3 cichlids together??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luggy978

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just set up a 29g tank. Just waiting to cycle. For my ebjd. This isn't going to be his permanent home. Should be getting a 75 soon. He's about 1.5" at the moment and I also have a parrot cichlid the same size. I have just been offered a jack dempsey the same size. My question is would these three fish be ok together ? At the moment the parrot and the ebjd are in my community tank and seem to be ok with each other and the rest of the fish. i know this will change soon when they are bigger but the 29 is nearly ready. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405970456.902788.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405970620.215296.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405970705.976408.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if the ebjd and regular Dempsey are different sexes they may try to breed when they get bigger , the parrot may be to slow to get out of there way

Don't take this the wrong way, but I doubt you'll get that jack past 3". EBJDs are notoriously fragile, and without a near perfect bloodline and pedigree, these fish seem to wither away and never make it past 3". Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Also, I wouldn't add those all to a 29, and when they get larger (if the ebjd makes it to adulthood that is), the jack would more than likely bully it to death. Ebjds are also MUCH more mild mannered than their wild-type counterparts.

There's debate over ow the EBJD came about, seeing as the electric blue gene in other cichlid species looks completely different, such as blue rams and blue acaras (google the electric blue morph of each to get what I mean). They were also pretty mysteriously brought into the hobby by a single breeder whose name seems to slip my mind currently. The debate is whether the trait is truly genetic, a mutation that was exploited basically, or if it is from hybridization with nandopsis haitiensis. Either way, the ebjd is a pretty weak color morph in comparison to regular jack dempseys

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies guys. Was wondering, if the ebjd does stay about 3", would it be ok staying in the community tank?

Thanks for the replies guys. Was wondering, if the ebjd does stay about 3", would it be ok staying in the community tank?

What freakgecko was saying was they don't usually live long. Sorry

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I realised that moments after I'd posted. Did actually think it would stay stunted at three inch for a moment there!!!

To answer your question, you'd be fine. Just get them in the 75 ASAP. I hate BP's so I'm not going to touch that one.

My understanding of EBJD, it is a naturally occurring type. There's a type of normal JD female, that you get maybe one per brood, that is capable of brooding EBJD's. From there they are pretty much line breed.
I wish I could show you the EBJD fry at my local store, they are the best specimens I have ever seen. And only like $4

To answer your question, you'd be fine. Just get them in the 75 ASAP. I hate BP's so I'm not going to touch that one.

My understanding of EBJD, it is a naturally occurring type. There's a type of normal JD female, that you get maybe one per brood, that is capable of brooding EBJD's. From there they are pretty much line breed.
I wish I could show you the EBJD fry at my local store, they are the best specimens I have ever seen. And only like $4

EBJD are shrouded in mystery and controversy. Yes, there are blue gene (often misspelled as "jean", but is in fact "gene") jack dempseys. The breeding is a bit strange, and I don't believe you can breed a electric blue with another electric blue, much like you can't breed two merle/dapple/harlequin dogs together (like merle chihuahuas, dapple dachshunds, harlequin great dane, etc.). One day the EBJD just kind of showed up from one breeder.

Back
Top Bottom