24x24x12 shallow reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I made huge progress today. I got my live rock 15lbs live and 15lbs dry 40lbs of sand salts kimmer and everything to hook up my sump i am now up running and cycling im exhausted i should have taken pics but forgot i will post some in the morning

Here are the pics i promised my water is still pretty cloudy not as bad as last night the coral life super skimmer 65 is strating to produce foam i know i was told it wasnt a

ForumRunner_20121013_105608.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_105643.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_105739.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_105856.jpg

good skimmer but my lfs guy showed me it running on several of his tanks pulling out thick skimate he sold me a used one for 50 bucks so if it doesnt work out no big loss also im going to have to find a soloution for a larger sump my 10g is very cramped but im limited to the floor space on the stand

nah the 20 long wont fit i had a 20t but it wouldn't fit either. I figure my best bet is to hit up wal mart or something and try to find an odd shaped container I also thought about drilling and plumbing to 10g side by side and putting my return pump or skimmer and a refugium in it not sure yet everything is still up in the air so im open to any an all opinions

What do you guys think about this sump design will it work? side by side 10g tanks

zkl8wi.jpg

defiantly going to have to figure out something else to use as a sump i simulated a power outage this morning and it overflowed so i dropped the levels down to just enough for my pumps to run and tried it again after 5 mins it started to slowly overflow so i turned everything back on let it return to normal then pulled the plug again and immediately pulled my return line out of the water to make sure it was siphoning and it done the same thing so looks like a trip to walmart is in line for this after noon

Sorry about your sump troubles. Personally, I would spread the rock out a little, not have 1 tall pile of it. Still make caves and crevices, but spread out a little bit. But that's all up to what you like. Hope you get the sump situated!

Ive been looking into some kind of timer/power strip for the last week or so..Corallife makes one and there are a few other companies that make a similar one..But from the research i have done the consensus seems to be they are all junk and dont waste your money on them.. I have read tons of reviews on them also that says the same thing.. Everyone seems to just use those big old walmart/home depot timers for like 7-10 dollars..

Im just going to get a reefkeeper lite system which has power strips that you can program to take care of lights/heaters or whatever u want to control, but its expensive

ReefKeeper Lite Plus - Digital Aquatics - Bulk Reef Supply

Good luck

Yeah i got the coral life one and tried it out i dont really like it i mean it would be good if you had 4 things that all needed to turn off and on at the same time. I looked at the reef keeper setup its really nice but looks super complicated and also expensive. so i guess i will be using walmart egg timers

I got some new additions to my tank last night I got 2 clown one orange and white and one black and white also a purple octopus frog spawn coral and a pink and white coco worm also picked up some area 51 phytoplankton and some Larry's reef frenzy food put here are some pics

ForumRunner_20121027_121130.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121150.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121210.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121150.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121235.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121235.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121308.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121308.jpg

ForumRunner_20121027_121343.jpg

Looks great! The clowns are cute! And like the frogspawn, think that'll be my next coral. Great choice of livestock!!

Thanks I think I'm going to get a mandarin and a few more corals around Thanksgiving. I eventually want a clam and a few electric flame scallops too

Thanks I think I'm going to get a mandarin and a few more corals around Thanksgiving. I eventually want a clam and a few electric flame scallops too

Mandarin's are difficult they very rarely will accept frozen or flake food.

greaver83 said:
Yuh my lfs has tank bred green mandarins they will eat about anything u feed them

That's the only way to do it, I got a pair of mandarins & they eat pellet food, frozen brine & mysis & whatever else I offer them.

Where did you get the area 51 phytoplankton and some Larry's reef frenzy food? Nice tank btw. You don't have problems w/ the feather duster? Is your tank too new for the flame scallop and clam?

Where did you get the area 51 phytoplankton and some Larry's reef frenzy food? Nice tank btw. You don't have problems w/ the feather duster? Is your tank too new for the flame scallop and clam?

Im lucky that the area 51 phyto and larrys reef frenzy are both made local for me im in high point nc and also i have the best LFS ive ever seen in Triad Reef Critters Dexter the owner runs it out of his basement and is super smart and seems he is truly in it for the enjoyment of the hobby and not to push products and make money. as for the maturity of my tank it probably is a little too new for the scallops and the clam i plan on waiting a few months for those

Back
Top Bottom