46 gallon HELP. please :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MossyOakMama

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need some input for a 46 gallon bow front

Tank has been up and running for a month. Pulled readings
7.6 low ph
8.0 high ph
1.0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
0 ppm nitrate

This a freshwater.

I put 4 danios in, well only one is living and I moved him out to an established 10 gallon.

Can you? Yes, but if they died of a disease it's not recommended. They decomposing bodies will produce ammonia. It's essentially it's the same as cycling with raw prawns.

Mummas right. It looks like ur tank is still cycleing. I have a 46g bow front also. Nice tank!

Mumma.of.two said:
Can you? Yes, but if they died of a disease it's not recommended. They decomposing bodies will produce ammonia. It's essentially it's the same as cycling with raw prawns.

Wow you learn something new everyday! Thanks! Good luck with the cycle mossyoak keep us posted :)

Fish less cycle. Running close to 4 weeks now. Here r the readings as of earlier today
7.6 - low ph
8.0 - high oh
1.0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
0 ppm nitrates
Done with API tube tester.

I had 3 plants n there. But.... They died. Thought it was close to being thru with cycle bought 4 danios only have one living now.
Any thoughts r help would b greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• image-1420219835.jpg
    image-1420219835.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1847966970.jpg
    image-1847966970.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-490228497.jpg
    image-490228497.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 51
okay in this situation since you are going for 4 weeks I would recommend using an ammonia reducer, I would only say this because it seems that your cycle is complete you trites and trates are at 0 so H2O quality isn't the main issue it is the ammonia, also when you bring you fish home bring one or two at max, do not bring more than that because their system is sensitive to very small changes, also maybe do a water change before you put your new mates in there this helps bringing the ammonia down, if after all of this your ammonia is still high what you can do is the last resort. do a 50% h2O change and get a HOB or Canister filter, and one of your media can be an ammonia reducer this will help tremendously I have had problems in my tanks before and a lot of the solution is just using a external they are just much better at keeping parameter at level and helping with the overall trates and trites problem, if you have questions feel free to contact me to my inbox, I have 3 FW and 2 SW so I know pitfalls.

I took the last one out and put it in my 10gal established aquarium. There is one in there that I can't find. What fish is hardly enough to stand the tank at its readings now? Should I do a wc?

Thread merged. Let's try and keep all questions on the one thread.
Short answer. None. Ammonia of 1ppm is toxic to any fish.
What you need to decide is if you're going to continue a fish in cycle or do a fishless. Fish in require daily water changes to reduce ammonia and nitrite. Fishless requires dosing of bottled ammonia. The article I linked explains both.

Okay. I have read the info. I didn't use ammonia... I just added tap water with the tap conditioner. I have never used ammonia. I set up my 10 gallon without using ammonia. It is established now. I will post pic of it. It's doing great. Just waiting for 46 gallon to finish cycling to transfer fish slowly. :/

Here's my 10 gallon.

Attachments

• image-2856709976.jpg
    image-2856709976.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image-457504814.jpg
    image-457504814.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image-2712573266.jpg
    image-2712573266.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 43
Fish less cycle. I hate the poor fish dying. :( so now what? Newbie to a big aquarium. Need to know what all I do with ammonia. Take carbon filters out?? Etc...

Ok without an ammonia source the bacteria you are trying to establish do not have a food source. No food = no bacteria. When you added the danios they produced ammonia which is why you are getting 1ppm now. If you have an established tank and filter you can transfer all filter media and the fish to the new tank. You will need to do a massive water change to remove the ammonia first. It's a good idea to keep the old substrate and hang it in the new tank for a few weeks to help seed it with bacteria. Test your water daily and if you see any ammonia or nitrite do a water change to remove it. Eventually the bacteria colony will grow to colonize the tank and new filter eliminating the need for daily water changes.

MossyOakMama said:
Fish less cycle. I hate the poor fish dying. :( so now what? Newbie to a big aquarium. Need to know what all I do with ammonia. Take carbon filters out?? Etc...

Fish in cycles can be done humanely. It takes daily testing and water changes to keep the ammonia in check. The bigger the tank and the fewer the fish the longer it takes for the ammonia to reach detectable levels.

Mumma thanks. Big question. Can I do the ammonia and take daily readings? The plants that I put in the 46 died. I hate to lose all plants. Would the ammonia b the best? That way it could start my colonies... My 10 gallon ( my daughter has laid claim too.) lol. I am leaving a few fish in it for her.

MossyOakMama said:
Mumma thanks. Big question. Can I do the ammonia and take daily readings? The plants that I put in the 46 died. I hate to lose all plants. Would the ammonia b the best? That way it could start my colonies... My 10 gallon ( my daughter has laid claim too.) lol. I am leaving a few fish in it for her.

Yes. If you dose ammonia and do daily readings that will be a fishless cycle. You can borrow some media and substrate from the 10g to help seed the new tank and cycle it faster. You can't add fish at this time. The environment will be too toxic. Aquatic plants utilize ammonia as a food source so that won't kill them. I'd say they died from something else like poor lighting or they weren't aquatic plants.
As for what kind of ammonia, I can't really help with a brand name. Can't buy it where I am. you need one without detergents or fragrances.

Ok. I have those really small leaf plants, a little green ball looking fake plant, and a medium
Size thing. Take those and put into my 46? How bout the rock(substrate) how much?? Will this put my fish in shock by not having nothing to hid in??

The plants I had was water wisteria and a sword leaf. Not sure. But I have 3 pieces of living plant in 10 gallon that I can put in 46. I am going to look for more live plants tomorrow. Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom