30 gallon tank, Dwarf Lion Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone!! I had a fresh water tank before that was nuked. I had started it up without reading and all the good stuff we do when we first get into the hobby thinking it's all too easy. :banghead:

As of right now, I am in the process of getting a new tank, same size. Just the tank I got everything else. I am repainting the stand to black, it was oak. Didn't like oak I think black matches everything. Once I do that I a plan on doing a salt water tank and fishless cycle. Starting the beginning of November with the cycle.

I don't plan on a reef tank, just some live rock (Enough to get a good bio things going on). I wanted to set up the rock on one corner of my tank as to provide some hiding spaces for the Fuzzy Dwarf Lion Fish I plan on keeping. I plan on keeping Just him/her in the tank. No other fish and I was also planning on putting a tuxedo sea urchin in with the tank to help keep it clean.
I was wondering if I should put another fish in with the Lion, or just keep to my Idea. The only reason I was wondering if I should keep another fish is because of the bio-filter that I want to keep up in my tank for the good bacteria. If I should put another fish, what fish should I put in a 30 gallon set up so he will not eat the fish and both will be happy?

I have a 30 gallon tank filter that sits on the tank, but I am going to buy a canister filter to add to the tank filtering. I was planning on using the regular filter with a sponge filter inside to keep some good bio going, and the canister filter will help as well. I got a good heater and I am also going to use a bubbler being I got one on the side of the tank with a small air stone. Not some big on, just to keep water moving and to use it because I got it. I am also going to get a skimmer!

So the plan! Live rock built up on the right side of the tank to offer hiding places and some perches for my guy to lay on and the urchin to munch on. A big open space for swimming on the left side. Two filters, the little Marian land one and a canister one, and a small air stone bubbler on the left side. The tank that I plan will only have two living residents in. A dwarf fuzzy lion, and a tuxedo sea urchin. My main question is should I add another fish, and what fish should it be?

I'd say set up the tank, get it cycled really well then add the lionfish. Once he's eating well and settled in think about another little fish (but too big to eat of course). Dwarf lionfish are weird in that they sit around a lot. Its why smaller tanks are ok. After about 3 months if everything is going well in your tank add a fish for movement....

Cool, No Air Stone than. Thanks Crystal. When I get this tank set up I will take pics and post here. I know the Dwarfs Lion fish likes to lay around a-lot. That's why I have chosen it as my fish of choice. I am doing a lot of research before getting my fish. I don't want to end up messing this tank up like I did my fresh water tank. Do you think the tuxedo sea urchin and the Lion Fish will be ok together and produce enough waste to get the good bacteria going?

I don't really want to add another fish, I just want to make sure that the two things I have chosen will be fine together and be more than enough to keep up the good bacteria.

Every time I look up what to put with the Lion Fish, all you get is. Big enough for it not to fit into it's mouth. The only problem with that is, nothing big enough can fit into a 30 gallon tank comfortably.

Sorry to hear about your FW tank crash, but setup sounds exciting! Would love to see the setup when you have everything. A lionfish should be more than enough for the bioload. This is partly because of the foods that you will give the lionfish . It creates more waste than feeding food to say a clownfish...hopefully that makes sense :lol: Also, urchins eat coralline algae which many people love to keep for viewing pleasure (pink, purple, etc.). If you don't care then that won't be a problem at all. Also if there isn't enough algae in the tank for the urchin to feast supplementing it with dried seaweed.

Thanks Obscurereef!

Yeah, I read up on the tuxedo sea urchin, I think they look really cool. It was the only one I found that gave minimal tank size of 20 gallons. So I thought a 30 gallon would be idea for it. Plus I read up on it's feeding requirements. I figure the Lion wouldn't mess with it because of it not really being a fish, and it being too big to get into it's mouth. Plus it has spins the Lion wouldn't want to mess with it. Thanks for the info!!

Yeah no problem! Sea Urchins are awesome and it will look great in your tank. Any fish will definitely stay away from them b/c of their spikes. Except for the striped shrimpfish that uses the long spine urchin as protection pretty much. A very interesting type of fish that I hope to keep in the distant future (they are for experts..really hard to keep, but what a rewarding challenge!)

When you buy your lion it will probably only eat live feeder fish which is a pain buy you can ween hum onto krill if you keep at it. Took me about 2 months but once he took to frozen i havent had to feed another live fish. Dwarf lions are awesome, youll love it. If suggest since its reef safe you pick up some easy coral like grren star polyps to add some movement in the tank but thats just me

Obscurefeed

I did some research and a lot of people and internet sources say that they are not hard to keep. That is why I choose the one I did.

