5 guys named Moe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbarcz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I'm Barbara. I have a 45g hex, with 5 adult Angels, 1 pleco, 1 silver large catfish (Flash), 1 german Blue Ram, and some live plants. I am not new to this hobby, been doing this on and off for years. This tank is going thru changes lately. I recently lost a pleco, a ram, a gold gourami, dwarf flame gourami. I test the water - nothing to speak of. I do 20% water changes, feed them 2 x a day, clean Magnum 350 filter on reg. intervals. What am I doing wrong OR are the 5 Angels declaring war on anything not Angel?:confused:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I'm Barbara. I have a 45g hex, with 5 adult Angels, 1 pleco, 1 silver large catfish (Flash), 1 german Blue Ram, and some live plants. I am not new to this hobby, been doing this on and off for years. This tank is going thru changes lately. I recently lost a pleco, a ram, a gold gourami, dwarf flame gourami. I test the water - nothing to speak of. I do 20% water changes, feed them 2 x a day, clean Magnum 350 filter on reg. intervals. What am I doing wrong OR are the 5 Angels declaring war on anything not Angel?:confused:

My guess would be the angels. That's a ton of fish for that size tank. Have any of the angels paired off?

I'm not really sure if they have, I suspect a pairing.

Are you saying that I now must submit my community tank into an angel tank for two?

Well as sinibotia mentioned, that's a lot of fish in a 45 gallon hex, its hard to avoid the aggression of angels in that footprint. However what specifically were the nitrates and how big/what species is the cat. Furthermore this isn't the environment for a sensitive German ram. They are quite touchy. I'd for sure look towards the angels too like sini, do you know the m/f ratio and are they spawning?

(Edit: a little behind)

First of all, thank you to both of you.

I never paired angels, so I am not really sure how to sex them. I really never intended to mate the angels, just to survive the angels, so I started with 5, lost 2 along the way, added 2 adults and after good tlc and them eating a school of neons they grew into this gang. The catfish is a silver catfish with long whiskers and he doubled his size since July.

First of all, thank you to both of you.

I never paired angels, so I am not really sure how to sex them. I really never intended to mate the angels, just to survive the angels, so I started with 5, lost 2 along the way, added 2 adults and after good tlc and them eating a school of neons they grew into this gang. The catfish is a silver catfish with long whiskers and he doubled his size since July.

Does the catfish have black spots?

Is it this?
pimelodus_pictus_5.jpg

That's a pictus cat, not bad for community tanks but twill get too large and active for your tank. They grow upwards of 6" and are very active catfish, so a very long tank is recommended. But because yours is a hex, it isn't fit for this guy. They also eat anything they can fit in their mouths. They are cool fish though.

Thanks for all your help.

I did not want to start another tank, my family may call an intervention ,LOL.

If anyone out there can tell me how to sex angels, or give advice on mating, I'd appreciate it.

I guess I'll move the ram to a guppy tank.

The pictus might move to my nephew's house. btw, he is a cool fish, that's why we refer to him as Spitz or Flash. Also, what is the life expectancy of the pictus?

Hopefully, the pleco can stay.

Back
Top Bottom