29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fun...%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D13%26t%3D11524;400;396 this is what it looks like. Doesn't look like the picture in the thread fresh.
I got my package today :) deciding to be nice it mean about when to post the updated fts now...?

One of my sisters friends wanted to know what was wrong with my tank yesterday. When other people start commenting on how overgrown it is I guess it was time for a trim lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its white flaky stuff right. I get it on the air stone I'm using as a diffuser and the suction cup and tubing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not flaky kinda like white beard algae, but only where the co2 comes from

Yea flaky was not the right word. but I get the same thing. Cant wait to order the regulator Wednesday.

Bubble counter is installed. Hopefully that helps.

My dad had an old Hydroponics system that he just sold. He also found a near complete pressurized co2 system that I now have :D Have to do some more research on that specific system and what I need to complete it :)

The kuhlies are liking the QT tank. Found them both up in the plants just hanging out. Probably one of my favorite fish I have had.
Should I trust the co2 system my dad gave me?

Updated FTS. Just need some ar mini to fill the area in front of the blyxa.

Flowering anubias :)

Two buds just chillin'

Tank is looking great!

What all is included in the pressurized system? How old?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

my co2 system. News paper that it was packed in was from 1992 so the system is late '80s.
Think I can get it to work for me?

With some work, it's definitely a possibility. You'll need to change that flow meter out for a needle gauge. It's hard to tell if the seals in the regulator are still good without putting it on a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The flow meter is the clear plastic thing? Which seals, the ones with what loss like Teflon tape?

There are seals in the pressure regulator. The round thing with the screw in the middle.

Yes, the flow meter is the clear plastic thing. Probably has a little ball in it. This works for normal plants, but you need a little more accuracy with aquatic plants since we don't want to gas our fish!

There are seals in the pressure regulator. The round thing with the screw in the middle.

Ok gotcha, what if the seals are no good. Replace the seal or the whole regulator? To test could I just pick up a small tank and hook it up or how should I test the seal. Don't want to buy the needle valve and bubble counter if the regulator leaks.

Yes, the flow meter is the clear plastic thing. Probably has a little ball in it. This works for normal plants, but you need a little more accuracy with aquatic plants since we don't want to gas our fish!

Thanks! Yea gassing the fish wouldn't be good.

I might see if I can get some live food for the kuhlies tomorrow. They don't seem to be eating the pellets or flakes. Lfs had some kind of live food in small dixie cups when I went their last so I might try that out. Will have to ask what it was though first.

This is something that I just thought of but instead of going bare bottom could I put an inch or so of play ground sand in the QT? The bottom is dirty but it isn't fish poop, and trying to clean it all up with a syphon has proven futile.

Ok gotcha, what if the seals are no good. Replace the seal or the whole regulator? To test could I just pick up a small tank and hook it up or how should I test the seal. Don't want to buy the needle valve and bubble counter if the regulator leaks.

Thanks! Yea gassing the fish wouldn't be good.

I might see if I can get some live food for the kuhlies tomorrow. They don't seem to be eating the pellets or flakes. Lfs had some kind of live food in small dixie cups when I went their last so I might try that out. Will have to ask what it was though first.

This is something that I just thought of but instead of going bare bottom could I put an inch or so of play ground sand in the QT? The bottom is dirty but it isn't fish poop, and trying to clean it all up with a syphon has proven futile.

I would hook it up and use soapy water to test for external leaks. If it leaks it would probably cost more to fix than a new setup.

I would hook it up and use soapy water to test for external leaks. If it leaks it would probably cost more to fix than a new setup.

Ok, just have to find a tank now. Can you tell by looking at it what size tank I can use?

You can probably use anything from a 2.5 lb tank all the way up to a 50 lb. CO2 tanks with valves all have the same size outlet. Paintball tanks are a little different though.

If you're looking for a tank, Craigslist is your friend. I found a guy getting rid of his CO2 tank used for making beer. Tank cost me $35. Traded it in to my local welding supply shop and got a filled tank for less than $30.

Ok, I think there is a brewing store close to my horse that I might check out there or the grow center my dad bought 3 6tube T5HO fixtures from.
Online a 5 pound tank is ~$50, if the two stores are cheaper I will go with them.

Make sure you can get your tank filled somewhere in town if you buy your own. A lot of places just have you trade them in. It would suck to get a bright shiny new aluminum tank then get stuck with a nasty beat up steel tank.

Back
Top Bottom