy, a female one, was given to my friend, he has 1 male and 1 female already)
2 JAS
2 cherry shrimp
4 julii corys
6 bloodfin tetras
1 GBR

And im not sure if this would work, but could i still get a honey gourami? if not, no big deal.

No problem. Also for GBRs you can always look online at places such as on here, aquabid(make sure they have good reputation) and aquarium fish selling sights like liveaquaria. They all usually are very good!

mr.waffles1842 said:
And the final changes to my plan are done!

1 platy (my other platy, a female one, was given to my friend, he has 1 male and 1 female already)
2 JAS
2 cherry shrimp
4 julii corys
6 bloodfin tetras
1 GBR

And im not sure if this would work, but could i still get a honey gourami? if not, no big deal.

I would wait on the honey gourami for a while. Make sure everyone is happy and has swimming room not to mention that the parameters stay in check, then maybe you might be able to get a honey gourami I'd still check with others on that though.

Its just an idea. my grandfather has this BIG 75 or 85 gal, i cant remember, and his (and my) favorite gourami gave birth 2 weeks ago. he let me pick out a fry that i could have, and hes been keeping it healthy for me for weeks. and guess what? its a honey gourami!

I suggest a Bolivian ram they are hardier and water quality does need to be as perfec

*QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Care Level: Difficult
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 72-79° F, KH 5-12, pH 5.0-7.0
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Blue, Orange, Red, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Farm Raised, Thailand
Family: Cichlidae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview
The Ram is prized for its winning personality despite its fierce appearance. With its spiked dorsal fin, low-slung pectoral fins, Papiliochromis ramirezi appears to be an aquarium bulldog. However, this member of the Cichlidae family is actually one of the more social and peaceful freshwater fish. In fact, most Rams will actively swim with equally non-aggressive members of your community aquarium and are known to faithfully pair with just one other mate.
The German Blue Ram is known for its mottled deep blue splotches of color. The German Gold Rams have a gold body with hints of pink, orange, and red and the Electric Blue Rams are just that, electric blue in coloration.

For the best care, the Ram should be kept in an aquarium of at least 20 gallons with several dense plant groups scattered around plenty of open swimming space. The Ram also needs a few caves in which to hide and, if breeding, flat stones on which the female can lay her eggs. Though the Ram is very peaceful, both females and males can become aggressive towards other fish when hiding places are lacking or when tending to their eggs.

Impeccable water quality is also a must. The Rams breed in soft to medium hard water with a neutral pH and slightly raised water temperatures between 77° and 82°F. Peat should be added to the water. Both the male and female share the rearing of the fry, and it has been reported that the Ram will take fry into their mouths to protect them like a mouth brooder. Care should be taken so that the fry are not sucked into the filter.

Approximate Purchase Size: 1" to 1-1/2"

Back
Top Bottom