55 gal set-up and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's Sat. night and I just checked the ammo. It was down to zero. Didn't check anything else. Doing a massive pwc (75%) then rechecking the levels.

Yep, since I'm still emptying it I can check the Nitrites and nitrates now. ....

Nitrites: through the roof! Turned purple before I was done shaking the tube for the 5 seconds.

Nitrate: still at 20

Watching my new invisible pets grow is turning out to be kinda fun. I feel like we're all in a race to beat the 1 month time frame. My kids and hubby think I'm nuts.

Day 11
So last night I did a 60% pwc and added ammonia. This morning's numbers are:
Ammo: 2
Nitrite: 5+ (turned purple just as fast as last night before the pwc)
Nitrate: 20, same as last night.

Thanks for reading along, folks. Makes this more fun. :)

In the last 12 hours the BBs converted 2 ppm of ammonia. So I added more. Didn't check the other parameters. Will do all of them tomorrow (with my one test tube as I broke the other three! :(

I guess I am waiting for bacteria strain#2 to catch up to the first.

Knocked one against the sink. Dropped one on the floor and tipped one over. Le sigh.....

I'll check my teacher's supply store and if they don't carry them I'll order online.

I broke one of my test tubes too! It fell on the floor.

I broke one and I thought I had it bad... Lol bless your heart... That
Makes it a little more time Consuming to test... Haha

I've thrown at least three across the room, probably knocked over half a dozen and slammed one on a sink...not a single one has broken. It must be good API karma cause I recommend the brand to everyone who joins the site, haha.

If I'm not mistaken...the refills of the ammonia test come with 2 new test tubes. You'll end up needing more ammonia testing solution sooner or later...so buying a refill might not be the worst idea.

Great, accurate tests...now if they could only make a test tube that wouldn't spray colors all over the walls if you don't hold a towel over it ;)

eco23 said:
I've thrown at least three across the room, probably knocked over half a dozen and slammed one on a sink...not a single one has broken. It must be good API karma cause I recommend the brand to everyone who joins the site, haha.

If I'm not mistaken...the refills of the ammonia test come with 2 new test tubes. You'll end up needing more ammonia testing solution sooner or later...so buying a refill might not be the worst idea.

oh, good. I'll just get a refill and be more careful.

Day 13

Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 5++
Nitrate 20

The ammonia is been cycled nicely.

My Ph went up!!!???!!!!

Day 14
12:20pm

Yesterday I added a capful of ammonia at 3pm and just now (noonish) it's at zero! Yay

Nitrite: 5+
nitrate 20-40
Ph: up to 8.2!!! What??? I thought it would go down. I double checked and re-tested and got the same result. I DID check the ph after adding the ammonia. Would that do it?

I am doing a 75% pwc right now.

Back
Top Bottom