29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Toolman.

20170512_102744.jpg
Cause or effect?

Copper isn't zero. Why the [redacted] isn't copper zero? Our source water doesn't have copper. I removed the coral skeletons. The root tabs have .05% copper, but I bury them deep and haven't added any in several weeks.

Maxime isn't dead, but she smells like it. She also kind of vomited a ramshorn.

My heart is breaking. What is happening?

Is so frustrating when you can't isolate a problem. Sorry for your losses. I want to let you know that I had problems with my MS when there were too many RH. The young would get up under the shell. I have no idea if they hurt them but I personally wouldn't want something nibbling on my tender underparts.

To get the young RH out I usually bait the tank and remove it with the snails. I used a pill box to keep the bigger snails out. And a rock on top to keep it down. IMG_9286.jpg

Thanks, Toolman.

View attachment 299154
Cause or effect?

Copper isn't zero. Why the [redacted] isn't copper zero? Our source water doesn't have copper. I removed the coral skeletons. The root tabs have .05% copper, but I bury them deep and haven't added any in several weeks.

Maxime isn't dead, but she smells like it. She also kind of vomited a ramshorn.

My heart is breaking. What is happening?

Doesn't thrive have copper in it? Has lots of boron too by the looks of things.

Doesn't thrive have copper in it? Has lots of boron too by the looks of things.
.009%
Is boron bad for snails?

Is so frustrating when you can't isolate a problem. Sorry for your losses. I want to let you know that I had problems with my MS when there were too many RH. The young would get up under the shell. I have no idea if they hurt them but I personally wouldn't want something nibbling on my tender underparts.

To get the young RH out I usually bait the tank and remove it with the snails. I used a pill box to keep the bigger snails out. And a rock on top to keep it down. View attachment 299155

I have been wondering about the ramshorns being on the mystery snails. I just threw out my old pill sorter. I'll have to make a trap.

I am happy with the ramshorns in the Spec. I don't want them in this tank.

I found on the FDA list that Boron is used in ceramics, glazes, glass and a whole bunch of other stuff. It's also used to kill land snails. Are you using a new clay or glaze? it might also be a Boron + something that could be causing a chemical reaction I'm trying to help Just a thought.

Last edited:
20170512_135156.jpg
I went to take these ladies outside to be ant food, and they had all pulled back into their shells. So maybe they're still alive? At least one of them smells like burning rubber. I can't tell which. Maybe it's leftover from Frank?

There are a couple of tiny ramshorns in their bowl, so I have some spinach to draw them out. I put some spinach and zucchini into my DIY bubble counter (spice jar with two holes in the lid) and sunk it to catch some of the ramshorns.

@Sharmon, boric acid is supposed to not be toxic to aquatic creatures. Supposed to.

I actually don't have any glazed decor in this tank. The clay itself is a white stoneware. The place I got it from doesn't list the actual recipe, but generally white stoneware is pretty basic-- EPK, ball clay, silica, feldspar, and sometimes mullite.

The more I think about toxicity, though, the more I doubt it. Going by relative mass, the ramshorns should be far more affected. Instead, I've got an outright snailplosion going on.

I'm hating them right now.

I'm considering two options:
1. Fast the tank.
I want to feed the other snails, and the ramshorns are faster. I can't feed less, because my on-purpose snails would be the ones to lose out. Also, the ramshorns eat the algae off the plants. I don't have much, but it's not like I can just make that vanish.
2. An assassin.
I could do it temporarily, remove my remaining rabbits and Vanilla, who is huge anyway. If I get one small one, the ramshorns might be enough, right?

Maxime is alive. She's going for the spinach. She's not happy, though. There are definitely ramshorns in their shells.

Would the Ramshorns attack the on purpose snails just to eat? I know nothing about snails. How do you get the Ramshorn out of Maxime and the others?

I waged war on the RH about a year and a half ago. I was feeding the MS to breed and the RH took over. I had hundreds in the substrate. I tore the whole tank down, changed the substrate, scrutinized the plants and set traps for 2 months, with a predawn inspection too before I got them under control.

And I still watch them like a hawk.

I always suspected the RH were nibbling on the MS but not really able to prove it.

I got two assassins. I've moved the rabbits to the isolation box for now. I found a handful of empty baby rabbit shells. This is killing me.
Would the Ramshorns attack the on purpose snails just to eat? I know nothing about snails. How do you get the Ramshorn out of Maxime and the others?
I suspect that the snails were stressed out from copper or amorous advances from a baseball-sized male and then the ramshorns took the opportunity for a high protein meal.

I was hoping that the spinach would draw some out.

I waged war on the RH about a year and a half ago. I was feeding the MS to breed and the RH took over. I had hundreds in the substrate. I tore the whole tank down, changed the substrate, scrutinized the plants and set traps for 2 months, with a predawn inspection too before I got them under control.

And I still watch them like a hawk.

I always suspected the RH were nibbling on the MS but not really able to prove it.

The number of ramshorns inside the mystery snails' shells tells me that whatever they're doing isn't good for the snails I actually care about.

The fish nerd place has pink and blue rabbits. I might replace some of the FIVE recently deceased critters with them.

The fish nerd place owner says I can bring the assassins back once they've done their duty.

20170513_021009.jpg
(Happy tears)

Apparently those ramshorns in their shells were *extremely* irritating. This morning I thought these snails were dead.

I did lose two, and seeing them suffer has made me unhappy with the ramshorns.

The assassins are being very effective, and the kuhlis are following them around stealing the snail meat.

Been following along and never knew that RH could be some troublesome. Then again I don't have MS. I bought some red RH a couple years back and they have been competing with the MTS for resources. I don't feed my snails; they get whatever grows on algae mountain and whatever the fish don't eat (which is little to none).

I find that the RH out compete MTS and Pond snails. I had my Biube set up with nothing but these 3 types of snails since November. When I cleaned it in April there are way fewer MTS and Ponds but tons of RH.

Back
Top Bottom