Animal-Chin

All I got is the "Single Bright LED Aquarium Lighting" light from Marineland. I thought about corals but getting a light for the coral is a lot I see them for 100 of dollars. Now if there is coral that can use that light than ok, I might. How would I even go about putting the corals in? Would I put them in first than the fish? I have done no research as of yet because I never planed on putting corals into my tank. I am planing on a much bigger tank. 90-200 gallons but not anytime in the future. About a year or two out, and I am trying to get information about that to have. I have another posting on this website for that. ;-p

Those lights may be ok for mushrooms and polyps. You can add thrm any time, before or after. Heres my dwarf, such amazing fish...

Attachments

• image-103495293.jpg
    image-103495293.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 346
Or kill two birds with one stone and just get a fuman shu lionfish. Shy at first but do a lot of swimming! And they are a lot more better looking than other lionfish.

Or kill two birds with one stone and just get a fuman shu lionfish. Shy at first but do a lot of swimming! And they are a lot more better looking than other lionfish.

Yes, but I heard they are a lot harder to take care for the first timer.

What is a Lions Fish life span anyway?

Also I was looking at some live rock online that was not cured, is it easy to cure live rock? Being I am not going to start my tank with fish, I was wondering if getting uncured live rock is good. It's much cheaper than live rock that is cured.

Uncured means the critters that can come with live tock are still alive so you may end up with a crab or worm or something. Its going ti have some die off on route but since youre cycling anyway it doesnt matter. Cured has been left in the dark to kill off the critters that can come with it but it also is missing the good bacteria that comes with uncured from what ive read...

If it is missing the life and bacteria...then it's just wet rock right? Not live...I'm pretty sure there's still pods and bacteria on it...not sure...anyway. Yes you can either cure the rock yourself or you can just add the uncured rock to the tank if you'd like. btw that lion is mesmerizing! Can't get my eyes to leave that spot on the screen...MUST...LOOK...AWAY! :lol: Very nice camera quality too.

Obscurereef

Buy Walt Smith Premium Fiji Live Rock - 44 lb. Box Online | Vivid Aquariums

This is the rock I was thinking about. I mean 44 pounds for 129 is the best I have found so far. I think 44 pounds would be more than enough for my tank and for my Lion to be happy.

Plus all I got to do is cure it, and I read on the website how too. It does not seem too hard. Just put it in my tank with some water movement, and do a 50% water change. Just as if I was doing the cycle anyway. Take it out, clean it off arrange the way I want and done. My only question is would I need the ammonia still or would this rock be that source?

Also you sure mushrooms would be ok with the light I got? I thought all coral needed the coral lights that are special for them? I got the Marine Land Single Bright LED strip for the 29 to 30 gallon tanks. Nothing special!

Great! That store is fantastic and high-quality. I bet it is even better in person.
Where I Buy My Fish and Coral Online - YouTube
Anyway, yes you still need an ammonia source. The live rock will have some die off which will help cycle your tank, but it won't be enough. Just put a shrimp or buy pure ammonia from a hardware store. I'm not sure about the light, but I think that you might be able to keep zoas and mushrooms. They are good beginner corals and don't need a lot of light. However, I have read that they shouldn't even be used to grow plants, so might be a gamble unless you compare PAR ratings.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I had a few more questions. How big do I need to make my hiding spaces for my LionFish when I get him? I am going to get 44 pounds of live rock for my 29 gallon tank. (Yes it's a 29 gallon tank, I messed up when I said 30). I am not sure if I am going to put all that into my tank, but it's the cheapest I found so far and it only comes with a 44 pound shipment.
How many powerheads should I get for my tank and how big? I don't want to make the current so bad my fish can't swim. I was thinking on not getting powerheads as I thought the Fluval and skimmer would create enough current for the tank.

Also at some pet stores, I found Coralife 10,000K Fluorescent Lamps for 13 dollars. I thought coral lights require 100 of dollar lights. So is this a legit light for coral if you already got the hood and fluorescent lamp hood? I would maybe like to have a few corals, was not really planning on it, but it would be cool if it's that cheap to buy a lamp to support some coral if not all types.

I am assuming coral is good for the tank just like live plants are for a fresh water tank.

First the light. That is a 13watt regular bulb and won't support coral at all. You'd need a lot more light that that...

I've got a good current going and my lion has no issue swimming it it. Id say for a 29gallon one power head should do.

My lion never hides so I don't know about hiding spots for him. Just make some cool ledges for him to sit on, that should be fine...

Back
Top Bottom