29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got mine from Brookster so he might know more on this. When mine get about 9-10" I hack them down to 2-4" and replant them. I have some luck with the bottoms; sometimes the resprout growth, sometimes they become algae magnets.
At least with these you can "adjust" the height. Cannot really do that with crypts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is true with the height adjustment. Do you have root tabs under them of just water column ferts?

Brookster please help! I am sorry I made fun of your snail army!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is true with the height adjustment. Do you have root tabs under them of just water column ferts?

Brookster please help! I am sorry I made fun of your snail army!

I might have something under them. It has been a while since I added and and not quite sure where I put them.
Perhaps you will be growing a "snail" army as well one day. :)

If I add root tabs I don't think it would hurt them, no matter where I place them. They will be around the wisteria, but midground or background would be the difference.
My snail army is the 10 gallon, and it is a snail army. I throw alot of the pond snail I find into it, now it is overrun.

The ludwigia is in the lfs fish bag floating in my tank. When I get more information on their height I will plant them

I was wishing I had a third tank while I was at the lfs too...they had some adorable GBRs and another type of ram that was almost all yellow.

After more searching online it appears the plant finder website has the height wrong. The other sites I have found have the height of 20-50cm. Should have done more research inti this plant before buying, really wanted the red midground separating green :(

*thinking out loud* the reason I want the ludwigia in the midground is I feel that part of the tank is rather open, and the ludwigia might coax the neons up higher. I also think that the wisteria and lemon bacopa will fill in the back nicely. Plus the lud. in back would be directly behind the red crypts. Although the more that I look at it a red plant in back would separate the similarly colored wisteria and bacopa. *done thinking out loud*

Any suggestions for a red midground plant I could use to separate the star repens and wisteria?

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I did end up having to order the kuhli loaches, and they should be here by the weekend :D

I havnt added anything under them since I got them. I treat them the same as their greedy, nutrient sponging, fast growing predecessor.. they just need good light and water hahah

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand the red behind red thing. I would have a problem with that (actually I did and moved things around).
Behind the star repens you could try Alternanthera reineckii or Blyxa though the AR might be light greedy. Even though the Blyxa is green, it might offer a nice contrast because of the leaf shape.

I was thinking about trying the AR. Would regular AR or AR mini be easier? Thanks for the input brooks!

I was thinking about trying the AR. Would regular AR or AR mini be easier? Thanks for the input brooks!

All forms of ar have been the most challenging plants in my tank. ( ar, mini, variagated, ocipus..) they are so prone to bba ime.. by all means though.. try away;)

All forms of ar have been the most challenging plants in my tank. ( ar, mini, variagated, ocipus..) they are so prone to bba ime.. by all means though.. try away;)

+1. If you try one, I would go with regular AR. I started it from the TopFin gel pack.

Trying to get me to have a snail army of my own lol. Appreciate your input brookster.

+1. If you try one, I would go with regular AR. I started it from the TopFin gel pack.

Will try the AR gel pack next weekend. That will be my red border between the wisteria and star repens then.

So I placed the ludwigia in 2 spots. The back wall now goes left to right: anacharis, 3 ludwigia stems, lemon bacopa, 4 ludwigia stems, wisteria. The middle of the back looks quite empty because the bacopa is in bad shape from shipping, and the ludwigia is new. The tank is way to cloudy for pictures so those will have to wait until tomorrow :)

I'm also going to do some drawing to show where I want to take the tank.
All will happen tomorrow though :)

Ludwigia from slightly above. It is alot more one the underside of the leafs.

FTS

So what does everyone think of the ludwigia splitting the green in the back??

Tomorrow I will get a FTS from a downward angel so you can see the ludwigia.

I have a "cold day" tomorrow and am thinking that a Petsmart run for the AR might be in the planning :)

I went to my pestmart but the shelves were empty of AR. My LFS hasn't gotten a fish order in a couple weeks due to temperature. Which sucks cuz I want some CPDs.

Hopefully they will have it, if not it isn't the end if the world. I can always ask the lfs to post it.

Got back from petsmart, no ar of any kind I didn't even see a spot for it :( later today I will post an update on where I want to take my tank with new plants included

Not draw to scale but it is close to what I want.

Elevated FTS. The ludwigia seems to have a little more red than yesterday but it could just be me.
I promise they look red in person...not so much in the picture

Forgot that I have money wort coming. That will end up next to the glass besides the AR

I like the textures so far. That red one in the middle is very eye-catching...

Looking good!! Can't wait to see more ?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Back
Top Bottom