23G Rimless Community Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank looks good!

I'm suspicious of the DW I picked up. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, and my LFS told me it might mold over but my inverts and otos will love it.

So conflicted... I love the size, look and detail of this piece, but I'm NOT in love with the idea of potentially moldy wood in my premiere tank :eek:
20130920_203121.jpg

That DW is fine.. it's exactly the same type as the one I'm re-using in my build. It still mold over a bit in the beginning but Otos, nerites, and shrimp will eat it. Also a little manual removal will help. If it fits in a large pot, you can boil it too.

I'm suspicious of the DW I picked up. I'm not sure what it is, exactly, and my LFS told me it might mold over but my inverts and otos will love it.

So conflicted... I love the size, look and detail of this piece, but I'm NOT in love with the idea of potentially moldy wood in my premiere tank :eek:

Lots of wood usually develops a moldy white film the first few weeks of being submerged. It goes away, though. You may want to just soak it now and get it over with...

That DW is fine.. it's exactly the same type as the one I'm re-using in my build. It still mold over a bit in the beginning but Otos, nerites, and shrimp will eat it. Also a little manual removal will help. If it fits in a large pot, you can boil it too.

Good to know... can you send over some Serengeti dung beetles to help out with mold abatement?
;P

Lots of wood usually develops a moldy white film the first few weeks of being submerged. It goes away, though. You may want to just soak it now and get it over with...

I'd like to boil it out but not sure I have a pot large enough...

Will soaking alone suffice? I tend to boil things I don't understand

I'd just soak it in a bucket. You can pour boiling water on it, if you'd like. I'm soakin me some rocks as we speak! :p

Attachments

• image-3928185887.jpg
    image-3928185887.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 51
I'd just soak it in a bucket. You can pour boiling water on it, if you'd like. I'm soakin me some rocks as we speak! :p

Good stuff there Bill, yer rockin the orange homer buckets

This piece is big... won't fit in any bucket. Thinking about soaking in the bathtub over the weekend while my daughter is w her mom and I am with my GF

I think I might want to trim it before I soak it... bandsaws and wet material don't mix well

It needs to be trimmed? I thought it looked pretty good as is. But if you do, yes, trim it before you soak it...

I want to trim the base where it was cut so that it appears "more natural" and easier to hide the cut behind some plant or rock

BTW, what has been your success with glueing moss to rock?

I want to trim the base where it was cut so that it appears "more natural" and easier to hide the cut behind some plant or rock

BTW, what has been your success with glueing moss to rock?

Gotcha... If you're lookin to cover the whole rock, use one of these... ;)

Attachments

• image-4043172290.jpg
    image-4043172290.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 58
I've had really good success glueing moss to wood and rock. I used the loctite water resistant super glue gel.

I thought you were going to use the moss blender/yogurt method to get the moss on the rocks?

I'm going to do both... but the yogurt blend was primarily for the wood, I didn't think it would "bond" to the rocks well, petrified wood ain't the most porous rock I've seen.

I've had really good success glueing moss to wood and rock. I used the loctite water resistant super glue gel.

Good to know

Do you dry the moss first? (stupid question I think)

Also, Petco is having a FREE shipping day today only, FWIW

Picked up some S. repens from a SCAPE member yesterday, 23 clippings

Here they are floating with P. stratiotes in my now defunct grow bucket
20130924_202622.jpg

HINT: the S. repens are the darker green leaves

They were submerged so I plan to transition them to emersed for my DSM, starting this weekend (hopefully)

Anyone have any advise on how to transition them best?

Last edited:
Hardscape

I played around with the wood for this tank prepping to setup this weekend.

I added a piece of manzanita that I picked up at the August SCAPE meet from CK Fish World in West Covina, CA.

Here is what I am thinking of for the wood. Please pardon the background
20130926_205619.jpg

20130926_205633.jpg

20130926_205649.jpg

I think I want to cut this end of the wood down a bit...
20130926_205724.jpg

The substrate will slope from the back, where the cut end of the wood is, to the narrow front end of the tank as it will be a 2-sided tank between 2 rooms. I might be able to pile the soil high enough against the back wall to hide most of the cut and just plant around it

Comments and feedback welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom