3-d background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob_thing5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
would it at all be possible to have a custom made background, I saw some pangea backgrounds :: Aquarium background // PANGEA
but would like something that hides all of my equipment but leaves as much space as possible plus I would want ventilation so the filter still works well and as many caves and hiding spots among it( I will have several eel like fish) while matching well to an extremely planted tank. I know ti sounds like a lot to ask for but considering those backgrounds are around 300$ I feel it should be exactly what I want(I could get a tank for that price). Does anybody have any suggestions that doesnt involve me making it myself out of styrofoam?

The two methods I've see for DIY 3D backgrounds involve using either styrofoam or cement.

Big Als online has some 3D backgrounds. This is the one I got.
Hagen Marina 3D Background - Bark at Big Al's Online
How big is your tank? These are only 24 inches long, although I used 2 for a 46 gal I think it looks pretty nice. You can check out the 46 in my profile and you can see what the background looks like.
Basically you silicone the whole thing to the back of the tank. It doesn't really hide anything but an airline or two bu I am still able to use a HOT magnum hanging off the back because is is a thin enough profile.

I think it looks really great, adds depth and richness, pics can't do it justice. It is made out of pressed styrofoam and I can warn you that over time you can see the individual styrofoam balls (like you can on a styro cooler) but from a couple of feet away it still looks great. The color is all the way through the material so it wont get worn away either.

Just a less expensive option...it of course does not have all the features you want I just thought I would pass along one that I found for a budget price.

Also it looks more black than the pic online there I think they lightened it so you could see the texture better.

Back
Top Bottom