45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have an 85g marine tank, but I also have a 45g tank lying on the floor doing nothing, I was thinking of setting up a marine aggresive only tank however, thinking about it, it would cost a fair bit to do, money which would be better spent on my 85 tank, I have kept freshwater for years and have 2 canister filters sitting outside which I used on the 85 when it was freshwater, I also have countless fluorescent tubes.

as far as I can tell all I would need to buy would be the following;

- a couple of fluorescent tube starters
- heater (200w?) ... I have a quality 50w heater I can use as backup.
- gravel

is there anything else I would need?
I already have test kits, thermometers, 2 canister filters,

also have a couple of questions;

1. what filter media can be used in canisters that wont need changing, far too akward, would ceramic rings work ... or rock rubble?

2. I always used to use dechlorinated tap water for freshwater fish, since setting up my marine tank i've been using R.O water, would this be better to use than tap water for freshwater?

am I forgetting anything and what would work for stocking? I like angelfish.

any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks.

1. Ceramic rings would be just fine.

2. You don't want to use strictly RO water in a fw tank, unless you add buffers to it. Treated tap water is much much better.

Angelfish would be fine for a 45 gallon tank.

Make sure you rinse the canisters well, even all the tubes and inside parts. They are sure to have salt residue on them. You will also want to take out any of the media you used on the sw tank.

Back
Top Bottom