5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I should get cories. They might mess up the carpet of dwarf baby tears. I will most likely get chilis. I just need to know what you guys think: If I have a carpet of dwarf baby tears and a tree of java moss for shrimp to hide in, will the shrimp and shrimplets be safe from a scarlet badis?
Scarlet badis will eat shrimplets. They love live food.

I have decided what to get. I am not going to tell anyone yet until I get them because I want it to be a surprise. :)

LOL! The fish(es) is(are) coming next week. Stay tuned... To be continued. LOL I can't spoil the surprise!

Following, since I've decided to create a 5g planted tank myself. ;)

Bye bye, tannins! :) Hello clear water.

From what I've read, chilli rasboras like softer water with tannins in it. It might not hurt to just let the driftwood leech into the tank and just let water changes keep the level of tannins down.

I keep chilis in only moderately soft water with no tannins. They are active and healthy. They seem to be a very hardy species so long as the water is kept pristine.

fort384 said:
CO2 levels are lookin' a little low there max... ;)

Yeah, that is because that pic was in the night time, after I did the big water change. The timer had already turned the light off. I turned the light on manually to get that picture. I wasn't gonna dose a bunch of co2 just for the lights being on for two minutes, and then have it go to waste.

James_in_MN said:
Following, since I've decided to create a 5g planted tank myself. ;)

From what I've read, chilli rasboras like softer water with tannins in it. It might not hurt to just let the driftwood leech into the tank and just let water changes keep the level of tannins down.

:) I haven't been doing water changes because the nerite snail's bioload causes some nitrate, and I want the plants to have nitrate too.

Discusapisto said:
I had that diffuser before it works ok but you deff need pressurized co2 to even get it to diffuse properly.

I have pressurized, so it will be good

fort384 said:
I keep chilis in only moderately soft water with no tannins. They are active and healthy. They seem to be a very hardy species so long as the water is kept pristine.

My tap water ph is 8.4. I am going to need to lower it if I want chilis...

One cartridge lasts about a month. I like it but want to get a better diffuser for it.

I was looking for an option for my 5.5g tank, so if one of those tanks lasts a month, it looks like it would be $5 per month based on what I've found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G46QQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=AH7PBPHZ85HL3

That's a bit painful considering that I found 25 pack of 12g CO2 cylinders at Wal-Mart for $15. :ermm:

Any way to DIY a conversion kit for the Fluval system? The regulator would be nice and compact, but they clearly get you on the refills.

James_in_MN said:
I was looking for an option for my 5.5g tank, so if one of those tanks lasts a month, it looks like it would be $5 per month based on what I've found on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G46QQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=AH7PBPHZ85HL3

That's a bit painful considering that I found 25 pack of 12g CO2 cylinders at Wal-Mart for $15. :ermm:

Any way to DIY a conversion kit for the Fluval system? The regulator would be nice and compact, but they clearly get you on the refills.

Yeah I found a way to refill it. It's kind of hard to explain, so I will make a diagram soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom