5-10 gallon shrimp stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure, I understand, maybe a chiller would help, if they make them for nano size tanks. I don't know anything about them as mostly used on saltwater, and I have no experience there!

Sometimes it just gets hot and that isn't the kind of boiled shrimp you want!!!

haha yeah, so I'm dedicating this week to experimenting on temperatures

yesterday wasn't so hot, I opened the lid while turning the lights on sideways, when I went home it went down to 26, and this morning it went as far as 25, all of this with no heater on. So at least I know they can go down, the next step is to try the temp I should put the heater on :)

I certainly hope the plants will survive during these times... I put in the seachem seabed supplements in last night... the anubias and amubilas seem healthy enough for now, it's the crypt I'm a bit worried about... do they need any extra care?

haha yeah, so I'm dedicating this week to experimenting on temperatures

yesterday wasn't so hot, I opened the lid while turning the lights on sideways, when I went home it went down to 26, and this morning it went as far as 25, all of this with no heater on. So at least I know they can go down, the next step is to try the temp I should put the heater on :)

I certainly hope the plants will survive during these times... I put in the seachem seabed supplements in last night... the anubias and amubilas seem healthy enough for now, it's the crypt I'm a bit worried about... do they need any extra care?

Do you know what kind of Crypt you have?

I have some brown Crypts, all came from one plant and they seem tough as nails. I have a C. Parva which barely survives, and a C. crispatula var. Balansae which is newer but is growing and seems happy, and a C. Wendtii Green which seems like it is doing alright too. The Brown and green lived through heat/salt treatment for Ick with the temp up to 88 for about 5-6 weeks.

Seriously I would just look up what kinds of plants go well with Discus fish as they have higher temp tanks, to be on the safe side, the heat destroyed my Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata, and totally stressed all my Swords and Tiger Lily plants but they are all recovering. My Marimo moss balls did ok.

no I don't, the lfs just label them as crypts -_-

this is what they said about crypts - 'We have not noticed any problems with crypts in soft, warmer water.' - so it may well be just bad batch... it looks like the plants I have generally could handle discus temperature, so it should be good (or bad, now that I know it's not exactly the heat that's killing them...). patience I guess

today the temp stayed at 27...

If your light is a screw in Incandescent, swap it for a mini CFL. I use 6,500K 10 watts for my 5.5g
That will be much cooler.
Also, put light on a timer. Turn light OFF during hottest part of day.

I run mine 4 hours in the morning
Off
4 hours in the evening.

My Betta slaughtered Shimp. Ghost Shrimp were ok. RCS were dinner.

I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the timing. I will have a look at the light tonight.

the heatwaves have stopped and I now have the water temp steady between 24-27(had to put the heater on 23).

does anyone have any suggestion on the best filter media for my tank? I'm getting confused with the information on the internet and now even start thinking that I don't need the filtration / the filter is actually detrimental to my plants' growth! I'm happy to ditch it cos it takes a bit of space and I imagine everytime I had to change the media I'm going to mess up the plants position and rooting :/ but can I get away without it? If so what extra steps should I do? more frequent water change?

I use HOB as well as Canister filtration on my tanks. The water movement helps distribute Ferts and nutrients. Stagnant is bad for most planted tanks.

Why would you need to move plants to work on filter ??

I leave my filter cartridge alone till it falls apart. I rinse in tank water as needed to increase flow.
I rinse the sponge over the intake weekly usually.

My canister I clear off the intake. And service as needed.

it's not that I need to move them, but I can't help but mess them because if you had a look at the pics I posted a few days ago, the filter is the type that sits at the bottom of the tank. the only way to change the medium inside that cartridge is to lift it up, and given the size of the filter and the size of the tank I'm bound to accidentally touched the plants/driftwood or at the very least the gravel would slide down to that area -_-

there's another filter that it went through before the water is pushed back to the tank (I'm guessing this is the one you meant by over the intake?), that one is easily changed. would sponge be the best media for that one? I bought carbon and put them on for 2-3 days until I read they're not a good filter media especially for planted. I've taken them out now.

it's not that I need to move them, but I can't help but mess them because if you had a look at the pics I posted a few days ago, the filter is the type that sits at the bottom of the tank. the only way to change the medium inside that cartridge is to lift it up, and given the size of the filter and the size of the tank I'm bound to accidentally touched the plants/driftwood or at the very least the gravel would slide down to that area -_-

there's another filter that it went through before the water is pushed back to the tank (I'm guessing this is the one you meant by over the intake?), that one is easily changed. would sponge be the best media for that one? I bought carbon and put them on for 2-3 days until I read they're not a good filter media especially for planted. I've taken them out now.

