5 gallon stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a 5 gallon tank from my dad that he had. I'm going to be running a aqueon 10 gallon filter in it, heater and a aqueon 5 gallon air pump. I have to get a hood for it as well.

I am thinking nano fish or a Betta. But I am thinking more towards the nano fish. I will have sand substrate and fake plants as this will be in my daughters room. I know cpd's and harlequin rasboras are nano varieties. Any others I should research? Bottom feeder types?

I also got an aqua clear 20 from him which will be placed in my ten gallon fry tank. My 55 will be running an aqueon 55 and an aqua clear filter once I decide on the one I want.

I think scarlet badis seem pretty cool. I really don't know about them, but I think they are cool looking and stay <1in. They might work in your 5g. I think that might be what I would get if I did a nano.

smallfry53 said:
I think scarlet badis seem pretty cool. I really don't know about them, but I think they are cool looking and stay <1in. They might work in your 5g. I think that might be what I would get if I did a nano.

Most nano fish prefer planted tanks with live plants. It gives them hiding places and helps keep small tanks balanced.

Nano Fish are sometimes very shy, so the more hiding spots the more secure they feel and the more you'll see them out :)

Also some floating plants help and I would not do Clown Puke gravel. Dark sand or gravel will keep them colored up best.

I love my Scarlet Badis. You might look into doing an easy planted shrimp tank with Cherry Shrimp and a Sc.Badis. some Badis only eat live food. Mine eats flake, frozen and new hatched Cherry Shrimp.

CPDs are a favorite. Similar tank set up.

image-2823430200.jpg

I have CPDs and Scarlet Badis and Shrimp in my 10g.

I love my scarlet badis, and a pair in a 5G with some celestial pearl danios would be my choice. Some nano fish are chili rasboras, boraras micros, celestial pearl danios, kilis, Pygmy sunfish, and endlers. That's all I can think of right now. When I think of more, I'll post again:)

Heh I would go all out if I could but I have a baby due in June so fundage is elsewhere. I'm thinking more of a fancier Betta now if I can get one from my lfs. The wife wants something she can manage while I'm at work. But I really like chili rasboras and rcs. Then PFS and miss balls with plants on the sides and a small bubble wall and black background.

Chronos313 said:
Heh I would go all out if I could but I have a baby due in June so fundage is elsewhere. I'm thinking more of a fancier Betta now if I can get one from my lfs. The wife wants something she can manage while I'm at work. But I really like chili rasboras and rcs. Then PFS and miss balls with plants on the sides and a small bubble wall and black background.

I understand aquariums on a budget.
I got my tank on sale as a kit for $15
Using mini CFLs for light bought via Amazon, Zoomed UltraSun 6,500K 10watt CFL
The sand was pricey, that was before I found Black Diamond Blasting Sand
I got most of my plants on The Planted Tank and later through my local club. Most were free. I only paid for a couple.
My Shrimp were from Craigslist.
My CPDs were my Club's group buy, $2ea

Chronos313 said:
So I just got a 5 gallon tank from my dad that he had. I'm going to be running a aqueon 10 gallon filter in it, heater and a aqueon 5 gallon air pump. I have to get a hood for it as well.

I am thinking nano fish or a Betta. But I am thinking more towards the nano fish. I will have sand substrate and fake plants as this will be in my daughters room. I know cpd's and harlequin rasboras are nano varieties. Any others I should research? Bottom feeder types?

I also got an aqua clear 20 from him which will be placed in my ten gallon fry tank. My 55 will be running an aqueon 55 and an aqua clear filter once I decide on the one I want.

Harlequins need a twenty or a long ten
They are very active

Chronos313 said:

You could have a scarlet badis as the centerpiece with a school (6-8) chili rasboras and some RCS in there.

Back
Top Bottom