45 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a new tank (45gal) and was thinking about migrating over to the cichlid side of things. Truthfully I'm a novice when it comes to cichlids, only ever owned convicts. But I would like to try some new, possibly African cichlids MAYBE even a variety of species. What would you recommend?

Dwarf Mbuna could work nicely in a 45G (May be a bit of a squeeze).

Obviously with Cichlids you will need to overstock massively. I'm using the rule;
number of gallons / 2 = number of fish to keep

With this overstocking you will need to buff up your filtration also.
I'd say having 5x turnover per hour is sufficient.

Now, fish.
There are many dwarf Mbuna you can choose from, and they won't exceed 4 inches for the most part.

Some choices are;

Demasoni - Regarded as one of the most aggressive Cichlids out there.
Saulosi - Very good looking fish, males are blue with black bars and females are yellow.
Jalo Reef's - Males are black and white with a yellow dorsal fin, females are grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've always had fun with shelldwellers. Especially brevis.

They are very overlooked and under appreciated in the hobby so you should consider them. They are very nice fish to keep and have good habits. :)

I'll research them all! Note why would you over stock with a cichlid tank,jw I'm new to them

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The thing about cichlids (this usually doesn't include most shelldwellers) is that they can be aggressive. The thought is if you overstock, it reduces aggression. BUT they aren't aggressive fish. They are territorial. Provide good space and lightly stock and you will be good to go.

This forum thread will help you decide.

I personally would under stock and use a lot of rock work and raise them from babies.

Understocking is also healthier for the fish. Just create a lot of rock work and territory for them to claim and they will be okay. :)

Overstocking 2 gallons per fish isn't a good idea as a lot of Africans grow pretty big (4 to 5 inches). And the water quality would tank...

And remember! Cichlids aren't aggressive. They are territorial. Provide adequate territory and space, lightly stock, and feed evenly and they won't fight.

Yeah I heard the whole overstocking thing, it confuses me

Lightly stock and create territory is the way I would go. Maintenance is easier in lightly stocked tanks.

What would be some good Africans then, in your opinion

1. Brevis shelldwellers (you can probably tell how biased i am based on me recommending them in both your threads LOL)
2. Dwarf mbunas (stay away from the larger ones which are rather territorial compared to peacocks)
3. Peacocks (very solid beginner cichlid)

Remember to use Aragonite Sand.

Also, aqadvisor.com can be useful when stocking to see if they are compatible.

Provide a lot of real estate. :)

Keep it coming with questions if you want to know more!

- Raymond

Ok,I found one called a yellow lab interesting,(thinking a lake Malawi tank myself)

Nevermore I found the Tanganyika cichlids more intriguing lol

O, why is that? So Malawi would be more suggested?

Tanganyika's can be rather territorial (and aggressive which can become a problem later on) compared to Malawi's. A majority of Malawi's are also easier to care for. :)

And yes I would go for Malawi's as your first cichlid tank. :)

Like I said I like the yellow lab, flavescent peacock, robin red peacock, and mainago. I know this won't work but it's just a flow of ideas

Apistogramma all the way!! Just google Apistogramma, you'll know instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

O they are beautiful, but are they African

Back
Top Bottom