29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And this is why i have 2 tanks and you are a breeder. Will switch plants around tomorrow night or Wednesday when I am off school.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looking at the tank roght now. 95% of the neons are out of hiding but still in the bottom 4 inches by the star repens. They are joined by 1-4 black skirt tetras, they are moving around. The rest of the black skirts are on the back wall in the anacharis.

This is with the white light on.

Edit: 25 minutes after watching TV by the tank and a handful of the neons are venturing the top of the wisteria. They where also moving to the top of the crypts, not the tallest leaf but the other tall ones. Fish and women...I will never will fully understand.

*Disclaimer* I mean no offense to anyone

I didn't start out this way. ;) There's been a lot of years in learning what I know. To some, I've been told I was a fish in a former life and THIS is why I understand them so well. Me, I just am thankful I had a mentor who taught me so much about fish keeping and breeding which led me to a 40+ year career in the pet/fish business so I got to practice a lot and learn what I didn't know yet. Glad to be able to share the knowledge. (y)
As for understanding women...... I would also do better if they were fish. :D lol No offense to you ladies. ;) (y)

Even though the neons where combing out more I'm still going to change around the plants after school. Hopefully it will coax the black skirts out of hiding too. I am trying to remember if the black skirts lost their color when I switched to the black background or added the new light.

I always keep some floating plants in my tanks. It offers security for my shyer fish. Due to water movement from my filter my floating plants typically are only taking up about half the tank. Except for duckweed, and that I just have to pull out weekly.
Frogbit is my fav

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423596763.405991.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I tried duckweed for a little bit, but because of how my filter output points towards the front glass it just got pushed under and hung up in my plants. I would need something that has enough surface area to not get pushed under.
Right now the wistera top I am going to replant is floating nicely. Not being pushed under at all, might just stick with wisteria as my floater now.

I tried duckweed for a little bit, but because of how my filter output points towards the front glass it just got pushed under and hung up in my plants. I would need something that has enough surface area to not get pushed under.
Right now the wistera top I am going to replant is floating nicely. Not being pushed under at all, might just stick with wisteria as my floater now.

I have water lettuce. Less likely to get pushed under the surface.

Will have to turn my skimmer off if i try floaters again.

Will look into water lettuce too. Thanks fresh!

Will have to turn my skimmer off if i try floaters again.

Will look into water lettuce too. Thanks fresh!

Let me know. I just filled a ziplock sandwich bag full of it and brought it to the LFS. They have me a 20% off livestock coupon.
These are frogbit size so there should not be any problems with the skimmer.

Ok, read they can get to a foot long.

Will definitely keep the water lettuce in mind when the weather lifts.

I am going to call the lfs and see if they have/can order some things for me--5×Pangio Kuhlii and some moneywort(i think...i sometimes call it pennywort. They both deal with $$ in my defense! Lol) I know they get their orders in on Tuesdays. Hopefully 6 days notice will be enough for them to get the plants and fish in next Tuesday. Happens to be my last day off school :)
Yea its moneywort.

Life has been busy this week. Haven't had time to work on the tank but before maintenance tomorrow i will move the sword and plant more wisteria.

Monday I might take a drive to the lfs to see if they have moneywort and if they can order the kuhlies for me :D

Life has been busy this week. Haven't had time to work on the tank but before maintenance tomorrow i will move the sword and plant more wisteria.

Monday I might take a drive to the lfs to see if they have moneywort and if they can order the kuhlies for me :D

Make sure we get before and after shots! Also, loving how it looks thus far and can't wait to see it with the new additions!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Before shots might be difficult. Planning on doing this during lights out to reduce fish stress. I might flip them on for a few seconds for a picture though.

Came downstairs earlier and found my light on! Stupid analog timer wasn't working. Replaced it and now things seem to be nice.

Removed the amazon sword and planted the wisteria. Also moved some java fern to infront of the anacharis on the side.

Pictures will come later. The lights are off now.

I'm interested in how your wisteria are doing! I have tied some "floating" to a tower in my tank. I heard it will grow sideways. We shall see. Total experiment. Might fail. lol!

I'm interested in how your wisteria are doing! I have tied some "floating" to a tower in my tank. I heard it will grow sideways. We shall see. Total experiment. Might fail. lol!

The reason it grows sideways I think is that it is trying to reach the light. If grown upright it grows straight up, but if taken from upright to sideways it will grow sidewayss.

The timer is one I got from my mom's Christmas timers. She has had them for probably close to 20 years so it probably just got old.

I have 4 analogs on the shelf, want them haha?? They keep aweful time, worst is when you kill.power for wc's they stop ticking, i have all.woods brand digital with 18 on/off settings and battery backup, they do need occasional tweaking if you're a control freak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't kill the power for wc's, just unplug the filter and leave the other stuff on. A digital timer might be the next piece of equipment I invest in.

Going to drive down to lfs tomorrow to see if they have kuhlies and moneywort. I would call, but I want to make sure they know which fish and plant I am talking about.

Lights are on, but the water is srill cloudy. Will either post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom