46 gallon tall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya that was my goal to get as much in there without over packing and wanted some nice caves and this rock has so many holes in it, it makes for great homes for everybody i just cant wait till i start filling with corals.

question for u carey or any others. i was thinking on a anemone for my clowns but wondering if my lighting would be good enough? my current setup is a 4 bulb 39w each bulb.

You know there's no absolute guarantee that they will host right? I had one and it was more trouble than it was worth lol

What kind of light is it? Does it have individual reflectors? And what bulbs ya got? If it's a quality setup I don't see why not..

im not sure what kinda bulbs there are but it is a odssea fixture and no individual reflectors :( but it is quite bright

also i do understand there is 50/50 chance that they will host. what are the type of troubles u have dealt with

paulweck said:
question for u carey or any others. i was thinking on a anemone for my clowns but wondering if my lighting would be good enough? my current setup is a 4 bulb 39w each bulb.

I don't think your lights are enough to maintain an anemone,best with MH's.Also to even have a shot your tank needs to be running and stable for at least a year.I agree with Carey,the worry of keeping one alive and it not nuking your tank when it dies is just not worth it,plus if your clowns end up hosting they will just stay with it all the time.
Most people will say I have one,had it a few months,very few will say I've had one for a year or more.

I know people who have anemones that split about once a year. The make sure they keep their light bulbs changed and feed them twice a week. I also know people that got an anemone and with in a week it went for a walk into their powerhead. I have several different types I have 3 maxi mini, a rock and a bubble tip, I got the bubble tip so my clown wouldn't kill the coral that it decided to host. I have also doubled my water changes from one a week to twice a week in the tank with the bubble tip. I also change my bulbs every 6 months instead of every 12.

Ya after much thought I've decided not to get a anemone. I wasn't planning on getting one anytime soon anyway just was doing reseach.

How about a real flowy coral? I have a pretty large torch coral that looks exactly like a nem but only better. ;-)

I have an anemone 2 clowns hosted it, only had tank up a few months, Lfs talked me into buying it with the clowns before I knew better ( I know I should have researched before buying, but I did not) had it almost a month now and seems to be doing well as far as I can tell. Anyway WHAT DO YOU MEAN NUKE my tank, almost just threw anemone out in yard!
Just kidding but really should I take him back to Lfs?

If the nem doesn't fair well, and dies it will melt and release some very nasty toxins that can harm other tank inhabitants.

yes it is thanks for the comment. i have some more updated photos ill upload later when i get a chance

I'll be in your neighborhood on Monday. Can take some pics and video, if you want - most likely just after 1 PM.

Send me PM if interested to coordinate. :) And I'll bring the gear.

Give me a call or shoot me a text this weekend Larry...

Here are a few updated pics of my tank.

My one question I have on my mind is my refugium its got allot of different kinds of algae growing in it should I just leave it and my chaeto is turning red is that ok?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111021_010204.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010204.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20111021_010219.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010219.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20111021_010234.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010234.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 158
  • ForumRunner_20111021_010304.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010304.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20111021_010329.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010329.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20111021_010409.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111021_010409.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 89
Do any of u guys think I should clean out my fuge like every six months or sooner or never? It's been like a month and its starting.g to full up

Edit: what about my chaeto should it be turning red like that?

Wanting to see the answers myself. Just about finished building my DIY HOB Overflow. If it works the way I hope it will, the fuge and sump will be next.

Back
Top Bottom