3 weeks fishless cycle, nothing happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently trying to cycle a 20 gal and a 10 gal tank. My main focus is the 20 gallon since as long as that one cycles I can use some gravel or filter media to help the 10 gal along. Anyway, I added some pure ammonia to the tank 3 weeks ago today. I got the level up to about 4ppm (if anything slightly less...between 3 + 4). I've tested about every other day since then, and the ammonia level has not changed in the slightest. Just for grins I tested the nitrites as well today and there are absolutely none. The temperature has been around 82 degrees, however I just checked it now and it is about 85 degrees (having sort of a heat wave here). I have two air pumps hooked up right now for lots of surface agitation and have never turned on the light for more than 2 or 3 minutes to show it off. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? I only have one friend with tanks but their fish are always sick so I don't feel comfortable taking her gravel or filter media. I'm starting to get QUITE impatient!! Help me!!!!!

3 weeks ago...your ammonia should be at 0 and maybe nitrites at it's peak. Probably you should start seeing nitrates now. This is my 2nd week and my nitrite is at 0.25 while my ammonia is at 4.0. I know it takes a lot of patience but you should start seeing more progress by now.

This is why I am so worried. It's been three weeks and NOTHING has happened. Ammonia at 4ppm. NitrItes 0. NitrAtes 0. All I can think is I'm doing something wrong. I just don't know what!

I'm going to have to disagree with Mako. Three weeks with an unseeded tank isn't out of line. My 20L took about six weeks using media from my other tanks. I may have stalled the cycle a little at first by adding too much ammonia, but it does take a while.

Do you know any LFS that would give or sell you established media? Some keep cultured bioballs for that reason. Others are willing to give you some gravel or gunk from the filter. It can only help.

Don't get discouraged. Once you start seeing some nitrites, the cycle goes pretty quickly. I applaud you for the fishless cycle. It's definitely worth it.

Yea my cycle is taking forever. almost been three weeks for me as well. still nothing happening.

I feel like im never going to get my fisheys. :(

so today i talked to a friend and she is giving me a used filter cartridge. any advice on the procedure since there is already pure ammonia in the tank and it's been going for three weeks? should i take the one that's in there now out and replace it with the cycled one? or should i run it with both? or smear the used one on the one in the tank now? should i do a water change first to bring down the ammonia level?

I wouldn't do a water change. I have been reading that keeping the lights on for a while and adding some fish food could help speed up the process. I am entering my second week of fishless cycling, and it is driving me nuts not being able to get my fish. I cut up the used filter media I got and stuck it in with mine. I'm pretty sure you could do any of those things yours and it would help. I also got some decorations from my old tank and put those in as well. Is it possible that there isn't enough ammonia in the tank? I'm not sure if that is possible but just a thought that popped in my head. The good thing is whatever you do it won't hurt your fish :)

Just chuck your friend's cartridge into the tank if you don't have room to put it in the filter. Run both at the same time. It's hard to seed your cartridge if it's not in the tank.

+1 on not doing the PWC. You'd just be removing bacteria food.

ok, it's all making sense now. +1 BigJim thanks! will get the filter cartridge tomorrow and either put it behind the one that's in there (so the water flows through the seeded one first) or just drop it right in the tank. then i can take the used one out and chuck it. crossing my fingers!

so saturday evening i tossed the seeded cartridge into the tank. there still has been no change in the ammonia level, it's still about 4ppm and there are no nitrites. i'm starting to think that this fishless cycle thing is a load. it's been 4 weeks today. nothing has happened. any thoughts??

i had it turned up so it was about 82-84. i just checked and it was reading 80. i don't have a very good thermometer, just the sticky one on the outside. i just turned up the heater. any suggestions for a better inexpensive thermometer?

Crank the heater up to the high 80s. You can turn it down after the cycle has completed. I just use the cheap in-tank thermometers from Petsmart or Petco. I like the suction cup thermometers, but it's a personal preference. I have an instant-read meat thermometer that I checked the glass thermometers readings against and it's close enough for me.

ok. i have a question though. if the bacteria need it to be that high to grow, will they all die when i turn the temp back down?? none of this is making any sense to me anymore. i'm just about to say screw it and add some fish. someone convince me not to.

They won't die at lower temperature levels, it just helps them thrive and "want" to live there. lol. It just helps accelerate the process is all.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, can I ask a few questions:

What are you using for source water? Well, or commercial water?

Did you dechlorinate the water when you added it?

What type of ammonia are you using? You said pure ammonia, but just to make sure there cannot be any perfumes(scents) or surfactants in it. These items will kill the bacteria.

how much ammonia did you add to the tank? Did you check the ammonia level in thae tank before adding any?

What type of filtration is in the tank stirring things up?

