36g Rescape to a Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh! Forgot to give parameters...

Ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 5ppm
GH >400ppm (24*)
KH 125ppm (7*)
pH 7.8
Copper 0ppm

I also put the Fluval CO2 indicator in the tank. Not surprisingly, the liquid is blue... for now ?

Since we do have liquid rock for water, I'll probably start mixing distilled and county water to help lower the GH.

I was thinking of starting with 1g of distilled during my next water change just to see if it has any effect at all. I'll probably have to dial it in from there... I don't want to invest in an RO unit just yet, but may have to if the distilled water route becomes cumbersome.

Should I use a buffer on the distilled water? Or will the county water compensate for trace minerals?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Going to get my 5# CO2 tank tomorrow!!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

Congrats! I have liquid rock water here in AZ too. But I don't mess with it for most of my planted tanks. No issues, even the preferred soft water species adapted to it. I only use RO in my shrimp nano tank to keep the TDS down.

Finally got my CO2 tank. Brand spanking new and all mine. No exchange necessary, so I get to keep the shiny one!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424361288.178768.jpg

Today and tomorrow? Tinker-time!

? Diana Lee ?

What size? 20?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The color will change depending on the BPS, current, lights on/off, amount of plants, amount of surface agitation, astrological sign, etc. Well, maybe not the last one.
What is the bps set at? Is there a check valve in the bubble counter?
I'm thinking you should get a years worth of CO2 between refills.
Whatever you do, always monitor the effects (bps) of any change. Make small changes. In other words, don't make a change and take off for the day unless you know the changes are stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The color will change depending on the BPS, current, lights on/off, amount of plants, amount of surface agitation, astrological sign, etc. Well, maybe not the last one.
What is the bps set at? Is there a check valve in the bubble counter?
I'm thinking you should get a years worth of CO2 between refills.
Whatever you do, always monitor the effects (bps) of any change. Make small changes. In other words, don't make a change and take off for the day unless you know the changes are stable.

There is a check valve on the bubble counter. May add another one inline, too. Right now I'm just under 2bps (115 bpm)

I was off all day today and will be off tomorrow. The timer is set to turn off the CO2 when the lights go off, and then the airstones come on...

What bps are you running?

? Diana Lee ?

https://www.facebook.com/FloridaOrchidEndlers

I initially was running 1-2 bps then to 3 bps. When I added the second light I bumped it up to around 5 bps. Honestly, it is difficult to quantitate it at that rate. Unfortunately I just noticed that the tank psi is zero :( That's the thing about these regulators...when the psi drops, it seems to do it overnight. In the past I've found that even "empty" there is still a bit of CO2 left. I'll prolly refill the tank tomorrow or the next day.

Oh, and DeeLee2013, do you remember my member introduction where you wrote 'warm welcome from sunny Florida'? Well, this is off topic but I'm jealous of you because it's so cold here in michigan. Ugh, school has been called off for like, a week, because it's been like, -25*F here. Glad your tank is looking nice too.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Hey I know that color very well! Mine always looks like that even right after the lights turn on

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So, here's the color of my indicator.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424466594.606584.jpg

What does everyone think? Is it "green" enough?

I ordered a 2nd indicator to put on the other side of the tank, just so I have a bit more to go off.

? Diana Lee ?

Oh, and DeeLee2013, do you remember my member introduction where you wrote 'warm welcome from sunny Florida'? Well, this is off topic but I'm jealous of you because it's so cold here in michigan. Ugh, school has been called off for like, a week, because it's been like, -25*F here. Glad your tank is looking nice too.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Lol, and here I am complaining that it went down to 40F! I'm shivering enough in our version of cold; can't imagine your frozen tundra!

And thanks for the compliment!

? Diana Lee ?

Fifty shades of green. It looks more blue than green.
Here's side by side of mine yesterday when I was pushing +5 bps on the left compared with today at 2.3 bps on the right. The diffuser is below the HOB output (not input). Obviously not effective at that rate.
XvmJehF.png

That's what mine looks like in my 5.5.. i run almost 2 bps in there.. once your plants start releasing bubbles 3/4 of the way through your lighting cycle?? You've got the co2 pretty ok.. there's always room for adjustment along the way. I'd up the bps to 5 over the next 2 weeks.. gas should come on an hour before lights and go off am hour before lights do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool. Thanks for the color theory, lol.

My CO2 comes on about the same time as the lights and goes off the same time, too. When the lights/CO2 turn off, the airstones come on.

? Diana Lee ?

Back
Top Bottom