23L Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looking awesome mate. keen to see some updates when you get to it! i'm new to planted aquariums and i'm loving it. this inspires me to do more! :)

I feel honored to have inspired others =D

Just a little update: I think that all the leaves on the plants that were melting away have now gone. All that is left are new shoots. This is great because at one time i thought some of my plants were going to die. But they are all doing great!

Baby dwarf tears - Growing slowly but surly.
Downoi - Growing the fastest of them all. Really is filling in the back corner nicely!
Dwarf hairgrass - Sending out lots of runners! I've even had to cut some off to stop it going where I didn't want it >.<

Tempted to add some larger leafed plants with darker greens and some moss. But i'm not sure what and where to put it.

^^^ Any help would be nice.

Will be adding a video/pictures on Tuesday when my RCS arrive =D

Very nice. You have wood in the tank right? Tie moss and anubias to it!

Tank sounds great so far=)

You have wood in the tank right? Tie moss and anubias to it!

See i was thinking of doing that, but I like the idea of having the wood as a center piece =/ Plus the only moss available to me (not from the internet) is Java. And I really can't be doing with trimming it back all the time.

Basefrog said:
See i was thinking of doing that, but I like the idea of having the wood as a center piece =/ Plus the only moss available to me (not from the internet) is Java. And I really can't be doing with trimming it back all the time.

IME, java moss is a pretty slow grower! Lol love the tank and the thread! Will be following along for sure!:D

Hmm.. Fair enough =) Though i was looking into getting Flame moss.. Though everywhere I look for it it is really expencive =(

Wow! Not to much moss then? ;) Where abouts did you get it all from?
My LFS only sell Java Moss.. Tempted to go and get some tomorrow but I feel it will over grow my small 6g tank.. What do you think?

Basefrog said:
Wow! Not to much moss then? ;) Where abouts did you get it all from?
My LFS only sell Java Moss.. Tempted to go and get some tomorrow but I feel it will over grow my small 6g tank.. What do you think?

Some I bought on The Planted Tank from other hobbyists

I belong to a Club. Most was free from other members :)

Just cut off extra Java Moss and sell it or give it away.

Ok so I am not too happy at all right now! The shrimps have not arrived. They were due at 1pm. It is now 7:33pm! They are probs stuck in some cold warehouse somewhere which can't be good.

On a plus side I went to my LFS and asked about some Moss. They didn't really sell any. Only Java Moss and a Cript on a log deal. Though I managed to sweet talk the guy who took a handful off a log and gave it to me free of charge =D I put £1 in a donation tub on the counter.

So right now i'm trying to thing where to put it =)

w00p w00p! Guess what came today? You got it, my Red Cherry Shrimp! =D

They have been in now for about 9 hours ish and are doing great. Already seen an exoskeleton from one of them. Plus I have also seen one with a yellow/green saddle. So that means hopefully in the next month or so I should be seeing some of my very own bred RCS babies! Can't wait!

Here are some pictures below:

Attachments

• SS101530.jpg
    SS101530.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 76
  • SS101535.jpg
    SS101535.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 70
Right so I have a worm problem of Planaira. Which isn't the worst but neverless it's anouying seeing them all over my glass! Plus I have also read some cases that they have killed shrimp. Since my tank is primaraly a shrimp tank I went out and bought some dog dewormer (Fenbendazole). This has been recomended to me to solve the problem.

If anyone has any advice as to what dosage I should use for my 6g tank, that would help? =)

I have previously reduced feeding and done daily/ever other day PWC however this has not culled the population.

Eek! The RCS are shedding left right and center >.< I suppose this is healthy because they are growing, but cleaning out all the shells is EFFORT! Haha!

Basefrog said:
Eek! The RCS are shedding left right and center >.< I suppose this is healthy because they are growing, but cleaning out all the shells is EFFORT! Haha!

Your not supposed to take out the shell, the shrimp will eat it to regain some of the calcium they lost when they molted. But it is a good sign!! Congrats! Hopefully you get shrimplets soon!!:)

Yep, mine have been shedding left and right. Austin is right, if you just leave them in there the shrimp will take care of them. Glad to see everything is going well.

Hey Basefrog, how long does your DIY CO2 system produce for until you need open the bottle? Also, when you "recharge" the CO2 system, do you add more yeast, or sugar, or...? I'm debating whether or not to go with a basic CO2 system so I can get better plants. Also, you're using Flourish, right? Is there an all in one bottle or did you buy each nutrient separately?

Thanks!

Hey Joey, thanks for your questions.

Mine has lasted nearly 2 months though is due for a change. When I 'recharge' the system I will be changing the whole lot. So new sugar, new yeast and new water.
Yes I am using Seachem Flourish. That is the all in one fert. You don't need to buy any separate bottles so it's all good.

I am actually planning on making a few videos atm. One on my DIY CO2 system and another on my LED lights.

Back
Top Bottom