29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just cut a fish out of a piece of decor.

20170503_115132-01.jpeg
20170503_115227-01.jpeg

We have (had) a little bridge with holes in it. She had gotten herself partway through but couldn't go any further. Of course she we pulling, because fish don't swim backwards.

I used my Dremel to score the bridge so that I could break it and free her. I was very careful to not touch her at all with the tool.

She's in the Spec now, because that's easy to change water on. I drained it and used the water from her tank just because the ramshorns can handle a shift better than a kuhli.

I'm sure she's stressed. She's got some skin damage. I have no idea how deep her injuries go.

Poor fishy.

Sorry to hear that, I'm not very good with meds, but here for moral support.

Thank you.

Elsa the guppy is doing better. I can just imagine her seeing me cutting the ceramic bridge and deciding to shape up.

Swami the kuhli is still alive. At this point I consider that a success. She's a tough cookie.

I *hate* the quarantine tank. I told the topple popple she needs to be there for ten days, and she asked what happens if she's not better in ten days.

Friendly Giraffe the snail has moved of her own volition, which I'm excited about. That's a low bar, huh?

Today was a long day.

So, destroyer of fish here.

Elsa is skinny and yellow fry are hanging out in the forest and corners. Problem solved.

Swami is still alive. I'm amazed at that.

Looking at the tank this morning, I saw a tail sticking out of the filter inlet. Once again, I had taken part of the mesh screen off. I expected to remove a dead body. Nope. Friendy Friend flopped into the cup I had put the tube in. She still has both eyes and all of her fins. I haven't been able to get a good look at her mouth. So now she's in quarantine as well. Dropping fry.

She's a big guppy-- probably the size of my thumb.

No more getting stuck in things, fish!

All quarantined critters are still alive! I'm very, very happy about that. They've been through some serious trauma.

We added Cuprisorb yesterday. If there are no heavy metals, it's not hurting anything. If it is, then it will help. I'm curious to see how quickly it turns blue.

It really is a matter of brass fixtures. The CO2 regulator is brass, and the quick release for the Python is brass. It did make a big difference when I went back to Prime from Safe. We'll see.

Great news. I have been finding shrimp bodies in my nursery. I don't know if it is the Khuli's or if it is the aftermath of the meds to kill the planaria. I haven't actually seen a Khuli even look at them.

For clarification, by casualties I believe this is referring to fish.
I would think the kuhlis would be eating the shrimp rather than just killing them. I've treated for planaria (with fenben) in a tank full of shrimp and snails with no deaths (only for the worms).

But it hurt the Khuli!

Ya know about the shrimp and meds and Khuli's. I will see a deceased Shrimp and then poof it disappears. I haven't seen the Khuli's go after them yet but who know what happens in the darkness....

The copper test was negative, but the Cuprisorb is changing colors and the inactive snails are acting more like themselves.

Keep up the good work, chemical filtration!

Oh my goodness

I walked by the tanks and noticed that the quarantine filter had stopped. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Took it apart. Took it apart some more-- then it started back up.

I noticed little backbones with eyeballs floating and thought, "they didn't get mysis shrimp today," before realizing they were dead fry! Probably a dozen!

So the survivors are all now in the Spec, and the quarantine got a huge water change.

The other fish still seem okay, so hopefully the ammonia hadn't built up too much. Ugh. Really upsetting.

20170507_184520_HDR.jpg
Draw me like one of your French girls

20170507_184310.jpg
QT got a new heater so that the fry can have heat in the Spec.

I have some carbon filtering the methylene blue so that I can give them some bio media.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom