30 Tall Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are currently in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tall tank that is an upgrade to our 20 long. Our current stocking in the 20 gallon is:

5 glass catfish
7 harlequin rasboras
1 long-fin albino BN
1 male swordtail
1 glofish
3 otos

It feels understocked right now because the glass cats, rasboras, and BN are all juvenilles. The tank is well-established, just with some relatively new fish.

We're wondering if this stocking will fill up a 30 tall. Will we have room to add anything else?

More details, if they make a difference in this: Filter on the 30 will probably be an AquaTech 30-60, if not two, as we already have them laying around, and it'll be planted with Eco-complete capped potting soil.

We are currently in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tall tank that is an upgrade to our 20 long. Our current stocking in the 20 gallon is:

5 glass catfish
7 harlequin rasboras
1 long-fin albino BN
1 male swordtail
1 glofish
3 otos

It feels understocked right now because the glass cats, rasboras, and BN are all juvenilles. The tank is well-established, just with some relatively new fish.

We're wondering if this stocking will fill up a 30 tall. Will we have room to add anything else?

More details, if they make a difference in this: Filter on the 30 will probably be an AquaTech 30-60, if not two, as we already have them laying around, and it'll be planted with Eco-complete capped potting soil.

IMO I think you should up the numbers of the swords, and the glofish. They will stick together and make a nice effect. Maybe also try two or 4 cory. They are one that like to snuggle together! You can also add some nerita snails. They don't breed in FW. They will lay some white eggs but they aren't fertilized and will fall off or you can pick them off.

As far as filters, I run an Aquaclear 50. After about 2 months I threw out the carbon, it looses it's effect after a while, and put in some poly floss, Purigen and the ceramic rings. I can't believe how different the tank is! My number stay where they should be, and it is crystal clear. Can't help you the capped potting soil, I have gravel. I run anything from neons to rams in my tank. Good luck and as I said - IMO!

Since my original post we decided that if we add more stock, we're going to make it a priority to add more otos and rasboras, then explore other options from there. I was under the impression that swordtails do best on their own, and we're pretty tired of the artificial-looking glofish, to be honest. We just aren't sure how full our stocking already is.

I think you will enjoy the otos, and are you glofish danios? Pretty good rule of thought on stocking is count the inches of the fish, and once you reach 30, thats it! Take a look at red fin otos, they are cute, small, stick together most of the time, only get about an inch long, black with a white strip. Your tank (20g) with your current inch load is about at its limit. So you have about another ten inches to go. I wish you luck!

That inch rule isn't all that accurate, though. For example, 4" glass catfish is MUCH different than a 4" BN in terms of bioload. It may be good as a jumping off point, but I would never consider stocking on that rule alone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom