3 weeks fishless cycle, nothing happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're gunna catch a lot of flak for that comment. Many people think that you basically tortured your "feeder fish". (Since, you know, ammonia IS poisonous to fish) Plus, it's hard to find a chemical product that works well for everyone.

My advice, do the fishless cycle. Get the right stuff and try again. If you would have put fish in you would have killed them anyway. Yes, cycling is generally a pain. It's not fun for anyone. It takes a long time, and generally people that are new to the hobby just want their fish NOW! If you do things right, you'll be happy in the long run.

BTW, could the OP use a dilute solution of bleach to clean everything? Then put a bunch of extra dechlorinator in afterword? (OP, don't try this until someone answers)

Oh well they are all still alive and kicking, and they are feeder fish, you get them for food. Torture? They are going in the city pond to be food for the bass.

I have read that it takes longer to cycle with feeder fish. That's what us educated folk do, we read on things so we know what we are doing. That is really ignorant and you don't deserve to have fish if you are going to treat them like that.

Go to your shed, get out a bag of miracle grow or a fertilizer with "ammoniacal nitrogen" then grind a pinch and i mean a PINCH like an amount that fits between your little finger and your thumb into a powder and toss it in. It's a safe source of ammonia and will help start the bacteria up as it has some extra nutrients in it. It may cause algae problems at first but you don't need to have a lighted cycle.

Oh well they are all still alive and kicking, and they are feeder fish, you get them for food. Torture? They are going in the city pond to be food for the bass.

you do realize its illegal to dump aquarium fish into a outside water source, ie ocean, lakes, city ponds. and tell people on this site or any aquarium site that you plan to do it will bring you no friends. i think you need to really do some reading and educate yourself on the hobby

Well I suggest you go research that statement. It is legal. Maybe where you live it is not but where I live it is. Just like it is legal to remove them to raise in captivity. My god folks get a grip. I suppose to buy FEEDER FISh and feed them to another fish is ok, but I cant use them to cycle a tank and feed a bass. Wow, got some hard core hypocrites.
Personally I don't care what you think I deserve, There are 2 ways to cycle a tank, 1). with fish and 2). without fish. I did it with fish. Get a grip.

where d o you live that its legal to dump fish in a city pond?
and its not that you cant cycle with fish, its just really bad for the fish. ammonia and even more so nitrites are poisonous to fish. so to subject them to those conditions sucks. why put fish thru that when there are alternitive ways that produce the same result.

as for them just being feeder fish and us being hypocrites about them. you should look thru this forum or any forum. the use of feeder fish to feed is also frowned upon. not because of the fish getting eatten but because of the deseises feeder fish usually carry. they offer almost no nuitritional value and they will mess up your tank and fish as fast as anything.

which is usually why dumping fish is bad. anything your feeder fish are carrying is now in your tank for your live stock to pick up and your going to dump into the city park. so any bass that eats your fish will now have those desieses and will pass it along to the rest of the pond. you can argue that its ok and legal but its not the right thing to do. alot of the bad light that comes onto this hobby is from people doing what you are planning to do. i cant stop you from doing it, cause your stubburn about what you think is right and ok. but its not good.

your way may work but its not the responsible way. ill leave it at that

I'm going to ask that we all keep things civil in here. The debate on cycling with fish vs. cycling without fish will never end, and it's quite alright to have and express your own opinions about it - just do so with a bit of tact and decency please.

As for dumping into local ponds - the advice here is sound, so to the OP please just consider this. Some areas it's legal, other's it's not. Folks are just trying to help.

Again - this is a very opinionated topic and it's fine to express your views - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just please keep things friendly in here.

I'm going to ask that we all keep things civil in here. The debate on cycling with fish vs. cycling without fish will never end, and it's quite alright to have and express your own opinions about it - just do so with a bit of tact and decency please.

As for dumping into local ponds - the advice here is sound, so to the OP please just consider this. Some areas it's legal, other's it's not. Folks are just trying to help.

Again - this is a very opinionated topic and it's fine to express your views - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just please keep things friendly in here.
Well said (y)

I personally think there is a big difference between being eaten and living in poisonous gill-burning water. Cycling with feeder fish is just like long-term torture. Being eaten is i'm sure much quicker and less painful. Just my two cents.

Good point! I guess in the long run it would be better for them to be eaten, but what if they don't and the water they are dumped into still burns :( Either way I am passionate about people treating their animals right and fish is no exception! Lol.

I didn't mean to start an argument, I apologize. I was just saying that a lot of people on the site frown upon WITH fish cycling.

