55 Gallon African Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I think ill get one of those, and a few other assorted cichlids at petsmart.

Could a Rainbow or Red Tailed Shark work along with a Pleco in there??

Its still cloudy and I will be adding plants and more decor this weekend.

ForumRunner_20120911_072103.jpg

My Rainbow does well with my Africans. I would suggest you get a lot more rock and build it up in the back of the tank. They will need a lot more hiding spots.

vanimal said:
Could a Rainbow or Red Tailed Shark work along with a Pleco in there??

It may while there young but they will kill it I'm sure eventually

vanimal said:
Its still cloudy and I will be adding plants and more decor this weekend.

Looks good! I'd try and get some more rocks and spread it out some more. Over time they will want territories and not close to each other. That's when they will get more mature.

Andrew McFadden said:
It may while there young but they will kill it I'm sure eventually

Looks good! I'd try and get some more rocks and spread it out some more. Over time they will want territories and not close to each other. That's when they will get more mature.

Ok I will rearrange it once I'm putting in plants.

I hope she doesn't pick pink plants. I think they look horrible...

vanimal said:
Ok I will rearrange it once I'm putting in plants.

Not sure if we covered this yet but here it goes. Plants and Africans don't get along very well about 95% of the time. Just a heads up on that matter lol :). Mine was ok with them till they reached 1.5-2.5 inches then they just dug them up or shreaded them.

vanimal said:
I hope she doesn't pick pink plants. I think they look horrible...

I'm with ya on that lol

I tryed or did it in this order
I went from just rocks to wanting more other than rocks so I got fake plants. And it was working so I gradually added in real ones. Then I took the real ones out because of the reasons in my last post. So then I went back to the fake ones and I'd come home from work everyday to them all floating. So they all came out and I put in more rock work.

Andrew McFadden said:
I'm with ya on that lol

I tryed or did it in this order
I went from just rocks to wanting more other than rocks so I got fake plants. And it was working so I gradually added in real ones. Then I took the real ones out because of the reasons in my last post. So then I went back to the fake ones and I'd come home from work everyday to them all floating. So they all came out and I put in more rock work.

I had the same problem. It seemed like it was a game to them. My wife really wanted some kind of plant, so I found some more fake ones that were secured to a heavy rock base, them buried that in my sand. They haven't moved those.

Crawdaddy said:
I had the same problem. It seemed like it was a game to them. My wife really wanted some kind of plant, so I found some more fake ones that were secured to a heavy rock base, them buried that in my sand. They haven't moved those.

Other people have done the same or a tad different and have ripped them out over time because they would start looking really bad from them tearing them up. I am a true believer that every tank is different for the record. I was simply just giving a heads up that it can happen I know people here that have and haven't been able to keep plants with them. as for the shark it may and may not work aswell

Oh ok I was just wondering because my lfs has a cichlid display tank with a red tail shark and they seem to get along.

I'm facing the same dilemma here i'm prolly the next couple months- my rainbow is reaching around 4 inches in my 20 and Im debating whether to donate him to a lfs or just keep him there- it's no way I would feel safe with him n my 80 gallon with my africans he's way too mellow they would stress him out and my cobalt blue would prolly destroy him

What about this?
2 Firemouth Cichlids
2 Black Convicts
1 Bristlenose Pleco
And a Green Terror or Jack Dempsey???

Andrew McFadden said:
Those are not up my alley lol you may need to start a new thread for sa Cichlids or contact a mod to change your head line

Oh ok. Thanks for all your help! I just figures out the tank is actually 50 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom