27 gallon hex tank setup :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey i never actually knew the difference b/w schooling and shoaling. just looked it up.

Quote:
Shoaling is perhaps the most fascinating social behaviour possessed by fish, although most attention has been focused on the most spectacular aspect of shoaling: schooling. A School of fish often seems to have a mind of its own, moving in co-ordinated fashion through complicated manoeuvres with the members precisely spaced within it. A shoal is any group of fishes that remains together for social reasons, whereas a school is a polarised, synchronised shoal (Pitcher and Parish 1993)
Is it a School, or Shoal, of fish? [Archive] - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums

interesting, thanks for pointing that out, Crepe.

this is my post from this http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/will-these-fish-get-along-together-130315-6.html thread

so the tank has been successfully dosed up to about 3ppm. I'm crossing my fingers now for a quick and smooth cycle

i did have a nitrate reading. apparently i failed to mention this beforehand, but it was actually like 160ppm. i actually just mentioned this in chat, and Petty Officer Salamander suggested that this was the reason for the cycle stall. he suggested i do a water change then dose back up to 4ppm. i immediately did a ~75% water change to take that way down. i have not tested or added ammonia yet, debating whether i want to dose it up that high or not. i don't want to add a HUGE amount of fish to start with, either 5-6 panda cories or 10 tetras (not sure what kind yet, it looks like the LFS will be ordering ember tetras for us, so probably those)

:) 3ppm where it sits now should do you just fine. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any other questions/issues.

I still think it would have worked just fine to let it sit and cycle through, though POS has also given you good advice. Different strokes... :p

I'm following... keep us posted!

tested the tank this morning.

ammonia -- 2ppm :D
nitrite -- 1ppm (weeeee!)
nitrate -- between 20 and 40ppm

feeling very optimistic!! thanks severum mama and POS for all the adivce and guidance. <3 you guys!!!!!! :D

Lol, when I see POS, Petty officer Salamander isn't the first thing that comes to mind :p

readings today:

ammonia -- 0ppm! :D
nitrite -- .5ppm !!
nitrate -- about 40 ppm

looking good! now we gotta figure out how we're stocking it and what to add first! just can't seem to come to an agreement right now

possible stock choices:

img_1135083_0_26cb94f0663a8bab18bf5f602354d599.png

I really think this combination would be beautiful! Really would have some excellent colors going on there. Only thing is it would be better with a ram or apistogramma possibly, but I still like honey gouramis too. If it was me I would keep the rest and be torn between the gourami or a ram/apisto.

well i was thinking honey gouramis as opposed to apistos because first, i really like the color of the honeys, second, they are easier to find, and third, this combination would be like primary colors, yellow honeys, blue and red tetras. i thought that would look very cool.

Either way, it is going to look awesome :) I am a fan of cichlids more than most gouramis so that is probably why I would be between them! Can't wait to see :)

Personally, I've found it is much more rewarding when you look for something and eventually find it rather than getting it "just because" and settling. In alot of situations, it's one of those things where you regret not getting the "other one" and end up buying it anyways. I guess this isn't specifically for fish, but it is what made me go from neons to cardinals (even though cardinals are 2x more expensive here)

Back
Top Bottom