5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank is finally cycled! Did a huge water change to bring the nitrates down to 5. Everything else is reading where it should be. Planning on getting stuff this weekend either tonight or tomorrow. Here's what I'm wondering:

Fish: narrowed down to 3
Goby (aurora, clown, or neon)
Firefish
Possum Wrasse

Can I do all 3? If not which 2 would you pick?

Inverts: since I did mostly base rock and only a few pieces of live rock there is next to no algae in the tank. Should I do inverts or wait until the algae covers more of the rock? Maybe just get a few snails to clean up uneaten food? Also how do I encourage good algae growth?

Corals: I'd like to get 1 or 2 coals this weekend since my tank is just stark white right now. In my brain, I see both rock Islands covered in Zoas maybe Mushrooms and the smaller Island having some sort of tree looking coral. My question is the top of the larger Island is right under the outflow of the filter. Will this be too much flow? I attached a pic of the tank. I took it while I was doing the water change so the water level is low.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds good! A fire fish would probably need the whole 10g, if you wanted that to be the single fish. Otherwise, you might be able to fit two gobies together (I'm sure someone else will chime in about this.)

About algae, many people will tell you a cuc isn't necessary. But many people like them regardless! I personally think a few snails and shrimp add a nice touch to a reef :). Also, you could add a snail or hermit at this point, however you are right that there isn't any serious algae food yet. You shouldn't try to create more algae (it will develop over time. Be glad you don't have to battle with the stuff lol.)

As for flow, many corals (such as GSPs or Anthelia like ample flow.) If necessary, you can always adjust the filter or rockscape if you want to put a lower flow coral on that peak.

By the way, I really like your scaping! One bit of advice I have is to pick out a snail or hermit that has some coralline on it, to seed your tank (or a piece of live rock, either way.) Overtime, your rock will color up with algae and such to make the rocks less "white" looking.

It took about 1 1/2 month for my base rock that I added to my twenty to start getting coraline. Still not totally covered but its there. Looks silly next to the live rock I bought from my lfs haha

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I didn't like the way it looked mixed live and base rock so I just stock the live rock pieces to the back.

My first addition to the tank! 1 Dragon eye coral frag. Hope it does well. Thoughts on placement? I'll take pics once it opens. I also have one of the lfs ordering me a citrinis clown goby. He should be in end of this week beginning of next.

Attachments

• 1397943940609.jpg
    1397943940609.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 1397944093328.jpg
    1397944093328.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 51
After going back to the lfs like 6 times yesterday, I ended up getting another large rock covered with green Zoas. It also has a small lame spine attached to it. We'll see if it survives. Anyway, there was also an arrow crab there that I really liked. Knowing I have a clown goby coming and will mainly have Zoas, would this be a good addition to the tank?

*orange sponge

Tank pics. Don't mind the background. My grandparents did this underwater puzzle for me. Yes there are dolphins wearing sunglasses. :)

Attachments

• 1398018855305.jpg
    1398018855305.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1398018870152.jpg
    1398018870152.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1398018882798.jpg
    1398018882798.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 1398018893595.jpg
    1398018893595.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 53
Say hi to Nigel.

Attachments

• 1398204635805.jpg
    1398204635805.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 1398204665511.jpg
    1398204665511.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1398204684664.jpg
    1398204684664.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 45
Say hi to Nigel.

I'm sorry to say this as arrows are very fascinating creatures - but they are definitely not reef safe, plus they can get far to large for a 10g. They will pretty much eat any corals, small fish, or other inverts in your tank.

I'm sorry to say this as arrows are very fascinating creatures - but they are definitely not reef safe, plus they can get far to large for a 10g. They will pretty much eat any corals, small fish, or other inverts in your tank.

+1. Arrows are not fit for that size tank. Very interesting creatures though.

Why didn't anyone say something 4 days ago when I asked about it BEFORE I got him? From the research I've done it sounded like it should be fine as long as he is well fed. According to liveaquaria they are reef compatible but opportunistic like most crabs. I guess I figured if they are all opportunistic I might as well get one that looks cool.

Arrows will usually kill inverts no matter how well fed they are, and they may go after your fish at night. That's pretty much just what crabs do

Arrows will usually kill inverts no matter how well fed they are, and they may go after your fish at night. That's pretty much just what crabs do

So people who keep crabs don't keep fish? How can we get the possible fish being eaten to a minimum?

I personally wouldn't put an arrow in a 10g tank. They can grow to 6" and that tank is only 20" long. That makes me kinda nervous. Along with that the tank is 12" wide, and I just feel they wouldn't like it. I didn't chime in because I was on vacation, sorry. They do eat inverts and small fish though.

Can u return him?

Unfortunately no. That's why I asked about it before I got her. I'm going to leave her for now and see how she does. If I sense a issue I'll bring her up to the school. In the 29 gallon there is 1 bicolor dottyback, 1 jewel damsel and 3 snails. In the 55, there is an assortment of damsels, a clown, a six line, and various snails and hermits. Would she do Okay in one of these?

Back
Top Bottom