Anyway, OP, keep us posted for how the new cycle goes, have you cleaned everything yet?

i have almost finished cleaning everything. we are changing almost everything in the tank so i'm kinda glad we had to tear it down. we're switching to PFS (still need to pick up), and we got a big piece of mopani driftwood (still soaking in shower), i picked up a bunch of rocks and stone from an LFS right here in town that i never knew about before wednesday!!! it's really nice, too, nice looking tanks and a bunch of live plants. i can't believe i didn't know about it before! it's called "Pet Deli" so I guess i just always assumed it was just a dog and cat food kind of place. i checked it out on a whim and to my surprise they specialize in fish and have tons of stuff! it's very exciting, since before i knew this place was there, the closest LFS or chain store are all just about an hour away. this new one i found is about 5-7 minutes away. VERY exciting.:dope:

Mommytron,

So sorry about the ammonia mix-up. Tearing down a tank can feel like the worst thing but as I think you are discovering it's the best opportunity to improve!

You are going to have an amazing tank. Keep up the good work, keep researching before moving. You can get it right!

i have almost finished cleaning everything. we are changing almost everything in the tank so i'm kinda glad we had to tear it down. we're switching to PFS (still need to pick up), and we got a big piece of mopani driftwood (still soaking in shower), .... VERY exciting.:dope:

That's awesome! Good for you! I'm glad you haven't gotten discouraged by having to restart. As taylor said, it's the best time to improve!

I had a similar situation with pet stores around me. I had always gone to a semi chain store because it was the closest one to me. There was a store named "Seahorse" next to it, but the building just looked weird. It was painted purple and black, and a little run down. After being told by one of the moderators here that it was a really cool place, I went in to find that it was an AWESOME fish place. They have a 1000 gallon display tank in the store. They have a huge freshwater section, and a large (separate) saltwater section. It's awesome. They even have turtles and have spring deals for tanks of 1 dollar per gallon. (75 gallon tank is 75 bucks). I guess you can never read a book by it's cover. :p

Oh and they have puppies and kittens too. But not that much dog or cat food, mostly fish stuff.

Mommytron,

So sorry about the ammonia mix-up. Tearing down a tank can feel like the worst thing but as I think you are discovering it's the best opportunity to improve!

You are going to have an amazing tank. Keep up the good work, keep researching before moving. You can get it right!

I hope my tank does turn out like I am hoping, if it does, it should be pretty sweet. It's weird, but I'm glad this happened. It's given me a ton of time to think about and research the kind of fish I want. If the tank was ready for fish a week or two ago I would have just thrown in whatever looked cool to me at the time. Instead, I have time to plan on who will be compatible and also read up on problems I may incur. This forum has been extremely helpful in all aspects. I felt completely deflated when I found out I used the wrong ammonia, but within a couple hours and a few responses I felt much better and extremely optimistic! Thanks everyone who's helped me, especially in this thread (minus the whole debate dealy). I can't wait to share my completed tank with everyone! I should be getting the PFS tomorrow and filling it up after rinsing the sand! I may have to wait to add the mopani, however, it's been soaking almost a week and still leeching heavy tannins. oh well, it will be worth it!

I hear ya! I had my tank set up for a few years before I found this forum and after a few days a trolling around on here I stared at my tank and decided oh no this just won't do and completely redid the whole thing..lol. Now I'm much more satisfied with it and way less nervouse about it your lucky you found this when you did I wish I had been so lucky probally would have saved me and a few fish (God rest there souls) a lot of heartache. Amazing what some back up will do for ya huh.

I hear ya! I had my tank set up for a few years before I found this forum and after a few days a trolling around on here I stared at my tank and decided oh no this just won't do and completely redid the whole thing..lol.

Lol. I know after seeing everyone's awesome tank pics I am like whoa I suck at aquascaping lol

I'll add my $0.02 I used to cycle with fish when starting from scratch.... I even cycled with a pair of rams (in a 70 gal tank) and they bred and had wrigglers until the corys ate the fish.

I figure if you can cycle with Rams, they breed and the wrigglers hatch there is nothing wrong with cycling with fish. If they were tortured they wouldn't breed. Mind you I was doing 2x a day pwcs...... thats why the rams bred I guess, all that fresh water. BTW it took 6 weeks to cycle.

Mind you I was doing 2x a day pwcs...... thats why the rams bred I guess, all that fresh water.

There ya go, that's probably why everything survived.

Anyway, to the OP, I know you can find pretty much any information on the internet these days, but if you want a REALLY good book about just about any fish or plants you could ever want, I'd suggest this one.

Aquarium Atlas

It has just about anything you'd ever want to know about the fish you're about to buy, how hard they are to take care of, what kind of parameters they need etc. It's not THAT cheap, but you can find it used for decently cheap. (I think I got mine for 15 bucks). Also, if you want a book that's a great resource for aquascaping, look at this one...

Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature

It tells you how to make stunning displays that try to copy real world environments. For example, if you had a fish that was from some river in South America, the book tells you how to create almost the same environment in your tank. It tells you what kind of rocks you'd find there, what plants grow there, what the substrate is like, what kind of parameters you'd find there etc. Plus, it has AWESOME pictures. It give great ideas on how to aquascape nicely. This one is slightly cheaper too.

I bought both, and love both of them. Apparently there are 4 or 5 of those aquarium atlas books. The author keeps adding to it and releasing new books. Although the first one alone is great to have, as I feel it covers most of the common aquarium fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom