23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check the Mart on this site or elsewhere The Planted Tank forums for example
It's usually MUCH cheaper to buy from other hobbyists !! Try posting a WTB about Shrimp.

Fire Reds will still breed well. RCS and Fire Reds are the Guppies of the Shrimp world.
CAREFUL with CO2 around Shrimp ! Many people gave no issues with Shrimp in high tech tanks. But some report mass deaths.
So read up and don't gas your Shrimp ;)

Amanos need brackish to breed, so don't count on babies from them.

Avoid Crystals til you learn on RCS. CRS are MUCH pickier and more delicate. Once established in a very stable cycled tank they may be a future option for you.

Your tank looks great ! I'm jealous of your HC ;) I'm too lazy to do High Light.

Thanks for the advice =D

I need to check my levels first before I buy anything. Might take some water into college and ask my Biology lecturer if I can borrow their test kit for the coral tank in the labs. Saves me some money ;)

I just found a SNAIL on my HC!! I didn't hesitate to whip him out >.< Can't see any others atm.

Ok. That's good.

A water change wont do any damage. Will maybe adress the algae issue. But if it gets worse it helps to id the algae. Its sometimes an early indication of what nutrient is lacking or in excess off.

As for the pearling, my plants also have little bubbles on them after a water change. Goes away after a few hours. There are numerous reasons why that could be. Especially if you are using tap water.

But all is looking good so far. I just might get my nano going in the next few weeks. Just need to get my moss going.

Looked like the start of some hair algae on my log. So I took it out and gave it a good scrub down! Plus there were/are some small green patches on the sand. Though when I get some shrimp they should nibble it up.

NOOO!

Is this normal? I'm guessing not. The leaves seem to be melting away =(

What should I do?

Attachments

• SS101469.jpg
    SS101469.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 102
  • SS101471.jpg
    SS101471.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 90
Did you just add them? I heard that plants sometimes die off when first added to a new tank.

Yes, I was just trying to look on the bright side. Should doesn't mean it will. Hopefully it does come back!

Not to worry if it does as I will replace it with some taller background plants. Though I shall leave it a few weeks to see.

Added some fish and shrimp today.
- Otocinclus
- Amano Shrimp

Here is a video of how my aquarium is getting on =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basefrog said:
- Otocinclus
- Amano Shrimp

Tank is looking nice. :)
Make sure to keep an eye on your Otos. They are typically Wild Caught and your tank is so new there isn't any algae on the walls or wood. They need the soft green algae. If you wipe the walls leave at least the back wall alone for now. Try feeding them blanched Spinach or Romaine Lettuce or you can try Spirulina wafers.
They can be tricky to get them eating.

Same diet for your Shrimp, though the Amanos are usually very easy to feed.

As far as your Downoi, they can be tricky for some. I'm in an Aquatic Plant club. I haven't grown these as I think my tanks are too low light/ low tech.
Here are a couple of links with some possibly helpful information ;
Pogostemon helferi

Downoi: How to Grow Successfully - Aquarium Plants ( Tom Barr is a member of my club )

I love the look of the Edge tanks, but the light is NOT very good for growing plants. Some of my club members have retrofitted lights.

My advice, try a root tab, Downoi like Iron. PWCs weekly of course. Balance the needs of the plants with the fish. As an experiment, you might try moving one Downoi as close as centered under the light as you can. OR look for an easier low light plant. I'd wait and see if they recover, I don't like to give up on a plant.

The Edge will grow plants, but usually only the hardier low light plants. Perhaps look at Crypts :) they often melt at first, but they have grown well for me under LEDs as well as Compact Fluorescents (10w).

The Planted Tank forums has a whole thread on Edges it has 91 pages do far. Lots of info :)
The official EDGE thread

Also if you go to the planted tank section of AA there are many Edge owners.

I'm NOT an expert on Downoi so I'm sorry I don't have better advice for you.

I love my small low light planted tanks, so hang in there and stick with it :)

A few pics of mine are in my profile. Mine are not 'scaped.

Do you think you could grow plants on the LEDs alone?

GodFan said:
Do you think you could grow plants on the LEDs alone?

I can and do. If you check my profile pics you'll see my 10g with LEDs. I have an Archaea LED fixture. That is the only light on that tank. Mostly Crypts, but the Edge light is a lot smaller I think ? My corners are low PAR but still growing plants.

You just have to pick the right plants.

Basefrog said:
- Otocinclus
- Amano Shrimp

Love the video man! Haha the camra isnt rubbish, dont worry :) haha the tank looks great!

Lol!! This video killed me!
"oh no all the CO2 will be lost over the edge" lol!

GREAT looking tank. I really like the clean look, and the baby tears

I can and do. If you check my profile pics you'll see my 10g with LEDs. I have an Archaea LED fixture. That is the only light on that tank. Mostly Crypts, but the Edge light is a lot smaller I think ? My corners are low PAR but still growing plants.

You just have to pick the right plants.
Sweet. I am trying to DIY some LEDs and I was trying to pick good ones. I actually found them on one of your links. They are from LEDWholsalers and are between 5500 and 6500K.

Back
Top Bottom