220g planted-newly rescaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! I've almost got it the way I want it... finally! Just alittle more growing!

Ahhhh, that is probably the prettiest planted tank I have seen. Awesome job!!! Do you know the name of the pink mid/ background plant off the top of your head.

Fissidens Fontanus Moss on the DW above it.

I don't think I've ever seen this moss at the LFS... Even at the specialty one when i scored the elusive downoi. Where did you get the fissidens fontanus? Is it expensive since I'm guessing it's rare?

Ahhhh, that is probably the prettiest planted tank I have seen. Awesome job!!! Do you know the name of the pink mid/ background plant off the top of your head.

Thanks! The red/pinks are as intense as usual since they are really just getting going from my last trimming. In a week or two they will have much more color. I'm still trying to work out how long it takes from when I trim them to how long it takes for new growth to start and fully color up again.

Anyway the plant midground in the back is Rotala Macrandra, which the new growth is just pinking up and will actually turn a darker pinkish red. Then to the left is Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. The new growth starts slightly turning pink after trimming then once it gets going good turns to a an actually bright almost hot pink. It is one of my favorites for intense color. There is also Rotala Wallichii to the left in front of the Macrandra that gets a nice pink to it. I had to trim it about 4 days before the pic's so you can't see it but you can in the original pic's in the beginning of the post.

I just wish I could figure out how to take pic's to show the true colors when those halides are on. The halides make the plants have a terrible glare that are in the direct light path and wash out some of the other colors that are close to the light. I tried taking pic's with just the T5HO's on but the colors don't look right that way. I don't know why I can't capture the exact colors of the plants... guess I need to take a couple photography classes!

I don't think I've ever seen this moss at the LFS... Even at the specialty one when i scored the elusive downoi. Where did you get the fissidens fontanus? Is it expensive since I'm guessing it's rare?

Here's the kicker Brian... I didn't buy it! It just showed up in my tank shortly after I planted my first plants. I am assuming a tiny bit or some spores came in with my first plant order and it took on that piece of DW. It was only a tiny original spot about the size of a quartar. It grew slow until I upped my Glut dosage and then it took off like crazy. I noticed too a small spot is started on the other big piece of DW. It's really nice because each leaf looks like a little fern frond. And I've never seen it for sale. Trust me I've looked a few times. Here's a close up pic's, not of mine of the DW, but a pic you can see how soft the leaves look... Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GkxYljJV8Uk/TuSj2uNTVVI/AAAAAAAAArA/QUYZcPOI800/s1600/Fissidens-fontanus-08.jpg

I have the same problem with my camera. The colors are just gone in the pictures. I have to lower the brightness on the camera to have any hope of reducing the glare and getting my very green HC to not look white. I have LED floodlights. They look wonderful to the eye but my camera just hates it. lol >:-{

Here's the kicker Brian... I didn't buy it! It just showed up in my tank shortly after I planted my first plants. I am assuming a tiny bit or some spores came in with my first plant order and it took on that piece of DW. It was only a tiny original spot about the size of a quartar. It grew slow until I upped my Glut dosage and then it took off like crazy. I noticed too a small spot is started on the other big piece of DW. It's really nice because each leaf looks like a little fern frond. And I've never seen it for sale. Trust me I've looked a few times. Here's a close up pic's, not of mine of the DW, but a pic you can see how soft the leaves look... Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GkxYljJV8Uk/TuSj2uNTVVI/AAAAAAAAArA/QUYZcPOI800/s1600/Fissidens-fontanus-08.jpg

Wow awesome.. Can i change my post on your profile from P. Helferi to fissidens? Haha... I have plenty of flame moss if you care to barter? ;)

Wow awesome.. Can i change my post on your profile from P. Helferi to fissidens? Haha... I have plenty of flame moss if you care to barter? ;)

You can just have some when it warms up, heck I didn't have to buy it, so pay for shipping and we'll call it even. I'd send it now but I'm afraid the cold temps (here not for you) might screw it up. I've seen alot of plants go to mush after shipping overnight in cold temps but it's your call. I have a breeder box in the 220 that I just keep putting chunks of the fissidens in as the Angelfish pull them off. I've started collecting that and the P. Helferi which I know the PH doesn't ship in cold, it does go to mush.

I have the same problem with my camera. The colors are just gone in the pictures. I have to lower the brightness on the camera to have any hope of reducing the glare and getting my very green HC to not look white. I have LED floodlights. They look wonderful to the eye but my camera just hates it. lol >:-{

I've used the camera and my daughters phone and it is getting frustrating! I see so many nice tank pic's and then mine turn out like "get out your sunglasses so the glare doesn't hurt your eyes" :banghead:

I just ordered the fissidens off of Aquabid.

Did you get the regular of the mini one? I saw some pic's of the two together but honestly don't know which one I have. It looks like the mini but when it starts growing really big areas of it that cascade over the sides of the DW the fronds/leaves get larger in size. But people keep talking that there is actually two sizes.

Okay.. You'll be getting a kind PM from me sometime in spring when temps warm up.. Haha

In terms of taking pics.. Does that camera function have a saturation setting? I find that lowering the saturation a bit in high light situations helps in reducing glare.

Okay.. You'll be getting a kind PM from me sometime in spring when temps warm up.. Haha

In terms of taking pics.. Does that camera function have a saturation setting? I find that lowering the saturation a bit in high light situations helps in reducing glare.

I'll have to get the book out and read it between now and when the tank finishes growing out. Today I did some more trimming and actually finished filling in some of the areas with the new Cabomba Furcata and the Proserpinaca palustris with the clippings. So I'm hoping in 3-5 weeks the tank has everything grown out to the right size and I can get some really good "finish" tank pic's.

Yep PM me and also you'll have to let me know if you still want the PH too.

Back
Top Bottom