29g Lighting Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some cheap lighting for my 29g tank. It's not planted right now, and I want to do it sometime soon. I do not want to build my own hood. I also do not want CO2 injection. What are my options? It needs to be as cheap as possible. A small LED or something for moonlight would be great, too.

I'm not sure how much WPG is desireable for what I want. Is 2.25wpg enough? My tank is 30" wide.

I don't know much about the different types of bulbs and what the benefits are of each. I tried searching for a thread like this and didn't find much, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It's probably not as cheap as you like, but the 55 watt retrofit kit from AHSupply works like a charm for my 29G tank. I was able to install it in the light hood that came with the tank, and it makes all the difference in the world.

Well, if you're going to plant it. Get the light that you want over the plants now. No point in buying lights now than upgrading. You can even run it w/ 1 bulb if you're having algae problems. How much "wpg" you want depends on what type of plants you want to grow.

So you want it to be planted eventually?

I have had great success in my 29 planted with a 24" 36 watt Coralife CF Fixture. I was suppose to buy a 30" but it is a long story.

My tank is thriving with low-med light plants at about 1.2 WPG with no CO2 injection. At 1.2 you can have good success and I have a 6700K bulb. Make sure you do not get acintic 50/50 because it does no good for F/W plants. This is what I have. You need the one that is 6700 white, not acitic. It is about $50 at Big Als which is cheap. There are so many options for planted tanks and people will have alot of opinions. I am just telling you I have had succes with this. It gets a little hot, and does not come with an installed fan so I have one I got off Ebay installed in my canopy. Between 1.2 and 2.5 should be ok with no CO2. Anymore and you will probably need C02. I can send pics of my tank to you if you want

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...life24aqualightpowercompactstriplight1x36watt

Buy a dual light strip ($30 dollars). Make sure it uses an electronic ballast. Buy Hagen Glo bulbs ($35). Why the Hagen bulbs? They are 20 watt T8s as oppossed to normal 17 watt T8s which are rather hard to find anyway. This should get you 1.5 - 2.0 WPG. This will be enough to grow a good selection of plants down the line.

Reconsider a DIY hood though as they are pretty easy and the only real tool you need is a drill and maybe a handsaw. Okay, I can even see it being done with nothing more than a hammer. Building materials will probably run $35ish (includes all wood, ballast, endcaps). Yes this is five dollars more or so and you have to build it yourself, but you could make it pump out 6 or 7 WPG if you really wanted to.

Stretch said:
Is 1.9wpg enough for a planted tank? What do you have in yours?

Well, 1.9 WPG from a compact flourescent is more than 2WPG from a normal output light (I forget the ratio), and AHSupply's reflector is _stunningly_ bright, which should boost the total light hitting the tank even more.

I don't have anything special in there right now, but I'm confident that I could grow just about any plants in the medium to medium-high category.

Tong said:
Buy a dual light strip ($30 dollars). Make sure it uses an electronic ballast. Buy Hagen Glo bulbs ($35). Why the Hagen bulbs? They are 20 watt T8s as oppossed to normal 17 watt T8s which are rather hard to find anyway. This should get you 1.5 - 2.0 WPG.

Two bulbs at 20 watts comes out to 40 watts = 1.37wpg. That's not enough, is it?

Get the Coralife 30" 65w fixture...its what I have over my 29g...gives you 2.2wpg, perfect for low, medium, and some high light plants without CO2. I have Alternantha growing in my 29g great....even in medium light.

I got mine here. $58 for the fixture, plus shipping isn't too much.

Picture of my 29g....just to show you how well the lighting is:
img_677806_0_309b54744940d74ea2ef2756af09c5de.jpg

Yes I agree. I said I was suppose to get the 30" and that is what I would recommend. I got my 24" for free and have somehow been succesful at 1.2.

It is. I have always liked Coralife and have never had a problem

I have a Coralife over my 55g too and I like it. I bought the mounting legs so the fixtures would be above the glass tops. The fixtures work well for me and they aren't very expensive.

I'd go with the CF set up as well. I always forget about those because I never use them. This is just an FYI.

Two bulbs at 20 watts comes out to 40 watts = 1.37wpg. That's not enough, is it?

Numbers wise yes this is true but effectivly it is not. The WPG rule was devised using T12 bulbs. T8 bulbs are about 50% brighter for any number of watts. CF are about 45%. So 1.37 * 1.5 = ~2.0 WPG. Now if you get the 65w CF, you would be at about 65 * 1.45 / 29 = ~3.25 WPG. There are better ways to calcualte WPG, but doing it this way is adequate and simple enough to understand. Bottom line is, I think all the options mentioned will be sufficient to grow a good variety of plants.

Thanks for the info, Tong.

I emailed Hello Lights, the don't have any in stock, but expect some in a few days. I think I'm going with their 65w CF. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom