2x31w vs 2x24w

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, I was looking and coralife and nova extreme fixtures and wondering which would be better on my 29 gallon high.
coralife 2x31w 1x31w 6700k bulb and 1x31 colormax bulb (mostly red)
or nova extreme 2x24w 1x24w 10000k and 1x24w freshwater t5 ho fluorescent lamp (whatever that means) heres the links for both;
Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X31W 30 inch Coralife T5 HO

Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 30 inch
Thanks,
Troy :)

Hi Troy,

If you are going for a really attractive and high light planted tank, the nova is highly recommended.

So even though the Nova is less wattage it looks better and should still be able to grow plants fine? That's good its cheaper anyways :D

I think either one would work well. The bulb types you can mix and match to your liking for the most part. I'd probably go with the 24 just because the bulbs are more common. Are you planning to use pressurized co2?

I don't plan on using co2 its just not in the budget right now :( but what does the Nova extreme mean by 1x24w t5 ho fluorescent bulb? what bulb is that?

They are the same size fixtures but one utilizes longer bulbs than the other. The 30" bulbs are kind of oddball, the common bulb sizes are 24" 36" 48".

Also, the nova extreme you listed includes 1 actinic bulb which is useless for plant growth, so you may want to consider going with something 6500k-10000k

I'd get a fixture that has the bulbs you want in it already, especially if you aren't trying to get the best of the best, so to speak. I'd get a bulb combination of 6700k and 10000k, several light manufacturers have a 'planted tank' fixture, so just keep looking around. I really like catalina fixtures, and several here recommend fishneedit as well.

The 31w are also only made by that one company, which significantly limits your options if you want to optimize.

this forum is the greatest!

i have been comparing these 2 fixtures for the last wk. i'm going to order the nova 30" from these guys Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 24W - T5 - Freshwater - 30 in. i need to call them to verify that the legs are included.

I am just setting up a 29 gallon. I currently have java fern, scarlet temple (i think), amazon sword and anubias. i stuck a dwarf lily bulb from walmart in there. i want to plant some dwarf sag as well. i will probably order some Excel, too.

Bummer. The nova is sold out. I also like zoo med except the bulbs are only 22 in. That seems small even though the watts are the same. I worry about the light not getting to the edges

Coralife is the best looking. But I don't think I need the wattage

Help!

Back
Top Bottom