40B stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update time
Well I left for work on Monday and the cons were doing the usual. Rounding up the fry that swam too far from the group. At this point I was still trying to find some one to take the pair.
Well I came home Monday night to most of the fry gone and the female torn to shreds. I'm assuming the male did it because the only other fish are 5 Buenos aires tetras. As of today there are no fry to be found. I'm taking the male to the local pet shop this week end.
So at this point again I'm just not sure where to go with this tank. The Idea of breeding has well worn off as a planted tank has also. I'm able to upgrade to a 75 when needed but that's the max. I also keep tossing around doing another Lyonsi or possibly a few uaru and severums but I think a 75 might not be enough for uaru's
So once again toss any Ideas out there that you might have.

Just put a Betta in it lol

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you feel about African cichlids? 40 would be a little tight, but if you can upgrade to a 75 it wouldn't be to bad.

Red eared slider:p dude.. apistos!!!! A 40 b could house a decent troop.. they're not big fish but they make moves like Chris farley!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This pike freakgecko has is sparking my interest

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's a little jerk, but is full of personality

He hates his arch nemesis, the tiny red dot of fury lol he attacks laser pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He's a little jerk, but is full of personality

He hates his arch nemesis, the tiny red dot of fury lol he attacks laser pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Regani and notopthalmus are the way to go with pikes, but stay away from compressiceps.

Edit: Ted Judy has some sweet crenicichla proteus for sale.

How are these as far as tank mates go. If I kept the male con would that be a problem or will they stand up for them selves?

How are these as far as tank mates go. If I kept the male con would that be a problem or will they stand up for them selves?

They are usually ok with anything they can't fit in their mouth, but I'm not really sure how they would do with a con. I added a link to my last post BTW.

They are usually ok with anything they can't fit in their mouth, but I'm not really sure how they would do with a con. I added a link to my last post BTW.

Thanks Gillie! Are they ok as a loner?

I don't see why not, but they would definitely make a neat breeding project.

Pikes, from what I've read (these aren't a fish I've had personal experience with) usually try to kill other Pikes as well as any other fish that are smaller, even if they cant eat it. However, I've seen them be kept with fish smaller then them with my own 7 eyeballs, so i know that they are able to live with critters of a lesser size. As for breeding, it wouldn't be a looker tank. Its recommended to have 4 different tubes of PVC pipe per Pike when trying to breed, as they kill each other frequently. People usually get a larger group(6-8) of them, and put in a 75 with about 50 4-5 inch sections of PVC and let them pair and do what they do, with deaths anticipated. They, as far as i know, aren't they worst with plants. They are very predatory and very aggressive, in most circumstances.

I think they are really cool fish and it would indeed be a fun breeding project, but usually the tanks aren't too beautiful. Im sure you could do rock formations and stuff, but that might be expensive.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Dwarf pikes are a bit different from their larger cousins, I kept a pair of notopthalmus in a 40b with deep bodied tetras and some cories with no problems.

Dwarf pikes are a bit different from their larger cousins, I kept a pair of notopthalmus in a 40b with deep bodied tetras and some cories with no problems.

Again, this is what I've read and viewed through the eyes of others. But it all was about the dwarf or semi-dwarf Pikes, not the bigger types. I cant verify it all, but it seems to be such a common theme that i cant help but think you might've been a bit lucky.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Again, this is what I've read and viewed through the eyes of others. But it all was about the dwarf or semi-dwarf Pikes, not the bigger types. I cant verify it all, but it seems to be such a common theme that i cant help but think you might've been a bit lucky.

Nah, it's not luck at all. If you realize that they are cichlids, predatory cichlids and plan accordingly, you shouldn't have any problems. The only dwarf species that I had issues with was compressiceps and that was only because those fish are unusually conspecific aggressive, even for cichlids and they like to kill each other.

Nah, it's not luck at all. If you realize that they are cichlids, predatory cichlids and plan accordingly, you shouldn't have any problems. The only dwarf species that I had issues with was compressiceps and that was only because those fish are unusually conspecific aggressive, even for cichlids and they like to kill each other.

I dont think it wasnt due 100% to your abilities, and i dont mean offense. If you were to keep this setup 50 times over, with the exact same thing but only different Pikes, i would guess that it would always go so well.

Again, i don't mean to discredit your abilities in any way. Just think you might have gotten some of the more peaceful ones. But i could be wrong, I'm basing this off of the averages of hours or research on Dwaf Pike Cichlids of various species.

I dont think it wasnt due 100% to your abilities, and i dont mean offense. If you were to keep this setup 50 times over, with the exact same thing but only different Pikes, i would guess that it would always go so well.

Again, i don't mean to discredit your abilities in any way. Just think you might have gotten some of the more peaceful ones. But i could be wrong, I'm basing this off of the averages of hours or research on Dwaf Pike Cichlids of various species.

I was big into dwarf pikes at one time so I have kept all species available to me and yes only 1 species gave me problems. You may be speaking from however many hours of research, but I'm speaking from years of experience keeping them.

I was big into dwarf pikes at one time so I have kept all species available to me and yes only 1 species gave me problems. You may be speaking from however many hours of research, but I'm speaking from years of experience keeping them.

Ok, i can believe you. Its just what I've learned through the eyes of other people, not just species profiles saying they are aggressive just cause they are a Cichlid.

And when i say hours... I mean, lots and lots of hours. Just on Pikes...

And also, i didn't know you kept them for so long :) That just helps me validate your opinion over others.

Ok, i can believe you. Its just what I've learned through the eyes of other people, not just species profiles saying they are aggressive just cause they are a Cichlid.

And when i say hours... I mean, lots and lots of hours. Just on Pikes...

And also, i didn't know you kept them for so long :) That just helps me validate your opinion over others.

Yeah I was into pikes almost as much as I am with apistos, but unfortunately their popularity took a dive and even the common species can be hard to get.

Ok The male con as been rehomed and I just did a large water change.
I just have 5 Hyphessobrycon anisitsi in the tank now and am heading to the one store around here that gets some rare fish in. The same one that I got the Lyonsi at. Updates to follow.

Back
Top Bottom