27 gallon hex tank setup :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am just so indecisive, I would get whichever is closer because I would want them both anyways! Lol. Really though, good point krap. It is like you appreciate it more since you had to work for it. But then again, setting up the tank and everything is working just as much! I really want cardinals and white clouds now

readings this morning:

ammonia 0!
nitrite 0!
nitrate 40!

weeeeeee! :mrgreen: time for fish!!!!! what should i get first?? tetras or cories!?!?!? i might put the ember tetras that the LFS ordered me in the 20 gal since cardinals are down to 9 and i feel like the tank needs a little more life. so besides panda cories i have no clue how we will stock this tank!! do you think adding cories first would be ok???

Panda cories are generally wild caught I think, which is why they normally have such a high casualty rate. It's hard to say what order without knowing what the rest of your stock is, so it's hard to say. I would normally try to add the most sensitive fish last.

I generally add my bottom feeders last. I think it gives the tank time to establish itself and gives them something to munch on. A newly set up tank won't have all the goodies laying around for the cories to explore and find. Just IMO.

I generally add my bottom feeders last. I think it gives the tank time to establish itself and gives them something to munch on. A newly set up tank won't have all the goodies laying around for the cories to explore and find. Just IMO.

I agree, and just wanted to add that in my experience, panda cories are very poor shippers. If you are ordering them through your LFS, see if they will hold them for you for at least a few days after they come in. IME this is when most of the casualties are going to take place. ;)

I saw the pandas at my lfs today. The three that were left (I don't know how many were sold, but they started at 9) looked pretty strong, but I'd like to think some were bought rather than having a 66% mortality...

I'm just basing my comments off of working at a friend's LFS for a couple years. The mortality rates I saw of panda cories (even from different suppliers) has made me really hesitant to even order them in here.

HN1 even had problems ordering pandas from Liveaquaria. He ordered 6 and only 2 survived. :(

I think dwarf cories are even worse... That's why I'm hesitant to buy them.. anywhere..

soooo...... we got a fish today!!! went to the LFS in our town and found some really gorgeous dwarf gouramis. there was one in particular that seemed to have a really fun personality. when the manager went in to get him and stuck the net in and everything, he was super curious and stayed at the top to see what was going on. the rest pretty much hung out by the bottom. anyway, we really liked him so we bought him! they said they had had him for about a week. btw he is a flame dwarf gourami, he's got a white head which fades into yellow to bright orange over the rest of him. after we acclimated him, we had a little accident..... since our nets don't fit into the bag, we dump the bag into a little bucket to scoop the fish from there...well....when dumping the bag all the water came out, the fish stayed in the bag, so when trying to get it out of the bag, he fell on the floor 8-O :eek: so i immediately scooped him into my hand and placed him in the tank. he sat with his tail resting on the substrate for a few, then started moving around. we let him explore for a bit, then fed him a few flakes. he got all excited and ate up the flakes, going all the way to the surface for some. i hope everything is fine, he seems to be happy. i guess we'll see, pictures to come in a little bit!! :D

oh and the store was having a sale, 20% off any fish that is red, white, or blue, so the manager gave us the discount, even though he is orange :D i think he was impressed with how much i knew, and the fact i had an already cycled tank. all thanks to AA!! :mrgreen:

so here are the pics :D Picasa Web Albums - Rachel - 27 gallon hex... ... enjoy! :mrgreen:

GRRRRR this is not working. just click the link!!
tArnO1gStO3XldRsdRO1ww

tArnO1gStO3XldRsdRO1ww

Back
Top Bottom