30 gallon tank, Dwarf Lion Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The light looks good, I have a pulsing Xenia soft coral. I have a deep blue solar max with 10,000K lights, seems to be enough, and the Xenia is doing well. I'm not huge into corals, so I'm not sure what all soft corals that light will support.

And I second baron about the tuxedo, the spines would actually be a major deterrent for most fish. I need to stop being lazy and post some pics of my tanks and the inhabitants.

Is this a good protein Skimmer?

Amazon.com: Aquatop PSE1 Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ UV + Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Only one review. I was going to use a

Protein Skimmer for Saltwater: Aquarium Systems SeaClone Protein Skimmer at Petco

but a lot of bad reviews on it, so hell no. I like the 89.99 price tag on the other one and the UV light seems cool. If that's not a good skimmer than what is and it's only for a 29 gallon tank with dwarf lion and hawkfish.

Also this kit is on sale for 15 dollars my Local Fish store. Good pick up to get my tank rolling?

http://www.amazon.com/API-Saltwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001EUE808/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

Also this is the filter I plan on using. Everything good to go? Just wanting to make sure things are good before buying. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A207-Fl...ie=UTF8&qid=1348697630&sr=1-5&keywords=Fluval

I personally use Reef Octopus Protein skimmers, have one on each tank. one tank has a sump filter, the other has a Marineland canister filter, similar to the Fluval you are interested in, only rated for more gallons. I definitely would have gotten a Fluval 6 series if they had them at the time. It's a great company. You are saving some money, but not as much as they say you are saving. see how much they sell them locally, and make sure it's a 6 series and not a 5 series. 6 series is the newer model, and Better technology. Look also in the price of a HOB Reef octopus. I like mine, but that is just my opinion. Also, what kind of substrate( sand) are you going to use?

Another thing, if you are new to the hobby, have your LFS test your water for you. You will be investing a good amount of money, so I would let someone with experience test your water to make sure everything is good. My LFS tests mine for anywhere from 50 cent to $3.00 depending on the test.

I heard the petco one (seaclone) was horrible...I think reef octupus would be your best bet. I use Aqua Medic Turbo flotor and it pulls out so much gunk, but I think you're looking for a cheaper skimmer. I don't think that having your LFS test your water for you is a good idea. Get the standard API saltwater test kit so you can do it yourself, especially with an emergency or when you're monitoring your cycle every few days you wouldn't want to drive back and forth to the store to get some tests. Plus you might be tempted to buy something when you go to the lfs for testing :eek:

Hey Obscurereef

That test is on sale at my LFS for 15 dollars, so I will pick that up easily!

If you click on the link for that Fluval it's the 6 serious. At all my LFS they are 139 dollars at jacks, 110 dollars at petco, and so on. That is the cheapest I found them.

Also I read up on the skimmer and a lot of people say it's good. I found more reviews. I am going to go with it because I only got a 29 gallon and the Reef Octopus are for 100 on up. This is the website for it with more details.

PSE1 Power Protein Skimmer (HOB) w/ UV + Power Filter

A youtube video.

PSE1 200 Gallon Protein Skimmer - YouTube

So I think it will work, it looks like a new product. Better reviews then the Petco one. lol

I was planing on never doing my own salt mix, with my LFS selling water, I though that would be the best way to go for water changes. A few dollars a week will not kill me. I always did five gallons water changes when I had my freshwater. My freshwater tank was going good and everything healthy until I decided to mess things up and stress my Clown Loaches myself. I do plan on taking my water for testing to "The Reef" in Indianapolis after I cycle my tank and make sure everything is ready to go!!

Than again, I might find it easy to do my own water changes. I have well water and I don't know about that. Does anyone else just buy the water?

"The Reef" and "Jacks" will test my water for free. :p Had them do it many a times for me with my freshwater. Like I said I added something new to the tank (A fake tree stump with more opening and hiding places) and removed the old decorations my clowns loved hiding in. They looked really scared when I did that, but I thought they would be fine after they found the new hiding space, they stayed on the bottom of the tank in the corner for all day without moving. Than I saw the white spots on one, started treating than the other got it. Both were dead in days. My water tested fine too, and my strips I used looked fine as well. So live and learn.

