29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested pH and nitrogens.

The good news:
· Ammonia is below .25ppm
· Nitrites are on the chart
· Nitrites and nitrates are different in the two different tanks

The bad news:
· Ammonia and nitrites are still not zero
· Nitrates are 40 in the 29 gallon tank
· Tap water is still testing .25ppm ammonia
· Another baby snail died

The nerites are at the water line, and the harlequins have lost some color. The male guppies are being pretty aggressive. Everyone is still eating well, and the guppy fry are growing quickly, so things aren't terrible. It does seem like they are starting to get stressed.

I have more plants coming. The plant loss was slow but steady, I suspect due to a lack of light. The 29 gallon went from being heavily planted to having a couple plants. The 10 gallon still has its plants, which is probably why the nitrates are lower.

Before we got the python, I used an 18 cup pür pitcher that I filled with a 1 quart pitcher. Almost every time, I kept the filter in, so any chloramines were removed there. However, our tap didn't test positive for ammonia then.

So water changes would take hours, but I knew nothing nasty was getting in. I also didn't have to worry about temperature matching because the water added so slowly the heaters could keep up with it without any trouble!

5 gallon buckets are not an option. I am capable of lifting, but I have a severe tremor to the degree I can't even carry cups of liquid in my left hand. My right hand is slightly better, but I am 100% confident water would get all over the place.

In short, BB are catching up. However, water changes would add toxins that are arguably worse than what's already in the water- unless I do the ultra slow motion change.

What do you recommend?

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see if they zero out if a water changes causes them to show again?
With 'only' 2ppm I would double or triple dose prime today and then test again tomorrow.

They sell in-line filters for people filling their RV water tanks that are advertised as removing all kinds of things (here's an example: TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter - Camco 40043 - Water Filtration - Camping World). The Python uses standard hose fittings (I think. Right?), so you might be able to use one of those when you're filling the tank - still filter the water, but without the slow manual process.

Yes, the python uses standard hose fittings. That filter definitely looks worthwhile.

I moved the trapdoor snails to the 29 gallon because they were showing signs of shell erosion. Now I have just the blue rams in the 10 gallon. Is there any cleanup crew critter that will work with rams in a 10 gallon?

I posted a separate thread about the cleanup crew question as well as one about our new fry.

Maybe Harlequin rasbora fry? Maybe?
1482380772932.jpg

They are practically microscopic. Seriously I've been feeding the guppy fry cyclops, and they are probably too big for these guys.

Unlike our previous guppy fry, they are not bellies with eyeballs. These guys are all tail. Unlike previous guppy fry, they do not hang out in plants or at the surface. They prefer the sand and edges.

You can also see a baby rabbit snail in this picture.

Some of the new plants came today- some pancuraji and buce. They are great. I'm letting them adjust to the water before attaching them to anything.

Edit: even the week-old guppy fry are trying to eat these new fry. That's how small they are.

Last edited:
The prime will not effect the cycling..It only converts and does not remove..That is why if the filter is not in force then you need to dose every other day as the nutrients will return since the filter still could not handle them.

I'm impressed. I've never had egg-layers spawn that I know of.

My platys, on the other hand, are little sex machines. :eek:
They might be guppies. They don't look like previous guppy fry at this house, but.... I mean, I don't have a ton of experience.
The prime will not effect the cycling..It only converts and does not remove..That is why if the filter is not in force then you need to dose every other day as the nutrients will return since the filter still could not handle them.
I want to get this cycle done. I'm so over it.

I isolated three of the micro fry. In a day or two I'll know for sure what they are.

Fast Sparkles laid more eggs. @CoralBandit, should I sneak them away? Where would I put them?

Water change tomorrow. I'm nervous about that, but those nitrates have got to go.

I would leave the eggs to see if they are fertile. Then if you want we can work on hatching next time if the eggs are viable...
It is a process to raise the GBR...They stay separated and small till around 2 months.
Then they start to look like little gbr shaped things!

Water change complete. I'll test nitrogens in a couple of hours.

The filters on the 29 gallon were outright *caked* with that brown slime. I had been out if excel for a few days. Could that have contributed? Flow is much improved now!

The rams haven't eaten (or moved) their eggs yet.

My new buce is melting, which makes me very sad. I need to figure that out.

1482689527818.jpg
1482689560448.jpg

Glaze fire done!

The buce is from @JungleFowl. It pretty much all melted, but I'm optimistic about its regrowth.

We also have several more fry. At a dollar each store credit, I'll be rolling in it.

Last edited:
Looking good! Did you have to do anything special for these going into the aquarium? Dumb question but can you just use normal glaze, etc?

Back
Top Bottom