Was the tank new and/or cleaned when you first set it up? if it was cleaned, what components were used to clean the tank?

I'm concerned there's something in the tank that's killing/preventing the bacteria - especially if you've added seed material and still not seeing anything. 3 weeks isn't long enough to complete a cycle, but you should have seen something by now in terms of ammonia consumption.

Last edited:
i am using city water. i added API Stress Coat+ when i set up the tank. i shook the bottle of ammonia, no bubbles. i just now read over the bottle to make sure and realized it says "regular scent". :mad: great. now what? i guess i have to empty the tank and wash everything and start over? i only added like 3 tsp of it once.
to answer the other questions i am using a tetra whisper 30 filter and have two air pumps going, and the tank was new so we rinsed it with some boiling water before filling it.
if i break down the tank and clean everything then start over with a seeded filter cartridge (and PURE ammonia), how long will the cycle take? i want to cry right now btw.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes that's what is causing your issues. The scent in the ammonia is like poison to bacteria, unfortunately.

Depending on how much money you have in the tank right now in terms of gravel/substrate, decor, you'll have to make the decision to try to clean everything, or just toss it and start anew.

If you want to clean it, drain the tank and take everything out and just rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. After you've done that, rinse it some more. The tank you'll need to clean as well using lots of water and maybe a 1:20 ratio of white vinegar - then rinse it out a LOT.

Filters, heaters, gravel, fake plants, sunken ships, skulls, treasure chests - whatever you have in your tank will need to be rinsed extensively if you want to save it.

Any filter media you had in there just throw it away - it's virtually impossible to get sponges, carbon, or bio-media clean because of how porous it is.

Then, unfortunately, you have to start your cycle all over again. If you have a friend that can supply you filter media, gravel, or anything from their tank that's loaded/seeded with bacteria, that will definately make things go faster this time around. You can also ask your LFS for seed material too - they look at you funny, but usually comply.

If I didn't mention it, you gotta rinse everything really really well.

I keep saying it, and I'm not trying to be funny or antagonizing, I promise - I'm just trying to iterate how important it is to get all that stuff really clean so you don't have this problem again.

Ace Hardware is the only place I've been able to find pure ammonia. They call it "Janitorial Strength" and nowhere else I've looked has trully "pure" ammonia.

Depending on how seeded the filter media is, your cycle can be done is as little as 7-14 days. I don't want to get your hopes up, as this is rare, but it is doable. The more stuff you can get from your friend the better - even if you don't keep it in your tank after the cycle is complete. Fake plants, gravel, anything you can get will help - although filter sponges are the best.

Last edited:
This maybe a silly question and I'll be the first to admit I may be a little delirious from lack of sleep but I'm just curious but could someone ship some old filter media and have the bacteria live as long as it stayed wet?

I cycled my 55 gallon in less than a week. I put in 10 feeder fish and let it go for 2 days. I tested the water ammonia was high. I did pwc 50% and added water Safe with beneficial bacteria. next day ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 20. a cycled tank. I recommend the water safe product. It worked very well. It was only three bucks too. I used the tablets.

I cycled my 55 gallon in less than a week. I put in 10 feeder fish and let it go for 2 days. I tested the water ammonia was high. I did pwc 50% and added water Safe with beneficial bacteria. next day ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 20. a cycled tank. I recommend the water safe product. It worked very well. It was only three bucks too. I used the tablets.

You're gunna catch a lot of flak for that comment. Many people think that you basically tortured your "feeder fish". (Since, you know, ammonia IS poisonous to fish) Plus, it's hard to find a chemical product that works well for everyone.

My advice, do the fishless cycle. Get the right stuff and try again. If you would have put fish in you would have killed them anyway. Yes, cycling is generally a pain. It's not fun for anyone. It takes a long time, and generally people that are new to the hobby just want their fish NOW! If you do things right, you'll be happy in the long run.

BTW, could the OP use a dilute solution of bleach to clean everything? Then put a bunch of extra dechlorinator in afterword? (OP, don't try this until someone answers)

EDIT: To the OP, the bacteria won't die when you let the temp back down. Put it this way, when are you more active, when it's 70 degrees F outside, or when it's 12? Yes it's a much larger temp gap but the same general principle applies. (Actually technically I think you body might be working harder when it's 12, trying to keep itself warm and all, but I digress). The bacteria LIKE the higher temperature, but don't NEED it. Don't give up, this is the hardest part of being a responsible fish owner. (Actually waiting to buy them that is :)) Think about it this way, now you have all of this time to plan out WHAT you want in your tank instead of just going to the store and saying "I want THAT one". You can research what fish will get along with others, what kind of tank parameters each kind needs etc.

Back
Top Bottom