30 gallon tank how much substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A couple of questions . How much substrate do I need for a 30 gallon tank. When people use sand can it be any kind of sand, I have some natural sand along our creek and can you mick it with another substrate or do I need to.. I have an angel fish a catfish . I currently have a 5 gallon and I picked up a 30 gallon at a garage sale for $8.00 and want to give my fish a planted tank to live in.. Thanks for your time..:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 010 copy_edited-1.jpg
    010 copy_edited-1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • 018 copy_edited-1.jpg
    018 copy_edited-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Typically in a planted tank you want about 3" of substrate. I used Quickrete's Premium Playsand in both my planted tanks and I love it. I got a 50# bag for $4 at home depot.

Just a FYI, it looks like you have a synodontis eupterus, if that is the case then you will need to re-home him. They will get WAY to big for your 30g tank. I had one that went from my 10g, to a 30g, to a 55g, to a 120g cichlid tank. They are very boisterous fish and like to uproot plants and knock rock work over.

Synodontis Eupterus

I did not know he got that big. He likes to hide, the only time he comes out is feeding time.. I'll have to find him a new home if he is going to wreck the plants.. Thank you for the information and the FYI.. That helps..

Back
Top Bottom