That is an odd looking filter. Like a tiny Undergravel. Consider buying a new or used HOB filter. Like an AquaClear 20.

I'll take a look when a good deal is on, but from what I gather right now it's not that urgent so I can take my time on it right? I don't like how my bank account looks for the past week :/

on another note, just did a water change and at the moment it's looking like there's only reading of ammonia, no nitrites or nitrates... is that normal for the first week?

I'll take a look when a good deal is on, but from what I gather right now it's not that urgent so I can take my time on it right? I don't like how my bank account looks for the past week :/

on another note, just did a water change and at the moment it's looking like there's only reading of ammonia, no nitrites or nitrates... is that normal for the first week?

That's fine
And Yes :)

Thanks :) having said that, after a few hours of water change the ph always sink to 6.0 or below... I know ph swings are expected during a cycle but I don't think it was supposed to go down that far? the tap water ph is 7.0... if it's ok then can you suggest a routine that I can do to keep the cycle going?

A big thanks for slowly walking me through it, really appreciated :) beginning to feel that 5 gallon planted aquarium to start the hobby is like starting out with hard difficulty -_-

Thanks :) having said that, after a few hours of water change the ph always sink to 6.0 or below... I know ph swings are expected during a cycle but I don't think it was supposed to go down that far? the tap water ph is 7.0... if it's ok then can you suggest a routine that I can do to keep the cycle going?

A big thanks for slowly walking me through it, really appreciated :) beginning to feel that 5 gallon planted aquarium to start the hobby is like starting out with hard difficulty -_-

Wow - just a few hours? That's pretty quick. Looks like your tap water doesn't have too many buffers in it. Cycles can go slower when your pH is that low, you may want to consider using aragonite or crushed coral to raise pH a bit.

yeah sounds about right, our water doesn't really have much of a hardness. I'll try to get crushed corals. most lfs should have them, yea? how much should I put in a 5 gallon, and what's the routine? daily water change or weekly should be fine?

well, I actually bought the Aquaclear 20 now.. *can't resist* :)

the water is now clearer, and the plants seem growing (crypts looks like it's just surviving, but the anubias seems flourishing), while there are diatoms in some places... I heard they just go away as time goes by. And there seems to be what looks like a stringy brown algae in one of the crypts... it could be part of the dead ambulia leaves though... anyway I won't do anything rash / worry too much about algaes until my tank is cycled. I'm going to bring a sample of the water to my lfs this sunday to double check the water parameter. i suspect it should be at least another 2 weeks before it's ready for the shrimps and fishes. I'll try to post some pics tonight if I have the time.

so my lfs said that my water looks fine... so I bought 5 red cherry shrimp :p that was yesterday(he actually threw in 6). One seems to die though I can't see any corpses... the rest of the 5 are still alive, and seem to be doing fine running around the tank, hanging on the crypts or ambulias, being pretty red :)

I guess my journey has begun! hope everything goes okay! some pics as promised.

Attachments

• IMG_4514.JPG
    IMG_4514.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4518.JPG
    IMG_4518.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 46
update:

the tank is actually 5g... so back to the drawing board, 10 shrimps and 6 neons to start would be fine you reckon? wife likes neons over the guppies, and probably with a tank that small schooling fish is better

I have a 14 litre aquamanta (pet barn) tank full of RCS. They are prolific breeders. Alot of people say that they dont create much waste, but mine seem to poop alot. i only feed them every couple of weeks, and a very small amount, but the tank is always messy.

The hardest thing i found was trying to clean the gravel without sucking any up. i invested in one of the smallest siphon type vacuums i could find and go carefully.

I originally had the RCS in with a few white clouds in a 55 litre, and one day found one of the shrimp hanging out of the mouth of one of the fat female white clouds, i freaked out and immediately decided that they should be separated. I think any fish with shrimp will have a go if they are hungry. But if you keep your fish well fed, then they shouldn't try for a shrimpy dessert. :whistle:

All that said, RCS are awesome shrimp, i love them, fascinating to watch, and the babies are really cool. I think 10 is heaps to start with, but if they have a price break at 20 go for it. They really do breed quickly and totally unassisted. You will love 'em.

side note - im from the gold coast, and i really dont think we have a petco equivalent here in oz, wish we did though, sounds awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom