5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*live rock

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They both work equally well, the pure ammonia is probably a little "cleaner". You already have some don't you? If so might as well use it.

Yeah I have some from the school tank. Just dose it up to 1 everyday until it clears in 24hrs?

I would dose it up to about 5-6 ppm and let that come down then you can test it with the 1 ppm and see if it clears in 24 hrs

Okay 6 down to 0. Then dose to 1 and see if it clears in 24hrs. How big of a water change should I do once it cycles before I add critters?

One of the nice things about a nano is it's easy to get nitrates down fast. You'll want to get your nitrates down to 5-10 ppm before adding any coral so it really depends on how high your nitrates climb. For example if your nitrates should climb to 100 ppm (easy number) if you do 2 75% changes your nitrates should be ~8 ppm, from 100 to 25 the first time and from 25 to 8 after the second, and it will only take about 15 gallons of water

Sounds great. Thanks. I think I'm going to rescape the tank tomorrow. Get a little more rock and then play the long waiting game.

Found out we have a specialty reef store in town! No idea how big it is, obviously not that big as I drive by it every time I go to church and just saw it this time. Anyway, I'm going to go look and see what they have for lights. What numbers am I supposed to look at to determine if one light is better then the other? I know it isn't watts because that would be too easy. :) and what value on said magic number should I look for? I want to do LED i love the way the tank looks with the current lights so I'd life to stay with that. Thanks guys.

You want to look for powerful individual LEDs, 3 watt LEDs (most are run at 2w, that's ok). What are you looking to keep coral wise? We can probably point you in the direction of some good options for you

The store had really expensive equipment. The light I currently have was double there. I already know I can grow softies with what I have so that will be good enough for now. Their coral selection was AMAZING though! I can't wait for my tank to cycle so I can get stuff.

On an different note here is what feels like the 600th layout of my tank. Thoughts? Sorry it's so cloudy.

Attachments

• 1395712424067.jpg
    1395712424067.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 89
Really like the rock layout, even gives a little negative space for fish (y)

Looks great, only thing I would change is maybe that pointy rock on top of the left island, the one under it looks liked it would give you a nice little shelf for some corals. Just my $.02, big fan of the islands look

Looks great, only thing I would change is maybe that pointy rock on top of the left island, the one under it looks liked it would give you a nice little shelf for some corals. Just my $.02, big fan of the islands look

That was my plan exactly. I just forgot to take the pointy one down.

Okay, how long should chucking take before you see any change? I've had the tank up for 2ish weeks. I dosed it at 4.0 and it HASN'T moved. Not at all. My trites and trates are at 0 still. I guess was expecting to see something happening at this point. Am I just being impatient?

* cycling

Stupid auto correct.

Measurements from today. Do I do a water change or wait for the ammonia and trites to 0 then do a water change?

Attachments

• 1396918671208.jpg
    1396918671208.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 88
That's what I thought. So it'll be done when ammonia and trites are at 0 correct? You get rid of trates by water changes?

Back
Top Bottom