55 gal planted PH is rising, why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I don't understand is why it's been perfect for 8 months and suddenly it's a problem?

What I don't understand is why it's been perfect for 8 months and suddenly it's a problem?

I think something has been going on behind the scenes (and beyond what you are testing) for some time now and it is finally showing up. Typically the pH drifts in the other direction over time.
It IS a closed system. Nutrients and fertilizers are constantly being added. Fish produce waste. Plants shed leaves. Through water changes and regular plant maintenance most of these nutrients are exported. However, a lot of matter remains and accumulates in the substrate where it is subject to biological and chemical conversion by microorganisms. It is a dynamic environment.
Just to reiterate, it is a closed system with no guarantee that the compounds being converted/removed will match the amount being introduced.

I think something has been going on behind the scenes (and beyond what you are testing) for some time now and it is finally showing up. Typically the pH drifts in the other direction over time.
It IS a closed system. Nutrients and fertilizers are constantly being added. Fish produce waste. Plants shed leaves. Through water changes and regular plant maintenance most of these nutrients are exported. However, a lot of matter remains and accumulates in the substrate where it is subject to biological and chemical conversion by microorganisms. It is a dynamic environment.
Just to reiterate, it is a closed system with no guarantee that the compounds being converted/removed will match the amount being introduced.

So what are my options moving forward?
I do regular maintenance. Anytime I see plant matter has made it to the bottom I remove it immediately. Im sure some have managed to hide though. What do I do?
My Co2 was running non stop (which is why I ran through what was left of my 5 lb bottle so quick) and the PH was still going up.

On mine I added a second diffuser but it is 150gal. I'd think one diffuser should work for your tank size but a second one I've found is very effective.

I have noticed on bottles here that the CO2 flow rate can reduce as the bottle gets empty. Would be interested how you go once the bottle is refilled.

Try drift wood u don't have to put it in a bucket forever u can wash it and put it in or keep it in a bucket for a little bit it will make ur water slightly tea colored gold the drift wood done with rocks hope this helps

On mine I added a second diffuser but it is 150gal. I'd think one diffuser should work for your tank size but a second one I've found is very effective.

I have noticed on bottles here that the CO2 flow rate can reduce as the bottle gets empty. Would be interested how you go once the bottle is refilled.

The diffuser I use is very efficient. I made it myself. This last bottle lasted 3 times as long as before I made it.IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0149.jpg

Your CO2 was running out is my thought. So the bps of large bubbles stayed the same but actually there was less CO2 injected. Easy test is to see what happens when bottle is re-filled.

Since the probe was checked with ph test, then CO2 should be cutting in at ph 7.1 as I understand below. So next up is the diffuser has a problem as this should be dropping ph back down. It may be something related like water flow (ie an injection and/or off-gassing issue) so that's what I'd look at next. Basically the equipment and tank setup.

I believe you have checked the source water and rocks, etc haven't changed in tank for months.

"The Co2 system I have is automated. It is set to maintain a PH between 6.8 & 7.0. When the PH rises to 7.1 it releases Co2. If it falls below 6.8 it turns on the air pump.
So it is basically running non stop. The bps has stayed the same at around 1-2."

Back
Top Bottom