That is a good skimmer. I just went with a Reef octopus, mainly because the ease of cleaning out the collection cup. I also feel coralife makes great products, especially lighting systems.

I have a coralife cone skimmer and think it does a very nice job if your looking into a cheaper skimmer

Just to let you all know, I have officially started my build! YEAH!!

Hope to have everything lined up and ready to go by the end of October and get my tanked cycled though November.

When I say I offcially started, I bought a new 29 gallon tank to replaced the chipped old one. :p

All of the skimmers look so darn complicated. I hope that I can get it running right. Do I put the skimmer in while cycling or just when I get the fish?

Also this is an off the wall question. How often do fish die in this hobby? It seems that we all take great care in trying not to kill our fish, but it happens. Just how much stock should I put into it if say my first lion dies even though all the water perimeters was right, the feeding was right. Just something happens and dead. When do you think it's a good idea for a person to give up the hobby? I guess the question is what's an acceptable mortality rate for fish for a hobbyist? Random question, I know. lol

They can be a strange new piece of equipment, I know because I was overwhelmed with all the parts that came with my skimmer, but I just read the directions and it was all good :lol:. If you get stuck assembling you could always ask for help on here...some skimmers are plug and play. You can turn on the skimmer while cycling (usually skimmers take a week to "break in"). However, I turned on the skimmer after my tank cycled b/c the skimmer takes out organic waste so that it doesn't decay and cause an increase in nitrates, however this is what you want during a cycle. You don't want to take waste out that you want to decay to start the cycle.

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for the help. I feel way more confident than I did in setting up my tank than I ever did. I hope this leads to success and I am confident that it will. I will be updating this thread on my build.

Yeah, you have to break in a skimmer, so might as well do it as soon as you start. They look complicated, but in all reality are pretty simple devices. If you do come across problems, just post on this forum. About fish death, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!! Especially starting out. Don't let it discourage you though, not at all!!!!! going to that, while you cycle your tank, go and buy a small bottle of Smart Start! I swear by this stuff!!! It will automatically get the good bacteria you need for your aquarium. It's a great kick start!!! Going back to fish death: before you put any fish in, make sure it cycles, then test the water at you local fish store(LFS), next make sure the fish you pick is healthy: no ICH!! Also, make sure you ask the people to feed him, and make sure he eats, before buying. Not eating can be a sign of bad health. don't just go and buy a fish just so you can get started, being new, you might not be able to nurse a fish to proper health. And when I first started I would test the water twice a week. most people change their water once a month about 20%. I did and still do it once a week. About 10%. Sounds excessive, but this is where logic kicks in. Do you really want your fish to be swimming in month old water, basically using the water to its limits??? I don't. make sure you only top off in between water changes with RO water. Never ever use tap!!!! I know I just posted a lot, but take it in, write the steps down, keep your patience, and you will have happy healthy fish. And I think I may have had 6 fish total die, all from rookie mistakes. A lot of people will go though hundreds and thousands of fish before they get it right. Sorry for the long post. And again: Smart Start!!!!

That's the whole reason why I started researching a month out even before set up. I killed about 10 already. With my freshwater fish tank. Don't want to be responsible for a massacre when I already killed 10. :p

I believe with the help you all have given me, and getting a list of the right equipment it will help me BIG time from this point.

My brother wants to do a similar size tank, and this would be his first tank. I said wait until I do mine and get it running, that way I can get a sponge ready for him. Plus I will have knowledge about what to get and do.

I was wondering? Where my tank hood has the band that runs in the middle, I was thinking of adding a strip of this.

Aquarium Coral WHITE 10000K Light LED Strip 100 Lumens/Ft SaltWater Reef 10,000k | eBay

Would that help grow some coral? I don't expect it be be the end all lighting solution, but I thought they looked cool. I mean a strip of LED's is cool in itself. :p I might buy a roll just because I think it's cool, and not necessarily helpful in keeping coral alive and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom