50g Walstad Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRMagno

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting another tank! found a 50g on craigslist for $50!:dance: I want to do something different with this tank and since the Walstad Method is low tech method, it's also low in equipment cost! I've been reading up on it an trying to plan accordingly. The main thing I am having a hard time figuring out is cycling. I've read some places that because of being densely planted from the start there is not traditional cycle and you can add fish right away. I've also read that the Miracle grow starts a traditional cycle rather quickly. Can anyone familiar with this help me out? Also if anyone has any tips or advice on what to expect with the start up, potential problems or common mistakes?

Lights - AH Supply 96W PC
Filter - Aqueon Quiteflow 50 with just sponge/filterfloss as media
Substrate - Miracle Grow Organic
Black Sand (maybe black gravel)

Stocking (not sure if I should start another thread? Mods?)
The Wife REALLY wants atleast one Angelfish so here is what I was thinking

1 Angelfish (could 2 work?)
2 Blue Rams
2 Boesemans Rainbowfish
1 Albino Rainbow Shark
6 Albino Corydoras Aeneus
and a TON of Shrimp

I'm not trying to have a huge stock, but that seems pretty sparse for a 50g? I would really like a school in there too, but have no idea what would work. Thanks for any help guys!!

went to get the tank and realized it is a 40 Breeder and not a 50g :facepalm: still got the tank because it looked in good condition. got it cleaned out and filled with water to test for leaks, all seems good so far. :)

same questions still apply as before, thanks for any help!

I love the Walstad method. Granted I only did it for a 1g bowl with just shrimp successfully. I had a 10g with that method also, but my bottom feeding fish upturn the sand, causing my water to always look dark. It doesn't harm the fish, but isn't so visually appealing to me. As a first time Walstad user, I'd caution you against doing such a large tank, but with preparation and an ability to follow directions you should be ok.

Make sure you plant most of the plants, then add the water. Taking great, great care not to disturb the top level of sand. My plants grew really well in this style of tank. I don't know about the no need to cycle part...sounds a lil fishie to me...

Thanks for the advice. I just read about the potential for disaster with Corys but have been reading that if you add them a couple months later once the soil has been properly water logged that it's a non issue. Regardless I'm still unsure of sand or gravel.

I plan to pay a ridiculous amount of attention to this tank and will continue thorough research. While I do guard against problems, I do see each one as a learning experience. You can only learn so much by reading without experience

I would say sand. That's simply based on the fact that I like sand better haha. On another note, of you are keeping shrimp, small shrimp, you will want sand. Small shrimp like RCS turn over the sand to find detritus. If you have gravel, it may be too much for your shrimp to handle. Also, Corydoras prefer sand to gravel. Gravel won't be the worst thing, but I think sand suits your tank better.

I have done multiple tanks with this method. I have only used gravel and have found it is not too big of a deal for the corys. After the first fill you are going to want to do large water changes for a few days afterwards. The dirt overloads the water column with nutrients at first so you will want to plant the heck out of your tank. Check out fishtanktv.com as well, they are practically dedicated to walstad tanks.

DirtyTankMan said:
I have done multiple tanks with this method. I have only used gravel and have found it is not too big of a deal for the corys. After the first fill you are going to want to do large water changes for a few days afterwards. The dirt overloads the water column with nutrients at first so you will want to plant the heck out of your tank. Check out fishtanktv.com as well, they are practically dedicated to walstad tanks.

Have you had shrimp with your tanks? They need the smaller grain size to find their food. But o suppose the bigger, heavier gravel will help keep the Corydoras from causing the dirt to get into the water. I have only done 2 smaller tanks in this method so I will defer my knowledge to yours.

Predfan27 said:
Have you had shrimp with your tanks? They need the smaller grain size to find their food. But o suppose the bigger, heavier gravel will help keep the Corydoras from causing the dirt to get into the water. I have only done 2 smaller tanks in this method so I will defer my knowledge to yours.

Shrimp are generally not too much of a problem, I have shrimp pellets that I generally feed them, also with larger gravel food/waste tends to gather in the small gaps in between each pebble, the shrimp gather in those spots and feed if not fed. Sand/small gravel can and does work, just be careful when moving plants, I would also cap the dirt with more sand than I would with gravel just to prevent any dirt breaking through too easily.

If you mineralize the soil (and use topsoil instead of potting soil) before adding it to the tank it will help bypass the nutrient overload/algae bloom period when initially starting the tank.

jetajockey said:
If you mineralize the soil (and use topsoil instead of potting soil) before adding it to the tank it will help bypass the nutrient overload/algae bloom period when initially starting the tank.

Gotta check what stuff going into the soil though. Some inorganic things in topsoil will spell death in the tank, but I'm sure all the reading you have done told you that.

Gotta check what stuff going into the soil though. Some inorganic things in topsoil will spell death in the tank, but I'm sure all the reading you have done told you that.
Well, yeah, I meant like pesticide free, fertilizer free topsoil. The basic cheap stuff at the hardware store works great. It's all in the mineralized soil how-to's. Just makes more sense to me to go that route than dump potting soil in and waiting for it to mineralize in-tank.

I have read about Walstad's tanks, but I have seen people define the Walstad Method in different ways. Are you planning any mechanical filtration, a bubbler, or are you are going for totally self sufficient?

In a larger tank like that, a HOB filter won't hurt. It would be pretty awesome to be self sufficient though. I've only done that with my 1g RCS bowl. In my 10g I have a supporting filter.

absolutangel04 said:
I have read about Walstad's tanks, but I have seen people define the Walstad Method in different ways. Are you planning any mechanical filtration, a bubbler, or are you are going for totally self sufficient?

I'm planning to have a small HOB at least for the first few months, but I'll just have a plain sponge in there. Definitely no bubbler.

Got the tank cleaned and leak tested for 24 hours. all is good there! I'll be doing a DIY stand and light/hood, so that has to be first. I plan to get started on the DIY Sunday, pick out the driftwood and rocks next week and have the plants ordered by next sunday. If all goes well this tank should be set up in 2 weeks time. When I start the stand I'll create a thread in DIY.

For the scape I was thinking I would do one large driftwood (mountain/peak shaped) on the left and two smaller ones on the right with a few river rocks placed around.

For plants I was thinking Red Flame in the back left side with cabomba and purple cabomba mixed in. I thought i would surround the driftwood bases with Dwarf Hairgrass. on the right side I was thinking some chainswords and maybe a crypt or 2. on the right side I want a X-mas moss wall. not sure what else yet, but let me know what you think of the planning and any suggestions!

Also instead of a HOB filter I was thinking maybe a pre-filtered powerhead with a spraybar attached to give a small current at the top. Not sure if that's even possible? any help with that would be appriciated!

This is the Driftwood I'm thinking of ordering

Attachments

• dw027-2.jpg
    dw027-2.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 89
So last night I thought I would check AH Supply and see how there Stock was. They had one 96W light kit, that's right, ONE. so it's ordered and will hopefully be here next week so I can keep on track.

I went to my LFS yesterday to get some Guppies for another tank and found some Driftwood:cool:. It's not peaked, like I originally wanted, but the centerpiece has some good hiding spots and then I got another piece that compliments it well.

Camping this weekend I went on a few hikes to look for good rocks to make a cave out of and some smaller rocks of the same type to use as accents. I think it will look very good. I am very excited about the 18in of depth to work with for this scape!

Bought a big tub to mineralize the soil in, now I just need a tarp and the potting soil by Sunday to start the process! My wife and I have decided on black sand as a cap.

Everything is on track, just have to narrow down the plant selection and order by sunday night!

Back
Top Bottom