20g Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't... you'll need a food source to be added to the new tank along with the filter, whether that is pure ammonia, fish, or a rotting shrimp. Otherwise the bacteria will die. Also, it won't do you much good as far as cycling goes, unless you have run the filter on your dad's tank for 2-4 weeks. Do the gravel trick, also, just for good measure IMO.

thanks for the tip...I'll run the filter on our 29g tank for another week. Then I think i'll do the gravel trick and move the fitler to the 20g. Think that'll take care of things?

Sure. I think you can still go ahead and add the barbs at the same time that you add the filter and old gravel. Like I mentioned, be vigilant with your testing as it may be necessary to do water changes if you see any ammonia or nitrite. The plants from your dad's tank will help with that though, so you may not see any spikes at all. Just keep on top of things and you will be fine! Good luck!

No prob, and feel free to PM anytime, as always! I like your stock list and I think your tank will be active and peaceful. And don't forget the PICS!

severum mama said:
No prob, and feel free to PM anytime, as always! I like your stock list and I think your tank will be active and peaceful. And don't forget the PICS!

of course I'll put my Canon 30D to use!

I think the combination of black gravel and background, gray slate rock formations/caves, green plants, yellow rams, white/black cories, red barbs will look nice :)

thanks for the tip...I'll run the filter on our 29g tank for another week. Then I think i'll do the gravel trick and move the fitler to the 20g. Think that'll take care of things?

Leave it on there until you are ready to stock.Move the filter,nyloned gravel and add a few fish.
SM has nailed it,just agreeing.

This is how folks with tanks start new tanks.Its money.Been there and done that...works great.

Think it'd be okay if I moved the AC 50 and started running the water on the 20g on monday? Or should I wait on things?

And yes...i'm anxious to get this going and know I should be patient

Well, at that point it will only have been in the old tank for a week, right? I'm sure that it has a decent amount of bacteria on it now, but if you gave it another week it would be less risky. Then again, if you move some gravel over at the same time and add your barbs, it would probably be ok. That's a call you will have to make.

50% Water change yesterday( Friday April 11, 2007)

Today's tests(Saturday April 12, 2007)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
PH: 8.2
Nitrates: 10

AC 50 is still on tank, will be moved to new 20g setup with nylon full of gravel on Monday April 14, 2007.

well...this isn't the most updated look...but its neat nonetheless :)

img_804407_0_b895b39558e31a419cd9bfff61c5b36a.gif

Dude, I have no clue how you did that, but it's really cool.

Any updates on your 20?

speaking of the 20..i posted this in my 20g thread...not my 29g...oops.

Anyway, I set my Canon 30D to high multiple image drive. It can shoot 5 frames per second for 35-40 frames. This gif happens to be 41 frames. I imported each image into photoshop imageready and voila!

with regards to the 20, the ac 50 is still on the 29. i'm going to clean out the 20 tomorrow and fill with gravel/rock structures. At this point in time i'm waiting for a lfs to receive some healthy looking cherry barbs.

Ha, I can't afford Photoshop. My cam does that too, though, just didn't realize the possibilities!!!

I hear ya on the barbs, best to just wait it out for healthy stock.

Nikon Coolpix 8700, 8 MP. I'm pretty sure it does that, just never done it myself.

Back
Top Bottom