30g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the majority of the BB lives in the filter media, in the substrate, and on decor, the media needs to be in contact with whatever you want to colonize. Trickling/bubbling air through your media will help the de-nitrifying bacteria multiply as they are aerobic.

The only thing is the BB will multiply faster in an area that has water movement. Plus if it's different from the substate in the tank it can look really weird mixing it in.

Well i have two options to pick from a established 10g beta tank that has been up for over a year now and a 55g gold fish tank that has been up for a few years does it matter which one i get it from or will one benefit me more then the other

You actually take some filter media out of one of your established filters and put it into your new filter or use a media bag with gravel and put that into your new filter.

Having problems with this cycle again i dosed to ammonia 4ppm about 6 days ago and the ammonia droped to zero in about 20-22 hours and nitrites spike as expected and now 6 days later nitrites have not changed once and remain at 5ppm ... This has happened 3 times already and everytime i do a big water change and wait a day and then redose and then a week later same thing again so idk whats goin on

The nitrite cycle takes the longest so just keep going it will eventually cycle through.

Well after talking with some friends i might be able to get some seeded filter pads from an established tank that actually go to my filter if so wouldnt this instantly cycle my tank ? If so could i get fish right away or should i put the pads in there for a few days and let it run for a bit

I always have piggyback pads (2) in the HOB filters, I have filter pad pieces in my extra tank with a few fish for the ammonia and so I can always be ready for a new tank!!!!! lol

I also have two types of media, round ceramic "O"'s in a pantyhose bag hanging in the back of the tank, and last week added a box of stars which mostly ended up floating in the water when I knocked them out of their housing catching 130 guppies, lots of babies...

They will go into my big canister filter this week! Most of it has been in there for 3-5 months

Last edited:
Adding seeded media won't instantly cycle the tank, it should hasten the nitrite cycle for you tho. Add it and finish your fishless cycle but keep monitoring your readings as they should speed up if you add enough seeded media.

That should really speed your cycle then. Leave them in a couple days and dose your ammonia how you've been dosing then the next day see where your levels are. You might be able to get the first fish pretty quickly.

Be sure to keep them wet during the time they are taken out of the established filter and put into your tank.

Well i got hooked up today instead of just giving me the filter pads i was given the whole filter with the pads off the established tank and have hooked the filter to my tank ... So now my question is does this instantly cycle my tank because ive heard people on here say that it does

The only way to know for sure is test your water. But I'd dose ammonia once more to see how quickly it cycles through the ammonia-nitrite just to be sure.

Agree with Rivercats, you won't know you are cycled until you test your ammonia and nitrites to see if they zero out.

Back
Top Bottom